Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silencers

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Well in the incident with the plumber who was murdered he was shot dead in the kitchen and the drug guy was shot dead in his sleep upstairs. They said that the plumber was shot then the drug guy in his sleep. Would you sleep through a couple of 9mm shots downstairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think maybe that's drifting a little bit away from shooting sports or sport shooting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

They said that the plumber was shot then the drug guy in his sleep. Would you sleep through a couple of 9mm shots downstairs?

Maybe he used abit of his own wares?:D After effects ,you need alot of kip.The kind that an Atom bomb might wake you up,just.Not a paltry 9mm.
    But going OnT again..asked this before ,what does the permit for the silencer look like???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

But going OnT again..asked this before ,what does the permit for the silencer look like???

Don't know my super refuses point blank to issue them. Even with adequate reason given

Lamping at night is easier on everyone if there's a moderator involved
    When hunting it can be difficult and sometimes dangerous to wear hearing protection so a moderator protects my hearing
    Farmer would prefer I used one to limit stress on livestock.
    Club would like me to use it to keep noise pollution down and limit damage to hearing of other range users.

None of the above would fly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sparks wrote:
    I think maybe that's drifting a little bit away from shooting sports or sport shooting...

Only slightly to clarifythat they have seen illeagle use in this country but I think that we've gone down that road enough alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

what does the permit for the silencer look like???

There's no set format. The one's I've seen are pretty much just a letter on headed notepaper from the Super.

Veg,and all
    over on www.reflexsuppressors.co.uk/licensing.htm
    there is some good info on all this including the HSA and reduction of noise at work act UK.[We have simmilar here,check it out yourselves].There is one very good point on this which has not been considerd here.If you are employed full or part time,or self employed as a stalker,culler or whatever.You are obliged to use whatever means of saftey equipment at your disposal or provided.So basically ,you want to put good HSE practises to work.Might be another point that the Super is preventing you from using proper "saftey equipment" in your "workplace".

CG, supers have already seen the "I need a supressor to save my hearing" argument. The response has been a recommendation for earplugs and a denial of their application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Several supers do grant authorisations to prevent hearing damage - as with so many other aspects of firearms licencing, no standardisation nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote:
    CG, supers have already seen the "I need a supressor to save my hearing" argument. The response has been a recommendation for earplugs and a denial of their application.

Yes and ear plugs are sh1te for hunting with. You cant hear the quarry or other hunters out with you, not very safe if someone is trying to give you a command referring to your safety.

Again my question is why?
    Why not just grant the permission? What exactly are they afraid of happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

Ear defenders are fine for target work but completely irresponsible and dangerous when out hunting.

If your license has been granted for hunting you would imagine that the licensing authority would be insisting on safe hunting practice ?

Ear defenders are fine for target work but completely irresponsible and dangerous when out hunting.
    As I recall, it was a target shooter who tried the H&S angle and got told to use earplugs.

Nope Sparks,if you are referring to the article in the ISD,methinks it was a hunter.
    I only included that for those who are applying so that they would have some better on paper facts,then just a well the hearing needs protection cos somone says so.

Civs dead right,it comes down to the inconsistency of Supers,nothing else.

Oh,I suppose they think we will all become professional hitmen and massacare all and sundry with our 22 rifles silently.Or those cute cans of 3ins that they see on the TV,that can be fitted on anything from a 22 revolver:rolleyes: to a BMG 50 cal,will be freely available to all and sundry so we can silence everything and there will be silent killings galore:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

It was suggested to me that I should get a Moderator and the SAC brand
    was mentioned. After being at the 50m range and people hearing quite
    a large bang from what looked like a .22 but was a .17.

It was suggested that I get one without a serial number
    (I do not know if they come with a number as standard or not)

With Regard to the Legall matters of them I have hearing two conflicting
    pieces of information.

A)I here that you need written permission from the Local Super before you can
    use one.

B)I also hear that you can just buy one off your local dealer and go into the
    gards station and simply declare you own one and get anyone of a sargent
    rank (not necessary the FO) and get them to rubber stamp your licence
    and hey presto you can stick it on the end of your barrell.

B sounds like an ideal world but in reality its more likely to be A.

Can anyone in the know shed any light on the matter ?

Also I have a CZ 452 Varmint .17HMR so I dont know if I was to
    get a moderator in the future if I need to get one of a specific dimensions
    with regard to the thread diameter since I have a bull barrell.

Now I loved the the noise from my rifle but at the 50m range it was distracting
    for the .22 shooters that were fireing there.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

the sak will do just fine for the .17hmr and the fact thats its a bull barrel wont make any difference its more of a plus as it acts as a thread stop when fitting the mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I have the SAK on mine and takes all the whack away just leaves a sharp crack cant see any other mod being much better theres nothing left to moderate.

Makes such a difference while out shooting

bulletts
    For what it's worth;
    The silencers dont come with serial nos,at least any I have seen here.
    it is up to you to,or Gardai to request the nos put on it.

A is the offical procedure, B is proably the most likely way things are done.:)

Advertisement