Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid MS error messages

• 13-03-2007 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

It's a pleasure to troubleshoot Microsoft OSes when your an administrator, you get all kinds of very useful information, like- 'there are unused Icons on your desktop', 'the system preformed and illigeal operation and will be sent directly to jail', 'you turned something off just there!' or 'it not working- Send, Don't Send', 'Computer sez no!, no! NOOooo!'. The best one is when you are the system administrator and you get this one

stupidmserrormessagesei3.png

Please share any of the horrible experiences you have had with Stupid MS error messages. and if anyone can post a hack as to how to make these error messages more useful or at least funny let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

By far my favourite one was on a Windows 98 machine. I went to delete a shortcut from my desktop, and I got:
    Restrictions are in effect on this computer, Contact the Administrator.

In case anyone is wondering, their are no administrator accounts on a single-user system, and I didnt use one of those tools to set a policy on the system, the problem fixed itself when I rebooted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Please share any of the horrible experiences you have had with Stupid MS error messages. and if anyone can post a hack as to how to make these error messages more useful or at least funny let me know.

You could just turn them off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You've obviously never used SAP.
    An ABAP Error (no. 0x00013235) occurred. Press F1 for more information"

You press F1. What does the help screen say?
    Message No. 000125634

An ABAP Error (no. 0x00013235) occurred

I **** you not. Sometimes you even find stuff in German.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

Yeah, I have used SAP, the numbners are to be quoted to third party support who mails you the fix or gives you instructions over the phone, it's all about the money$$$, oops! I mean knowledge. Anyway, good call I'd put SAP in the same basket for withholding proper troubleshooting info, you can't buy SAP without signing up for a certain SLA, HP are going the same route, There is more money in Knowing how a system works than building and distributing one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Unexpected error, quitting

When working with VB, thanks. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Microsoft Word used to give a message like
    "your hard disk may have a problem, please get it checked by a technician "
    when it should have said "put the floppy back in the drive"

The white box
    "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close" - the same thing from Office 4.3 to Office 2000

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

1163920496-1162657596387.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

1163920496-1162657596387.jpg
    That screen was the solitary bane of my life, without the cat of course

Advertisement