Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone received their DELL VISTA UPGRADE yet?....

• 13-03-2007 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

or is it all a scam, i'm pretty scepticle at this stage about the whole thing :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

No. I emailed them and they responded quickly. They should arrive in about a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

no not yet, despite x5 phone calls and x3 emails to them.

when you ring up on the phone the common answer "our systems are down at the moment" or "there doesnt seem to be an order here with that number".

they ask to call out your details and they repeat back the details wrongly, it takes at least 10, minutes to give them your email address and order number. spelling out each letter phonectically.

also as far as i know the upgrades are outsourced from dell, so dell dont have any direct control over the orders

this has been a pure disaster for an "express" upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

gordonnet wrote:
    no not yet, despite x5 phone calls and x3 emails to them.
    Why would you be ringing them? It clearly states that they wouldn't be available for 4-8 weeks after the public release. That brings it to the end of this month.
    I'm waiting on 22 (and counting) btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

so we're prob lookin at april 2008 before we get it but hey, look at this way, maybe all the bugs will be fixed at that stage, might be for the best....:o

you know to register with dellvistaupgrade.com yeah?
    It's MS sending it out not dell.

• Advertisement

oh ye, have that done since before christmas, says its benn pending since tho, ah well i'll be patient!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I've been waiting on one as well though it is not MS that is sending them out it is in fact Dell or whoever they subcontracted the process out to if they did that like some other manufactures.

Some other brands have been getting the updates like HP & Sony though it can be sporadic depending on the model.

The unofficial reason for the delay is "apparently" down to testing and support vendors like Dell don't want to send out the upgrades without drivers and support being in place so that means testing against all the software Dell ship on the system and every possible combination of hardware Dell sell in that series along with of course waiting on drivers and testing 32/64-bit as well.

Very annoying to be sure that it has taken them this long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

AFAIK, Dell are shipping two CDs:
    1. the equivalent version of Vista based on what came pre-installed on your system when you bought it
    2. all the hardware drivers you need to match your exact system based on the details you provide when ordering [system tag, COA]

It seems they're trying to recreate the experience of booting up a new PC. I bet their image of Vista will have all the gunk of software on it to make your beast of a machine crawl.

Some of my orders (but not all) have changed status from "pending" to "in process" so it looks like things are starting to move.:)

Has anyone had their credit cards debited yet? I am tempted to use a 3V voucher but don't want to have it expire within the two-month window before the order is actually processed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Whats all the rush for Vista people?

Ive been using Vista Ultimate on a m1210 with 3GB of RAM for about a month now and I just dont find it as good as XP Pro.

ethernet wrote:
    Has anyone had their credit cards debited yet? I am tempted to use a 3V voucher but don't want to have it expire within the two-month window before the order is actually processed.
    Nothing taken from the credit card yet but Dell don't usually charge until shipped. Don't know about using a 3V card though.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Nothing taken from the credit card yet but Dell don't usually charge until shipped. Don't know about using a 3V card though.
    As I feared. Best use someone else's card so just to be safe.

juliuspret wrote:
    Whats all the rush for Vista people?

Ive been using Vista Ultimate on a m1210 with 3GB of RAM for about a month now and I just dont find it as good as XP Pro.
    I use ms technologies in my job.
    Therefore I want to be familiar with new MS technology.
    Even if I don't envisage using it in the course of my job in the near-future.

Latest from the order update site:
    Dell has begun shipping the Windows Vista Upgrade and plans to have all eligible orders shipped by mid-April, 2007. In addition to the Upgrade, you will receive a Dell-developed Upgrade Assistant. This tool will walk you step-by-step through the Upgrade process, assisting in the installation of Dell-provided drivers and the removal of incompatible applications. The Dell Upgrade Assistant will only be made available to Dell customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

hm.. isnt the upgrade just going to change the xp into vista look? Apparently the upgrade isnt that good.

No it will be vista.

just on the off chance,has anyone got theirs yet? fair play to dell tho, they are so considerate cause by the time we get it, all the bugs may be fixed :p

just on the off chance,has anyone got theirs yet? fair play to dell tho, they are so considerate cause by the time we get it, all the bugs may be fixed :p
    Nope, still waiting. You're right about fixing the bugs. SP1 will be out by the time out upgrades are shipped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Wow, and there was me thinking HP were rubbish not getting theirs out until the end of March :eek:

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote:
    Wow, and there was me thinking HP were rubbish not getting theirs out until the end of March :eek:
    Dells date is now pushed back until the end of May now.:rolleyes:
    Dell has begun shipping the Windows Vista Upgrade kits based on the order in which redemptions were received. If you purchased an eligible system and validly redeemed your Windows Vista Upgrade during the noted timeframes, you will be notified via email when your Upgrade kit ships. Dell expects that all Windows Vista Upgrade kits under this Program will be shipped worldwide by the end of May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

:eek: May now what a joke.

Dell are really loosing it, getting hammered by HP as well in market share.

If the May date slips I would not be surprised at all :rolleyes:

Received most of mine today. Still a few more to come but at least they're moving. The order status pages never updated to they had shipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Recieved mine last friday, but by christ I had some craic getting the sound card (creative x-fi) to work, took 4 days and a 400 Mb beta driver file from a bunch of nerds in the US to get it woking

Damn....still waiting on mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭MjM

I just got mine about twenty minutes ago. Whats with the COA on the piece of cardboard?? If I sell the laptop with Vista I have to give the piece of cardboard too!! It would have made sense to have it as a sticker to stick to the machine. I guess they have their reasons...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My sister is still waiting for hers. She left it fairly late to redeem it (well she didnt know how to do it and left it at the last minute for me to do it).

She doesnt really need it but all the same if we paid for it we should have it

MjM wrote:
    I just got mine about twenty minutes ago. Whats with the COA on the piece of cardboard?? If I sell the laptop with Vista I have to give the piece of cardboard too!! It would have made sense to have it as a sticker to stick to the machine. I guess they have their reasons...
    Did you see the big red label under the COA that says "ATTENTION! ......To validate your product, remove the CAO label and affix it to your PC."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭MjM

Ahh yes now I see it, I saw the attention etc but I just skipped over the all important last line. It has a peel away backing too. Cheers for the heads up on that.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement