Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wines

• 13-03-2007 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Does anyone happen to know off the top of their heads what mainstream off licence stocked wines are veggie? Also if they know if nederberg wine is veggie? I checked their website and vegsoc and nothing was mentioned.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I think Tesco mark their own brand wines. not sure though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, or marks and sparks. though, i'm not a wine drinker myself so i wouldn't know. perhaps the wine forum could help you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I think it would be very difficult to find wines that definitely don't use animal products. It's common within the industry but I've only ever seen it mentioned ONCE on a label that fish protein was used to fine/filter the wine. The wine was from New Zealand, don't expect European wines to be informative, even mentioning the grape on the label can be a big deal for them. You generally won't have much success trying to find out on vineyard websites either.

I wouldn't waste my time going to the multiple supermarkets. Go straight to your local organic shop. The Quay Co-Op in Cork city stocks some wines. I have no idea if they are strictly vegetarian, but shops like this are a good starting point. They will have a small range, obviously, but you may find what you're looking for.

I may be wrong but I would also imagine that biodynamic wines will be less likely to use animal products. Febvre will soon begin distributing a range of French biodynamic wines, including red and white Bordeaux, Cremant du Bordeaux, Merlot, Chardonnay, Rielsling, Chenin Blanc and Muscadet. I guess you could always call them up for further details. See their site www.febvre.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I forgot to say, and I'm completely open to correction on this (in fact I'd welcome it as I'd be interested to know the actual position), but sometimes you'll see the V (for vegetarian) symbol on some supermarket wines. But it doesn't mean that no animal products were used it its production, only that no traces remain in the FINISHED wine. . .

As far as I'm aware, there are other ways to filter wine apart from isinoglass (fish protein). I should really research it instead of trying to guess! Maybe tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

rediguana wrote:
    The Quay Co-Op in Cork city stocks some wines. I have no idea if they are strictly vegetarian, but shops like this are a good starting point. They will have a small range, obviously, but you may find what you're looking for.
    [/url].
    They keep a list at the back of the shelf that you can consult. They carry about 10 Vegan wines including a sparkling one.

Advertisement