Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon First Timers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

In fairness to the Cork organisers they have some real runners involved in the organisation and appear to be taking it seriously. For example the plan is to funnel off the relay runners at the changeovers so that they do not impede the marathoners and that there will be a water/drinks station at this section so the marathoners will not have to queue behind relayer's.
    Well that's good to hear anyway. Sounds like a sensible approach to the issue of mixing the relay with the marathon. I'd heard there were a few experienced runners involved in the organization alright. Those guys from the BHAA (Business Houses Athletics Association) know what they are doing. They do a great job every year running shorter races around Cork, and their flagship event the annual Cork - Cobh race which is always a very enjoyable race. Anyway here's hoping that the Cork Marathon will go off smoothly and there won't be too many teething problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PrideWinner

Running is not meant to be easy.If you are going to give something a go like a marathon at least train for it properly.There is no fun in run.Remember u got to have winning mentality.Nobody enters an event thinking there going to lose.So fun runners stick to sauntering around the phoenix park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

wow, people feel quite militant about this don't they. I'm just glad there are a bunch of people out there in their trainers getting sweaty. It's better than them sitting on the couch. The world would be a better place if people lined up correctly at races, particularly walkers in marathons but if they don't I'll just run around them. I might remind them how rude they are though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Running is not meant to be easy.If you are going to give something a go like a marathon at least train for it properly.There is no fun in run.Remember u got to have winning mentality.Nobody enters an event thinking there going to lose.So fun runners stick to sauntering around the phoenix park

I think at least 9990 people enter the Marathon knowing that they aren't going to win the race. I run in the pheonix park for fun and have also ran 5 marathons also for fun. I train properly so that I can enjoy running these events. So for me there's loads of FUN in RUN. I don't win the races but I do feel like a winner when I cross the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭ZiggyStardust

Well said......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

here here, if was not fun I would not be running in the first place. OK, some days I ask myself what am I doing but at the end of the day it makes me feel good and gives me a buzz and I love feeling reasonably fit and healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭donaghs

There is no fun in run.Remember u got to have winning mentality.Nobody enters an event thinking there going to lose.So fun runners stick to sauntering around the phoenix park

Its getting a bit silly. An sane person respects the fact the better runners should be up near the front so they are not impeded by slower people. But to say that there's "no fun in running?" Its a proven fact that exercise makes you feel better. I can be fun while you do it, and there's a high afterwards. And the good feeling lasts much longer. I get this from running more than any other sport.

As for entering an event to lose? Nearly everyone entering their first race can't expect to win. But its an amazing feeling to finish your first long-distance race. This spurs you on to compete harder. Running is enjoyment. Admittedly if you're running totally flat-out, exhausted and in pain, you won't feel the benefit until after the race.

Fun-running gets people into the sport. Curious first time runners don't tend to have the mentality of choosing between winning at all costs or self-loathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Get out of my way fun runners

ok ok. rather foolish thing to say. firstly because i derive a great deal of satisfaction and have a lot of 'fun' in training myself. secondly because everybody regardless of ability is at one point a first timer. now lets put this issue to bed.

p.s. good luck with the training first timers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jason_77

Hi All,

Having read this thread about the marathon first timers, I am deeply shocked and disappointed with the attitude of a number of posters.

If you have logged onto this site, you obviously have an interest in athletics. At one stage we were all beginners and sought help from the more experienced runner. Can you imagine if you logged on here as a beginner and saw some of these posts? How would it make you feel? I would get the impression that people did not want beginners in the sport.

I consider myself to be relatively new to the sport of running and I take pride in every achievement I gain, from my first 5 mile, first 10k, first half marathon and eventually my first marathon in Belfast yesterday. Each of these achievements took considerable effort at the time of undertaking them.
    It is the same for all beginners, we all have to start somewhere and build on our achievements and for that all runners should be applauded.

Can posters please be mindful of the beginners and give them all the support they need in order achieve their goals and hopefully aim for the full marathon one day.

With regards the relay runners in the marathons, as mentioned I ran Belfast yesterday. The marathon field comprised of approx 1500 runners, while the relay teams made up over 10000 runners. I found the relay runners to be very supportive on the route, and it would have been a very lonely run but for these people. At no point did they get in the way of the marathon runners and the change-over points were organised and marshalled very well. I suspect that this event may not go ahead if it was not for these relay runners. It is also worth noting that many of these relay runners were probably achieving a goal for themselves and hopefully the first of many running events. A huge amount of money was also raised for the various charities by these runners.

Please show support to all runners out there, Elite, Club and Fun runners alike.

Hope you all enjoy your running and best of luck in any event you partake in.

Finally, if you have any inkling to do a marathon just go for it. A tremendous sense of achievement. Don't worry about a sub 3 hour time, just enjoy it all.

Jason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

congrats on your run Jason_77, I'm glad U experienced the euphoria of crossing the line after your first marathon.
    I don't mean to be dissing the newbies, sure I am no pro myself. I sometimes just get annoyed with inconsiderate runners/walkers out there, those who do not know their place along a race start. I have lots of respect for those starting out, I was one of them a few years ago. About supporting them, well I am usually working too hard to manage supporting anyone else but myself ;) but generally I've found that runners alike tend to look after each other.

so what's your next marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jason_77

No marathons planned yet.
    Anyone know of a marathon around July/early August. After that I am away travelling for a few months, so it could be next year before I experience it again.

Will have to settle for the adidas series.

The only Irish one I know is Longford marathon but that is late august (26th). If you're willing to travel for a race
    www.marathonguide.com do a fairly good USA and International listing as do www.runnersworld.co.uk for UK events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I think it's a lack of understanding on teh part of new walkers / runners who don't understand that chip timing means that it doesn't matter when you cross the start line. Last year in Dublin I lined up in the 3 - 3:30 section and there were three or four people directly in front of me carrying Tesco plastic bags full of sarnies and bottles of Coke!

That said the way it was done in Dublin, with sub 4 hours having one colour number and 4hr+ a diff colour would have worked really well had it been better policed. I personally found it was a lot clearer early on becasue of it. Either that or do like Longford and have a seperate (earlier) start for the walkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Hello all, I'm just back from my first 20k run. I did it on the treadmil in the gym and I feel CHUFFED stupid! Apart from my usual dodgy start everything went pretty smoothly (okay, I admit I did stuggle with putting my shoes on after my shower, my toes kept cramping up).
    Anyhoo, I just wanted to share/shout from rooftops.
    Have a good weekend.

great news. milestones are great. Don't worry about the problems bending down. I was fine after my first long run until I needed to use the toileet. Sitting down was fine, getting up hurt - a lot!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Ah yes Hunnymonster, I see what you mean. I just got up from my desk to get a drink from the kitchen and good lord. Ye-ouch.
    It would appear I need to grease my muscles with some hooch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭onekeaneo

Hi all,
    This is my first time posting on these boards and I plan to run the Dublin Marathon this year which yes will be my first Marathon and my first race (if I don’t run the half Marathon before this). So with this in mind I suppose you could call me a novice. Having said that I have been running for almost 5 years now. I consider my fitness to be of a decent standard. Last week I ran the furthest I have ever ran. 19 miles in 2 hrs 40 mins. If my training goes to plan I would hope!! I could finish the Marathon in 3.30. But to be honest I won’t be beating myself up if I don’t. For me finishing will be enough this time round. Granted I won’t be lining up at the front of the grid and I understand the frustrations of elite runners trying to get passed walkers and first timers but to say to people not to bother and to “stick to sauntering around the phoenix park” is very harsh to indeed to first timers. I have to agree with Jason77. I mean come on lads a bit of support for us first timers!!!!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

I'm training for the Dublin marathon in October. For the last month I have been struggling with a groin strain I picked up in the last soccer match of the season. My physio ws only letting me run on grass and on the treadmill for the last two weeks.

I have a 10K race next weekend and was wondering, is training on grass and on a treadmill going to hinder my performance in the 10K?

Should I ditch this type of training and get back on the roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Ditch the roads!
    The best bit of advice I ever got was to do more training on grass surfaces, rather than on the road. It does no harm, and will save your knees.
    Pounding out miles is tough enough, without doing it on the roads.

I found it tough initially, and it took my ankles a while to get used to it, but now it's second nature. I'm lucky in that I live near a University Sports ground, so a full lap of all pitches is 2 miles, and hence, it isn't that boring and repetitive.

About 70% of my training is on the grass, with 10% on the track and 20% road.[It can vary a good bit though]
    All bar 5% of my racing is on the roads.
    I have a 10K race next weekend and was wondering, is training on grass and on a treadmill going to hinder my performance in the 10K?

Should I ditch this type of training and get back on the roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭onekeaneo

aburke wrote:
    Ditch the roads!
    The best bit of advice I ever got was to do more training on grass surfaces, rather than on the road. It does no harm, and will save your knees.
    Pounding out miles is tough enough, without doing it on the roads.

Don’t agree with that at all. This will be my first Marathon but all my seasoned marathon runner friends and my physio have advised to do just the opposite to be honest. Yes running on grass will help your groin in the short term and the punishment on the legs. But your not running the Marathon on the grass. You need to get your muscles used to the hard surface of the roads for long periods. Therefore the bulk of you training needs to be on the roads. If you do the vast bulk of your training on grass then your legs won’t be used to the harder surface come race day you’ll be in trouble.
    I’ve also struggled with my groin this year and to be honest the only way around the problem is to bite the bullet and rest it up for the 2/3 weeks, whatever it takes. You say your football season is over now so this would be a good chance to rest up, get the problem sorted fully and then get stuck into your training.
    Like I said I’ve struggled with my groin in the past and that’s what my Physio suggested. I took her advice and I’m back now in full training with (touch wood) no problems. Heading out this evening for a 22 miles run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement