Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish recipes

• 13-03-2007 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey there, i used to go to howth in the morning the odd time to get all the fresh fish and freeze it for later but a new fish shop opened recently beside my house:D They dont have a major selection but the stuff the do have is 10 times better than the muck you get in supervalu or tesco.

Out of interest tho, does any1 have any nice recipes using fish as im getting kinda bored with plain fish and wanna experiment with new flavours.

I got salmon, lemon sole and mackerel fillets along with scallops and scampi to start with but if anyone can recommend recipes using others aswel i wil try at a later stage.

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ohh - fish pie!

Fry a finely chopped onion & carrot in butter/olive oil.
    Cook slowly until soft.

Meanwhile - cook some potatoes that have been cut into chunks - bite size.
    Steam/boil them until they are just about cooked - as they'll get a finish in the oven.

In a dish, lay out some smoked fish + some white fish. Plop in a few small tomatoes and some spinach if you like.

When the carrots/onions are cooked - add about a carton of cream. Sometimes
    I do half milk/half cream.
    Let that come to a simmer - and after a few mins, add a handful of chopped parsley and a good bit of grated cheese.
    Whatever you fancy - cheddar, parmesan. And the juice of half a lemon.

Put the spuds in the dish with the fish, and cover the whole lot with the cream/cheese mixture. Put in a med oven for about 30 mins.

Or you can mash the spuds and put them on top if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

my favourite recipe of all time for salmon would be pasta with salmon in a white wine sauce - it's quick, easy and just delicious!
    works best with tagliatelle

since making the sauce only takes a few minutes start with boiling water for the pasta.

for the sauce bring 200 ml of cream and 100ml of milk to the boil, season with 1 tbsp of mustard and some salt and pepper, add some white wine. cut the salmon into chunks and put into the sauce, cook for about 5 minutes. salmon is done so quickly, that's why i love this recipe.

serve with the pasta and enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

olaola wrote:
    Ohh - fish pie!
    Great receipe, very like the one I make, the only extra I make is a good dollop of Strong Irish mustard in with the cream

Nice mackeral fillet dish

Mix up some butter, dijon mustard, lemon juice and zest and cracked pepper
    Score the fillets cutting into the flesh, smear with the butter mixture and grill

serve with mash and creamy spinach ( fresh grated nutmeg in the spinach is a nice touch)

Clean plates guarenteed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Devilled Mackerel , a Rick Stein recipe worth a go . Actually the Rick Stein books are great for simple / not so simple fish.

4 x mackerel fillets
    bit of butter butter
    1 tsp caster sugar
    1 tsp mustard powder
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp ground coriander
    2 tbsp red wine vinegar
    1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    2 tsp salt

Heat the grill to high. Slash the mackerel skin at intervals on both sides, Melt the butter in a dish, stir in everything else. Add the mackerel and turn once or twice until well coated, spreading some of the mixture into the cavity of the fish. Transfer to a lightly oiled baking sheet or the rack of the grill pan and grill for four minutes a side, until cooked through.

Mackerel goes a nice reddish brown and is dead tasty, if you like spicy fish.

or if you fancy some bass,

wrap a whole bass in tinfoil with a bit of white wine, salt, lemon / lime juice, parsely etc. one parcel per person and stick it in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Lovely way to eat bass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This isn't a dinner dish, but could be served as a starter/snack.
    (It's the first thing I do when I get get in to door after fishing.)

Take 1 mackerel, remove head, tail & guts, then rinse.
    Place in a large pot of simmering water & poach gently for 10 mins.
    Season with malt vinegar & plenty of white pepper.
    Eat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

rediguana wrote:
    You should add that to the Food & Drink Web Resources. There are some cracking recipes on that site. Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Hill Billy wrote:
    You should add that to the Food & Drink Web Resources. There are some cracking recipes on that site. Nice one!

Yeah, I added it, cheers. Some nice recipes alright, a lot of them pretty simple too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Take a pair of mackerel fillets, a piece of root ginger and some soy sauce.

Grate the ginger and squeeze the pulp in a piece of kitchen paper to collect the juice in a bowl. Add some soy sauce to the ginger juice and brush the mackerel with the mixture. Grill.

Serve with plain boiled rice and some pickled veg.

(Just to be clear - I am straining the ginger through the kitchen paper to collect the juice) ;~)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Scallops are great with oven roast tomatoes.

Cut some tomatoes in half, add slivers of garlic and a collection of fresh herbs, some sea salt and pepper. Leave overnight.

Remove the herbs, drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven for one and a half to two hours at about 160 degrees.

The tomatoes should lose some of their liquid but not dry out. The intense flavour of the tomatoes goes well with pan fried scallops.

To bulk up the dish, add a splash of white to the pan with scallops and tomatoes - then toss in some spagetti or better linguini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Some more food for thought, (bad pun)
    http://www.bim.ie/templates/recipes.asp?node_id=346

Advertisement