Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Dane/Great Bernard

Options
  • 13-03-2007 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

My parent's St Bernard had a litter of pups about two weeks ago... woohoo. But it turns out our neighbour's Great Dane is the father.

She is locked up in her run for most of the day and when she is out and about she never strays. I guess she must have got away for a quickie at some stage :D

Anyway, has anyone seen a Great Dane x St Bernard. I know they are going to be big dogs, but just wondering what they will look like.
    I tried Google, but could find any pictures and only a few references to the cross.

She had quite a big litter. 10 pups and 2 died at birth. The rest are healthy. It was her first litter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Most bitches will stray when they're in heat, funnily enough...

No idea what they'll look like, but they sure will be big...
    Do they all have short or long coats, or a mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

hey any chance of some pics would love to see what they are like

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

With a big litter of big puppies like that, the mother will need all her resources (and more) to feed them.

If your parents haven't done so yet, please have them consult a vet to supervise and monitor mother and pups to ensure that no harm comes to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

I've never seen Great Dane x St Bernard, but other GD crosses I've seen are usually very big dogs. I keep Gds myself, and they are not a breed for everyone so I hope you can find the right home for each puppy. Please consider asking your parents to spay their bitch shortly to avoid any more "quickies".

peasant wrote:
    With a big litter of big puppies like that, the mother will need all her resources (and more) to feed them.

If your parents haven't done so yet, please have them consult a vet to supervise and monitor mother and pups to ensure that no harm comes to them.

Yes big time... They'll all need to get vaccinations ... which wont be a small bill. I dont know what age these need to be done as have never bred pups..
    And its a good idea to spay the bitch when the pups have been weaned as well.

eta, they need to be vacc'd at 8 weeks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Jaysus,I'd say they'll be monsters. I'd love to take one off your hands but my garden ain't big enough.

fits wrote:
    Yes big time... They'll all need to get vaccinations ...

Not just vaccinations, which is still a bit down the line.

What I'm talking about is that 10 feisty, big pups like that could literally suck the life out of their mother. Serious nutrient deficiencies with long term negative health effects for both the mother and the pups are on the cards here.

A large litter like that should be monitored by a vet, doubly so if it is a large litter of large pups. Several (or all) of the pups may need to be hand fed, to give the mother a chance to recuperate and the pups all the nutrition they need.

Please have all of them checked and looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

They have a few other dogs. AnotherSt Bernard, Irish Wolf Hound, ****zu and a terrier.

peasant, the pups have all been checked with the vet soon after been born and checked again since. Parents have got advice on the pups from our local vet, so things should be ok

racso1975, I'm still waiting for some pictures to be sent to me. As soon as I get them I will put up a few here.

Danes, she won't be spayed for a while. They were thinking about getting her in pup at a later stage and having one or two more around the house. This litter was a bit of a slip up. I'm sure they will still keep one or two of the pups either way.

Rabies wrote:
    peasant, the pups have all been checked with the vet soon after been born and checked again since. Parents have got advice on the pups from our local vet, so things should be ok

Good to hear !

(If herself and myself hadn't sworn a solemn oath that three is definetly enough, I'd be sorely tempted to take one of those lumps off your folks :rolleyes: )

A friend of mine has already asked about one, his dog died a few months back. Something is needed to fill the emptiness in their house. Although, not too many households can handle dogs of that size.

I miss my doggies :(

*cries*

• Advertisement

Peasant, I meant about the vaccs in addition to your advice of getting mother checked out...;)
    Rabies, it sounds like your parents are handling it well, I'm sure they will find good homes... if you want some help with homing them when the time comes just ask here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Mr.B

Hey Rabies,

They sound like they will be lovely dogs. I had looked at getting a second dog for my boxer as companionship and had looked at great danes and St. Bernards as they are a favourite of mine...and now you got both of those in one!!!
    I'd be very interested in one of those pups if they become available. I have a large enclosed garden and it would be very well looked after. Let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I managed to rehome two Greate Dane/Rothweiler crosses. They were Huge, really huge. They had problems with their hips and didn't live very long.

Gas looking dogs though, big (great Dane height, but much bulkier) in proportion and scary.

hey rabies any update or pictures. Hows pups and mammy doin?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

I too would love to take one, have just moved house and have a big garden and my current teddy bear would love a play mate in the garden!

The are all doing great. I'm still waiting for the pictures to be sent over. Old people and technology :)
    Will get on to my parents again about the pictures.

im checking back! still no pictures!

I was talking to my dad this morning. He promised me he will send them this week.
    Really want to see the little (big) guys. They are about 5-6 weeks old at this stage.

Id say they are pretty big now and at full size they'll be huge!

Have they decided what they are gonna do with them yet?

• Advertisement

Well, here is a picture.

Everybody.... Ahhhhhhhhhh

yup they are lovely. the white paws are so cute on them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

They are adorable!!!! Awwww!!!!

racso1975 wrote:
    yup they are lovely. the white paws are so cute on them
    All of the pups have white socks and are very alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Rebel Racer Dan

Oh my god they are absolutely adorable!!!!!!!

Advertisement