Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting over plaster

Options
  • 13-03-2007 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Just wondering how long you should wait before painting over plaster? Got some done about 10 days ago and it looks fully dry but I've heard from some people that you are meant to wait a month or so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

had a room skimmed week before christmas painted 1st week ofjan sitting there now and no probs (fireplace was quite thick cos it was patched and painted it anway and even its ok) the plastere said some builder he works with the painters paint the wall as soon as theyve finished skimming (sounds dodgy to me !) hope that helps

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have my whole house re-plastered last year and i would wait about 2 months, if its not fully dry the paint wouldnt stick or sometimes dries in bubbles. also before you paint, get a sand block and sand the whole wall down, wait for the dust to settle (a few days) and this sounds mad but hoover the walls to remove all the dust and hoover everywhere before you start - good luck with it all, i really dont envy you:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

oh make sure you prime the walls first, water down some cheap white paint and lash it on the walls to secure a base :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Thanks,that's a great help!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

irishbird wrote:
    oh make sure you prime the walls first, water down some cheap white paint and lash it on the walls to secure a base :D
    the only place this has been done is in my bathroom - most of the paint has peeled off the walls !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

irishbird wrote:

Make sure you do this and not do what I did put the paint on straight from the can and then had to sand it all off again.:(

I waited 6 weeks before painting.

Advertisement