Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat Dash Wiring Loom

Options
  • 13-03-2007 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

In a bit of a mess here - my dashboard wiring loom has gone up in smoke, the *whole* thing has melted, due to a dodgey stereo wiring loom - so I need a replacement, and somebody to fit it.

The car is a 2000 B5 VW Passat, 1.6 litre with what I think is the S spec (sun roof, 2 front electric windows, e/mirrors and that's about it).

The VW dealer consulted their ETKA and came up with a price of over €1000, far too much to have to pay, unfortunately.

So instead I've been ringing scrap yards and salvage yards - hundreds of them, literally. So far I've managed to locate *nothing* for my exact model of car, but I have found two other looms which *may* be available:
    One for a 1.8litre turbo petrol, and one for a 1.9 litre TDI.
    Edit: Also located a dashboard loom in a 1.6 litre audi A4, year 1999. Reckon it's the same, I know the two cars share a *LOT* of parts?

Does anybody know can these wiring looms be adapted to suit my car? Keep in mind, as far as I understand this I *only* need the dashboard section of the wiring loom, and not the engine section.

Would I be correct in assuming that the looms would only vary in the part where they connect to the engine - the connectors for electric windows, sunroof, stereo, etc would still be all the same?

Finally, does anybody know of somebody dismantling a 1.6 litre passat by any chance...?

Thanks
    Cian
    Edit/Delete Message

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

IF I was doing the job I'd much prefer the correct wiring loom. If get a different one you may find that you have extra/missing wires. Some of the block connectors may be different and/or have different wires terminating at them which are used for different functions. Also the length of the wires may be different - possibly leaving you short by some centimeters - this will definitely be the case with the Audi loom.

Additionally, there are various earthing points and other connections within the loom itself - if you get one thats slightly different you may find that some items do not function.

While the cars share a lot of parts it's quite possible that some of the parts are merely 'similar' rather than identical - especially as the years may be different, some parts may have been superceeded or changed altogether.

Go back to the dealer and the parts guy how many different versions there are for your model - you might get lucky and there may be only one type, but somehow I doubt it. I'd definitely steer clear of the Audi loom - too many potential differences.

Unless you really, really know what you are doing, it's not a DIY job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Go back to the VW parts dept you were at. Get the part no from ETKA. Then ask them to ATP (i think it's called, gone a bit rusty) the number and see what other models the exact same loom comes up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I have a part number myself, I might try the online ETKA thing and see. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

what site do you use for the online ETKA
    thanks

www.vagcat.com -you need to register, but after that they give you all the parts, and prices - and best of all, diagrams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

Great thanks.

cianclarke wrote:
    www.vagcat.com -you need to register, but after that they give you all the parts, and prices - and best of all, diagrams.

I didn't know that! Nice one. I'll try that out right away!!

By looking at www.vagcat.com it would appear that you need one of either 3B2 971 315 or 3B2 971 315 A or 3B2 971 315 B depending on your chassis number. There is a 3B2 971 315 C option but this doesn't have a chassis number range attached. No matter which one you need, the prices listed are in excess of $2000 :eek:

The part numbers may only have a small difference (last letter) but be aware that the 2 parts in question could be seriously different.

I've never used vagcat before so I can't say how accurate the part numbers are, but having worked in a VW/Audi parts dept for years, I do know that VW continually revise part numbers - so it really depends on how up to date vagcat are with the catalog. In any event, based on the price vagcat are quoting, I'd be more inclined to source it here from a VW dealer.

Incidentally, what part number did the dealer give you?

www.passatworld.com/forum is a great forum too, any info you need you'll find here.

No part number from the dealer that I can see, just a printout of exactly what was in the VAGcat. And yeah, scary price!
    Howver, I have managed to source a 00' 1.6l passat in the buy and sell for parts. He'll let me take out the loom for a few quid, but it's in limerick. Just have to arrange to get somebody to go up and take it out, I know it's a nasty job...

cianclarke wrote:
    I know it's a nasty job...

And then some!

If possible remove your old loom one plug at a time and fit the replacement as you go. That way you'll know what goes where (everything is colour coded too) and you'll also be able to keep the newer loom in more or less the same position as the old one. Be careful that no part of the new loom will chaff against anything metal (or sharp) or you could be back to square one!

Best of luck with the job - I mean that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement