Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitled to refund for motorcycle?

Options
  • 13-03-2007 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

hi,

bought motorcycle in January. Was told it had a full service :rolleyes: Came with 3 month warranty. So, far i have returned it on 3 occasions to shop due to various problems - total of 7 weeks back in shop since January. Can i ask for full refund? Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

ambasite wrote:
    hi,

bought motorcycle in January. Was told it had a full service :rolleyes: Came with 3 month warranty. So, far i have returned it on 3 occasions to shop due to various problems - total of 7 weeks back in shop since January. Can i ask for full refund? Thanks.

Do you know of a good solicitor? I wouldnt take that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

key question here is the motorbike brand new or second hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

bike is secondhand.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Can you elaborate on what the problems were. It could have a bearing on whether you should be refunded.
    You can ask all you like for a refund, but it will depend on the shop. The entitlement is for repair replacement or refund at their descretion, but the more your problems continue, the stronger your case for refund is.

Also, what makes you believe the bike was not serviced?

Note: this is my line of work, so Im from the other side of the counter, so to speak.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Can we ask the name of the shop ?. I had the same problem last year and in the end I got my money back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

ambasite wrote:
    hi,

Had the same problem about 5 years ago with a shop in Kimmage, asked for a refund after a month and got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I also had an issue like this. I bought a jap import bike and had it back in the shop many itmes as the bike kept cutting out. they could never find a problem with the bike. untill, after the warrenty was up, the bike went on fire. it turned out the puel pump was cracked and had seised up. I had to argue that they cover the cost of repair as it could be seen this was the porblem all along.
    This shop in question was in rathfarmham and now in churchtown

KatieK wrote:
    Can you elaborate on what the problems were. It could have a bearing on whether you should be refunded.
    You can ask all you like for a refund, but it will depend on the shop. The entitlement is for repair replacement or refund at their descretion, but the more your problems continue, the stronger your case for refund is.

Also, what makes you believe the bike was not serviced?

Note: this is my line of work, so Im from the other side of the counter, so to speak.;)

oil leak, break light, seals (?), carb problem.... how can all these turn up on a bike that had just been fully serviced? think i am been taken for a ride, mainly because i know feckall about bikes, this was the main reason i went to a dealer rather than buy private, i knew i would have to pay higher than going private but i thought it would work out better - i.e. a dealer would not sell a lemon - keep customer happy, will come back in future etc.. :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I just asked because if it was simple things like cables etc well, you could say sh!t happens.... But it does sound like youve had more than your fair share, and they really should take it back. Ideally buying from a shop should mean you are safeguarded against problems. And occasionally shops can sell bikes in good faith, that seem to be cursed, and continually have things go wrong! In that case I think most shops will cut their losses and take it back.

Ask them. Be firm about it. And let us know what the response is.

KTRIC wrote:
    Can we ask the name of the shop ?. I had the same problem last year and in the end I got my money back.

probably not a good idea till i get it sorted.

• Advertisement

Noelie wrote:
    I also had an issue like this. I bought a jap import bike and had it back in the shop many itmes as the bike kept cutting out. they could never find a problem with the bike. untill, after the warrenty was up, the bike went on fire. it turned out the puel pump was cracked and had seised up. I had to argue that they cover the cost of repair as it could be seen this was the porblem all along.
    This shop in question was in rathfarmham and now in churchtown

snap, cbr250 by any chance?

Advertisement