Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xp to vista upgrade problem

• 13-03-2007 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I was using windows xp, i was logging on as administrator blank password, there were also two old accounts but i wasn't using them, I've just upgraded to vista and the login screen just has the two accounts, i don't know the password on these accounts. There is no option to logon as administrator, im locked out, is there any way around this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

try safe mode

this works with xp
    1. Log on to Windows by using the administrator account

Note You cannot log on as usual by using the Administrator or Computer Administrator account to a Windows XP Home Edition-based computer or to a Windows XP Professional-based computer in a workgroup. To log on as the Administrator or Computer Administrator, you must start Windows XP in safe mode. For additional information, see the "Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional in a workgroup" section.
    2. Click Start, and then click Run.
    3. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK:
    control userpasswords2
    4. Click the user account that you forgot the password for, and then click Reset Password.
    5. Type a new password in both the New password and the Confirm new password boxes, and then click OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

safe mode does work with xp but in vista you get the same login screen when in safe mode - the pretty one with big buttons for each account, i think im going to have to wipe, i can't believe no one thought this would be a problem

ok i got an ntfs boot disk, i can access the filesystem, if i delete the sam will i be able to login does anybody know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

A password less XP Admin account will be disabled for security reasons under Vista which is why the problem your having is coming up as it is assumed you know the passwords to the other admin accounts.

The only scenario I know of that will make the admin account reappear at the safe mode logon screen is if all other admin accounts have been deleted.

So I don't know if deleting the other old accounts under the Users folder is worth a try or not but it could be worth a go at least if no-one else has any better ideas.

i gave up and did a clean install , so many programs lost :(
    your suggestion above might have worked, i should have checked here first

• Advertisement
Advertisement