Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explaining to clients that some things just don't work!?!?

Options
  • 13-03-2007 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm sure anyone who's in business here will be experienced this. When a client refuses to listen to reason about how he wants something done on the web. We have one such guy who won't take our advice and wants us to basically make his homepage like a book cover. I won't upload the image here he supplied us but trust me it isn't going to work. It has no room for any text, it's a full graphic that wouldn't look even slightly out of place on a book. So I've told him what we think but I don't have any references on the web that I could get him to read that might change his mind.

Any suggestions anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

generally, clients trust your expertise in a certain area, and there should be joint agreement on the way a project is going, but if someone wants something a particular way, after explaining why it doesnt work, just give it to them, or terminate the project, is this an initial meeting or are you half way finished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

i have come across lots of customers like that.

if you are at the start of the project don't do it. make your excuses and walk away.

if you are mid project, give them what they want and take your name off everything, and walk away as soon as contractually possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

It's part of a bigger contract so no walking away from it and the guy is not going to stop being a ponce any time soon. But if there was some best practice information for homepage layouts on the internet that I could reference, not just that we say so. If I get these links I can send them to his bosses who should be able to reel him in. ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

maybe not quite what your looking for, but a start?

http://pedesign.co.uk/blog/xhtml/xhtml-column-frameworks/

Advertisement