Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawksmoor - Ackroyd

Options
  • 13-03-2007 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

My father has been at me to read this book for years.

Anyway picked up a copy about 3 weeks ago and he left me with the message to stick with it that the beginning chapter of ye olde english is tough going but it is worth it.

Anyway I have got through it and starting to really get into the oddness of the book. Nicholas Dyer is possibly one the strangest characters i have ever come across!

Informed my father of my feat and he informed it is to get rather disturbing and increasingly complex.

Has anyone else read this book?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Yeah I read it a while ago. I really enjoyed it I have to say. An excellent historical novel. Found the main character Nicolas Dyer was so likeable despite his dark obsessions. Also enjoyed the notion that past events can control the present and that Dyers actions have consequences for the dectective Hawksmoor.

Ackroyd took the idea in part from a book called Lud Heat by Iain Sinclair which I tried to read but couldn't get through. Its supposed to be a poem but is more of a collection of different writings which deal with the mystical topography of London. Its the sort of thing you pretend to have understood to try look smart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Excellent thanks!!
    Reckon ill give the Sinclair book a miss but the reference will sure make me look smart!! so many thanks! ;)

I think Nicholas Dyer is a fantastic character. So utterly strange, but likeable indeed.

Advertisement