Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atonement - Ian McEwan

Options
  • 13-03-2007 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

I have had this book for 2 years now! (was lost for a while) and am finding it very hard to get into.
    Yet, my father and my sister rate as an utterly excellent book and are convinced I would adore it, so much so it was my father who bought it for me.

Ive put it down and forgotten about it many times and like to finish what i start but has anyone else here read it or a fan of Ian McEwan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

BeatNikDub wrote:
    I have had this book for 2 years now! (was lost for a while) and am finding it very hard to get into.
    Yet, my father and my sister rate as an utterly excellent book and are convinced I would adore it, so much so it was my father who bought it for me.

Ive put it down and forgotten about it many times and like to finish what i start but has anyone else here read it or a fan of Ian McEwan?

I read this years ago and really liked it! I don't know where you are in it, but if you are still in the first section which is describing the first day, when the 'incident' happens that affects the rest of the book (I know that sounds awkward, but am trying not to spoil plot, also I only have a vague memory of it myself as it's been so long since I read it, and there have been so many books in between ;) ) I thinkI remember that it was a bit long winded at times, because he is describing ever aspect of the day in so much detail. The narrative structure gets a little more normal after the first part. I read Enduring Love too and really liked that one as well. I have Saturday sitting on my bookshelf for a few months now... must get around to it sometime soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Yes, I took a long time to get through the start too. I think I left it for a couple of months even. Do stick with it, because it is well worth it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I started and gave up this book. I just don't really like McEwan's style of writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Whilst I haven't read any of McEwan's work I do have a general philosophy when it comes to reading, and basically if I try very hard to get through a book and find that I can't then I know deep down I don't like it, its hard to admit defeat sometimes (I have a vikrim seith book still to finish, but deep down I don't like it, even though I loved another of his 'A suitable boy') its just one of those things, some books can be slow to get into but there has to be a connection there between reader and book, (a bit like dating in a way, there has to be something) if nothing happens, then the book is just not your type,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Normally I would accept that too McGinty but ive got faith in my father!!

Have to finish Hawksmoor first!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

I've read it, it's an interesting premise and I like how he delves into the minds of the characters and shows things from their point of view. However some descriptions of nature and the weather etc. are just really too long-winded, I found myself skimming over some of it and I found some parts jittery so to speak, jumping back and forth in time with no clear cut transitions. It is a worthwhile novel to read though. I was a bit confused by the ending- does anyone know what was real and what was imaginary?
    There's a film being made of the book with Keira Knightly and James McAvoy. I can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

I finished this book a couple of weeks ago and really really enjoyed it. I'd say give it another go. I found it much easier to get into than Saturday but I enjoyed that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I read Enduring Love years ago and didnt really like it. I found it too cold and clinical. As a result I have always ignored Ian McEwan. Then earlier this year I read an article in a film magazine about the film. The way they talked about the book piqued my interest so I picked up a copy. I ended up loving it. That first section was excellent. It set the scene so to speak, and while some may feel it was stretched out too much I think that might have been the point. Reading it, it actually feels like the long summer day it covers. And because it jumps between protagonists we keep changing allegiances. All the while being aware that a screw is being turned and something bad is going to happen.

The second section was completely different, shifting the tone along with the setting. Throughout this section my allegiances were firmly with Robbie. Any time Briony was mentioned I would just think "that bitch". But when the 3rd section rolled around I was surprised how easily McEwan was able to make her understandable again.

Sometimes you look back on books and even though you know you liked it you are kind of removed from it. With this I look back on it with nothing but fondness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't want to spoil it but I feel that it's a book you have to finish to really appreciate the theme of atonement over time.

I would consider it to be one of his best only second to The Black Dogs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I despise Ian McEwan, I find his books to be unrealistic, pretentious and not very interesting. It's just unlikeable people doing unlikeable things which are neither new, original or relevant. I also find his books to be modern, easy reading derivitives of better works of fiction.

Atonement does exactly what it says on the tin. Read the blub and imagine that it's written in a self indulgent insenstive way and that's what you get. If you are impressed by McEwan's thesarus style of writing, and like the idea of reading about rape and war and childhood in flat, contrived terms, then Atonement is for you. If not, don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Is anybody else really looking forward to the film? I'm so glad to see it's getting good reviews. I wonder how they will deal with the ending, from what I've read it all seems quite true to the style of the book.

Advertisement