Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BnL Ball 2007

• 13-03-2007 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd find out what those that went to the ball thought of it!

I had a fab time but was bitterly disappointed with the music. Those of you who know me know how much I like to dance and there were'nt many chances to do just that! The Coronas were good but I didnt pay 75 euro to hear the lead singer of the Republic of Loose slag everyone off etc!!!! As for the DJ afterwards.........appalling!!! I know for a fact I'm not the only one that thinks so either.

Besides that it was brilliant. Food was really nice and the staff were very friendly. The hotel was also in a really nice locality and the view from the smoking area (the church) was beautiful!

I cant wait for the Farewell Ball now!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I can't remember most (nearly all) of the above features of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

I was sick the whole night with a flu I'd had for a week so I won't judge too much but......I didn't think it was good in any way shape or form. The only way I could see someone enjoying it is if they were absolutely hammered?

Chief Complaints:
    1. Trim is just too far away (1.5 hours on a bus)
    2. Waiting staff were rude and messy...spilt soup all over my shirt and on Besty's better half's dress also I believe. Dunno what you're talking about Font22!
    3. The food was far too long in coming
    4. Food was ordinary at best.....I had beef at the Law Ball and the B&L Ball and it was far superior at the Law Ball
    5. The room was not made to take that many people....if they had been at normal capacity they would have used round tables but instead used long tables so they could squeeze people in
    6. Font22 is right....the DJ sounded terrible

Last year it was in Naas area (40 mins away) and for reasons I still haven't figured out, I was sober that time too....but it was a far superior ball. This year felt claustrophobic and rushed....

Having said that, if you were blotto drunk you probably would have had a great night (then again people who are quite drunk enjoy Coppers so....)

* I'm not giving out about people who drink....I love getting drunk. It just clouds people's judgment of a night somewhat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

If we are going with lists of complaints/problems

1) Trim far to far away - bus there was good but u dont wanna face that trip home
    2) Trim far too small - hence so many ppl getting left without tickets
    3) 30 minutes plus between courses dragged out the meal far too long
    4) Because meal was dragged out so long they just didnt serve the final course
    5) Service was pretty appalling
    6) Music was Sh1t - when ppl go to a ball they want to hear songs everyone knows and can enjoy - none of this bringing in bands that non music fanatics don't really know - just get a band that will cover famous songs
    7) WHO THE HELL LISTENS TO HARDCORE TECHNO MUSIC ANYMORE - seriously
    8) The afters people didnt get in until something like 11.30 - while it didnt affect them being p1ssed off about it just spreads to the rest of the crowd
    9) people were not drunk enough (besty aside)
    10) I felt sick [partly from the food]

The Van is right, BnL ball last yr was much better - hopefully farewell ball is an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Who was the DJ? Was it a UCDer or an out of towner? Was it one of them "Dave or Lil'Dave" that they bring in for every single UCD event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hate normal bands playing at balls. So gack. They should at least get something interesting like a swing band or a 60s tribute band.

Who wants to listen to Republic of Loose in a tux?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

the DJ was some guy that went for ents a couple of years back i think. they better improve on all the musical mistakes for next year or the ball will be a complete disaster. but padser!!!! we were all plastered!!!!

Font22 wrote:
    but padser!!!! we were all plastered!!!!

Unfotunatly I felt so sick after the meal I hardly drank at all....but most of my table were pretty sober (including drinking on res and bus I would say averaging about 8/9 drinks each). Maybe that was just us though.......

It was made worse by being sober - but i think it was pretty disasterous anyway TBH

yea i suppose i was fairly tipsy so everything and everyone seemed great. but dont lose heart, the farewell ball is near and that will be good!!! i can feel it my bones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

gubbie wrote:
    Who was the DJ? Was it a UCDer or an out of towner? Was it one of them "Dave or Lil'Dave" that they bring in for every single UCD event?

Dave Redmond, afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

padser wrote:
    9) people were not drunk enough (besty aside)
    Oi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

TheVan wrote:
    Trim is just too far away (1.5 hours on a bus)
    padser wrote:
    Trim far to far away - bus there was good but u dont wanna face that trip home

A range of factors for the length of time it took to get down...
    1. Rush hour on a Friday evening
    2. Lightweight freshers needing to piss every mile
    3. Lightweight freshers needing to puke every 500 yards
    4. ****ty bus company? Everyone I knew who drove down got down in 35 minutes or less...

Trim is much closer to Dublin than Naas, I think Naas is the best part of 40 miles out of town, Trim 27. It's always going to take a little longer on a Friday evening, especially when the journey is across town from UCD to the Northwest and not southwest like Naas...

upmeath wrote:
    A range of factors for the length of time it took to get down...
    1. Rush hour on a Friday evening
    2. Lightweight freshers needing to piss every mile
    3. Lightweight freshers needing to puke every 500 yards
    4. ****ty bus company? Everyone I knew who drove down got down in 35 minutes or less...

Trim is much closer to Dublin than Naas, I think Naas is the best part of 40 miles out of town, Trim 27. It's always going to take a little longer on a Friday evening, especially when the journey is across town from UCD to the Northwest and not southwest like Naas...

a) Google maps put naas as 39.2 KM from Stillorgan. Certainly not the best part of 40 miles.

It doesn't seem to want to calculate TRim. Navan (61.7KM) is the closest to it. It is slightly further away on the map, but not by much more then 5KM or MAX 10KM.

b) It really doesn't matter how far away something is though - its how long it takes and the bus jounrey was I would say twice as long as last year.

c) Why on earth would you blame friday night traffic? Surely it's obvious that if you plan a trip on a friday evening that you are going to have to contend with friday night traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 snuffles84

it's about damn time someone stood up for young Quinnlavan here.

I thought the ball was pretty good by all accounts. The Van was sick for the night so his judgement is always going to be affected. I can understand the lack of enthusiasm for hardcore techno at the end of the night when really all you want is to jump around to the killers or form a big kicking troupe for new york new york. so to that extent there was no real climax to the night.
    but the coronas are one of the most popular bands in dublin at the moment and the loose were fantastic if people gave them a chance. and for the record they curse at each and every crowd they for. its actually quite endearing.

so fair play to quinnlavan for getting 2 quality bands, but yes they should have been on earlier, the food was crap and slow, the deserts paltry and there was no tea or coffee served at the end. on the plus side the place wasn't trashed so for once B&L students may not have to add yet another hotel to our banned from list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

snuffles84 wrote:
    the loose were fantastic if people gave them a chance. and for the record they curse at each and every crowd they for. its actually quite endearing.
    It's really really not. They are complete idiots, anyone would have been better than them. Other than the terrible music though it was a good night, Stephen did well

i'm not putting stephen down at all. i know how much effort it takes to organise something as big as that. what i was disappointed with was the manner in which the republic of loose handled themselves. i didnt pay that much money for a ticket to be insulted. other than that i agree, great night.

Advertisement