Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a hard decision please

Options
  • 13-03-2007 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hey..

well im stuck in a bit of a predicament here..i have a good bit of money on my hands which ive been saving up for a good while for..and now want to make my mind up on what to buy..

for the last few months ive been stuck whether to get a..

PS3 and five games,acceries etc and a 40inch lcd for me room to play it on...

or a

Gaming pc with above average components..

ive been back and forward on what to get..and now that the ps3 is coming up to release i want to make my final decision up now..

so what do you guys think i should do..or what would yous do if in my place?

Thanks

PS3 or PC? 27 votes

PS3
    0% 0 votes
    PC
    100% 27 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

IgsTer wrote:
    Hey..

well im stuck in a bit of a predicament here..i have a good bit of money on my hands which ive been saving up for a good while for..and now want to make my mind up on what to buy..

for the last few months ive been stuck whether to get a..

PS3 and five games,acceries etc and a 40inch lcd for me room to play it on...

or a

Gaming pc with above average components..

ive been back and forward on what to get..and now that the ps3 is coming up to release i want to make my final decision up now..

so what do you guys think i should do..or what would yous do if in my place?

Thanks

You could be waiting a while for 5 PS3 games that are worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

At least the PS3 is future-proofed, unlike a gaming PC, which will be showing it's age just 12 months down the line.

PS3. Or a 360 and a Wii. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭X-Ecuti0ner

gamin pc trust me. Playin online is playing buy yourself in your room. Being in clans is pretty good aswell. consoles get boring and games don't last long unlike pc games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

At least the PS3 is future-proofed

Only because the developers are forced to cater to out of date equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

You can't upgrade a PS3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

gamin pc trust me. Playin online is playing buy yourself in your room. Being in clans is pretty good aswell. consoles get boring and games don't last long unlike pc games.
    What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Definitely go for a pc.
    then again, seeing as you're factoring a 40" lcd into the price, I'd almost lean towards that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

It all depends on how long you wish your investment to last.

I'm in the same boat myself and have been pretty much purely a PC man until now.

But this time around I've decided to go the PS3 route. My reasoning is as follows, I can upgrade my PC once more and certainly will be able to get all the eye candy I want from the current crop of games but one year down the line things will be moving down the slider for detail and once more I'll be faced with looking at an upgrade the following year. The PS3 will certainly outshine anything the PC offers at present and in the upcoming short (and near mid) term.

Certainly the PC will catch up but the advantage for me is I'm buying into a fixed quantity which I believe will be cheaper longer term than doing say 2/3 more upgrades on my PC. Certainly games are dearer for a console (20 quid or so more not unheard of) but I don't buy many these days so it’s not so much of an issue.

I've looked at the 360, but it seems to me to be the same as the xbox before it i.e. PC games at console prices, lots of FPS and very little innovation. The wii while looking smart has a certain novelty value which I'm not sure will last long term.

All in all I’m quite looking forward to laying my hands on a PS3 come the 23rd, which isn’t something I couldn’t say about a new graphics card for example, but then again maybe since its all new to me it’s an easier sale since its such a different beastie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

At least the PS3 is future-proofed, unlike a gaming PC, which will be showing it's age just 12 months down the line

a Wii. :)

The Wii that is essentially a souped up Gamecube and considerably less powerful than any other current gen console or any modern PC?

I know what you mean though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Wii that is essentially a souped up Gamecube and considerably less powerful than any other current gen console or any modern PC?

A redundant argument, the Wii offers gameplay experiences that are unavailable anywhere else. It's USP is not graphics, it's the interface.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

If it was me I'd buy a PC... Tough choice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PC everytime for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

would u be getting the 40 inch LCD anyway ?
    if not do u intend to watch movies on the PC ?
    I reckon you can't go wrong with a console .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'd go with the PS3, it will play games of the same standard as your PC right now, and continue to play far better ones down the line without the need for an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

PS3. As Nekki said you'll be forced to upgrade your PC in a years time. It's futile.

I'd go for the wii and the 360. There's already a good few quality games out on both so you'll hit the ground running.

tba wrote:
    You can't upgrade a PS3

you don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Wii + 360, definitely.

What is your current PC like?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

well looks like pc is winning the poll :(

well my current pc is really a piece of crap..onboard gfx,celeron d processor and 512mb ram..the only game i play is enemy territory and have been playing it since i got this computer about 2 years ago..and have loads of mates on it..and i can play average with the fps i get which isnt good but its lets me play ok..the only reason why i want a pc is to play alot better on enemy terrirtory and maybe play some quake wars when the server that i always hang on with mates is empty..which is usually empty in morning until 2pm or so..so i could play quake wars until then..but thats really all thats going for me with the pc...the reason i want a ps3 so bad is because there are alot of games that i would really like to play..where as just two on the pc..

vasch_ro..i doubt id get the 40" lcd if i werent getting the ps3..im only getting it because it will really show off the ps3's gfx..and if im gonna be spending 600+ on a console games and stuff i may as well get the best i can out of it..and also i dont intend to watch movies on the pc..i watch all my movies and stuff down stairs on the plasma..i really only intend to play an extra game on the pc which is quakewars..because right now im able to come on the pc and play enemy territory when i like..and although it aint really a new and great game..i like playing it because i know loads of people..

i could always save up lets say 800 euro or so after i get the ps3 and tele etc and get your everyday average pc..that will play enemy territory better and maybe even play quake wars..

but if i choose to go down the pc route ill never have enough money to buy a 40" lcd again.. well not for a good few years..so its a now or never type of thing on which way to go.. :(

its a pretty hard decision :(

There are only 2 PC games you want to play? Really? None of the great games that have come out in recent years, none of the great ones that are coming out?

What PS3 games are you referring to that you'd really like to play? I don't doubt the potential of the PS3, and I think at some point in the future it will have a great catalogue of games, but that time isn't now. If you really want a PS3, fair enough, but don't let the hype or your love for shiney new things suck you in though, there are better things to spend your money on right now IMO, and you could get a PS3 later when more games are released for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It depends on the kind of games you like to play. I have a PC and a 360 (had both xbox and PS2 before the 360) and I spend 90% of my gaming time on the PC, as I like to play multiplayer online FPS games (keyboard + mouse ftw). The 360 is nice in that you can download demos and stuff from live on it, and it is currently tempting me to buy something from the xbox live arcade for the first time ever - Worms, but I still definately prefer my PC.

That said my PC is pretty beefy and i usually upgrade it every year and a half or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Zillah wrote:
    Only because the developers are forced to cater to out of date equipment.

You have your own thread.

Back on topic, its a tough call. If you have a pretty recently-out-of-date-ish (:D) pc, why not get a ps3 and maybe one or two games and spend the rest on upgrades? There's not 5 games worth getting on the PS3 as is, plus its going to be pretty hard to get for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

In this situation, I'd go PC. [well thats not strictly true, i'd buy a wii, a few games and spend the rest on beer and hookers, but i digress]

Currently the Ps3 mostly unknown, and as many people pointed out, you'd be hard pressed to find 5 decent games for it at launch and probably for the 6 months or so afterwards.

A decent PC will last you 3-5 years or so, if you build it right [and there is a whole forum here for just that sort of shennagins] and depending on which genres you favour, plus you'll have a fairly wide range of games to pick up at a cheaper price than Ps3 games, even if most of them are FPS's.

Then once the Ps3 has had a chance to settle down, and maybe drop to a reasonable price you could have another look then. Or pick up a Xbox360/Wii instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

you should definately wait to buy the PS3. It will drop in price and at that stage there will be a few games out on it that you will want. I'd recommend the 360 and get the telly too. Don't waste this golden opportunity for that big screen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Does the PS3 offer a VGA/DVI cable? I ask as I use my 360 exclusively on my widescreen LCD monitor that it shares with my PC :)

No, but the PS3 has HDMI, so you could get a HDMI to DVI adapter. But AFAIK your screen needs to be HD compatible (HDCP processing) to do that. You'd need to hook up the sound seperately (optical) then.

so many different posts with different but good and true views :(

its either ps3 or pc..i dont think ill be getting a 360...well games that i would get at launch would be formula one,motorstorm,probably oblivion (because i never played it and sounds good :D ) and then maybe graw2, fight night or nba street..i know some of these arent the best games but id say i could spend a good bit of time playing them..and games that id really like to play during the year like lair,spiderman 3,final fantasy 13,mgs 4,gta 4 etc..that said i could also spend alot of time on quake wars and other games coming out for the pc..

and yeah i would like to play some top rated pc games that have been released in the past..and new ones coming out in the future..but like im not thinking about playing them where as with the ps3 i think about playing games on a 40" lcd in me room with the sound full blast :D

my heads wrecked on what to get :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

IgsTer wrote:
    and yeah i would like to play some top rated pc games that have been released in the past..and new ones coming out in the future..but like im not thinking about playing them where as with the ps3 i think about playing games on a 40" lcd in me room with the sound full blast :D

my heads wrecked on what to get :(

Do you have a big enough room for a 40" LCD?

You do need to be a distance of around 8 feet away to be able to view it properly.

No point getting a huge telly if you are squeezing it into a tiny bedroom.

If you intend playing games on a 40 inch telly, then get a PS3 or a 360.

A PC if you spec it properly, you can upgrade every 1 + 1/2 to 2 years depending how hard core you are into games.

As long as you don't insist on playing PC games at the highest possible settings at all times, then you can great millage out of one.

In all honesty, if you can, get your cake and eat it too: get a PS3 and a PC and get the best of both worlds.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

you could get a 1080p tv and a ps3 if you want

i bought a 37" 1080p tv for only 1330 euro
    im delighted with the tv

its not a 40" tv but its close

and a ps3 costs around 630 euro(shops will probly add a bit on)

that sounds good..were exactly did you get this 1080p 37" tele?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/lcd-plasma-tv/lcd-tv-ab46/122850/-/Article.html?

there ya go mate ,just click Ireland and the tv will show up__________

not a well known make but look it up on http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425074&page=7&highlight=xoro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

IgsTer, is it just me or do you have absolutely no intention of getting a PC? You just seem to want to get a PS3. Well, just get the damn thing. I'd say you'd be mad (and quite lucky) to get one now, and would be much better off waiting for the next load come out, price drops and more games are available.

But still, with the money you want to spend on a PS3, games and 40" LCD, you'd get a kick as PC that'll do you several years.

Advertisement