Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Wikipedia Pages / link spam

• 13-03-2007 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭

Some people seem to think that the Waterford pages on the Wikipedia are links directories where they can just paste their adverts for their websites. The Wikipedia is not a a link directory.

Someone seemed to think that the removal of a link and advert for ciddytours.com on the Waterford and Waterford county pages was a bit too much considering that the upthedeise.com link was left in place. The reason, perhaps, that Upthedeise.com like was left in was specifically because it has published a dictionary of Waterford spam. However I don't think that that is enough to warrant the inclusion of a link to the site. So has anyone any opinion on whether the Upthedeise.com link should remain on the Waterford county page?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Waterford

And just to clear up the stuff about linkspam:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Spam

Regards...jmcc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I have removed the link to UpTheDéise.com as it (the link) adds nothing of relevance to the content of the Wikipedia page. If it is felt that the link is suitable then please discuss your rationale behind having it included

(89.101.110.223 18:34, 13 March 2007 (UTC))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Hopefully that will make some people happy. And a reply
    :
    I don't particularly object to the link being removed. I did not add it. I did delete a few obvious attempts at linkspam using domain name variations of the official Waterford websites. However I think that some mention of the "dictionary" of Waterford slang is warranted. Perhaps in a separate section about Waterford related books

Now if anyone wants to come up with a selection of Waterford related books that they've read, it would be a big help.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I personally think that a link to the UpTheDeise website is unwarranted and that a seperate page for the Waterford Slang Dictionary would be more suitable. Also, the link did not mention something a long the lines of "UpTheDeise.com - Publishers of the Waterford Slang Directory" and instead only mentioned that it was the place was Waterford links, chat, forums etc.

Also, the link did not mention something a long the lines of "UpTheDeise.com - Publishers of the Waterford Slang Directory" and instead only mentioned that it was the place was Waterford links, chat, forums etc.
    What was irritating was that there were some links to sites owned by Upthedeise.com that were variations of the official Waterford sites (the Waterford Tourism one being a good example.) That was most definitely linkspam.

If there is to be a section on slang, I think that the Mad Blaa section with the wav files of pronounciation should be included.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I deleted a link to ciddytours earlier on I think. How many encyclopaedias have people read that have links to fan/discussion websites on there? As jmcc said, it's not a links directory, nor is it a propaganda or tourism vehicle. It's just an informative article about the city of Waterford (that is the 'Waterford' city article).

I think the best way to add the dictionary of Waterford Slang is to add a footnote in the 'Colloquialisms' section that mentions a source when the Colloquialisms can be found. Otherwise we're just advertising a book, which is not what Wikipedia is about. Of course an article could be written on the book and a reference/footnote linking to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Incidentally, a sort of well meaning individual (made some weird edits) has made a poor addition to the De La Salle article about the recent Harty cup victory. Someone with interest/expertise might want to clean it up a bit. :)

De La Salle College Waterford

Looks like someone is trying to reinsert the link to upthedeise on the Waterford city page.(rv'd) Unfortunately the syntax of wiki links is escaping them.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement