Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Get into a locked Micra?

Options
  • 13-03-2007 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

The missus was just on and between her and her sister they have managed to lock the keys in the boot of the sisters 97 Micra. Anyone go tany genius ideas for getting into an old Micra (without dmaaging it). It has the little flaps on the handle for the locks, not buttons on the doors (dotn know if all Micras are like that), so that rules out getting something down and hooking buttons. Can you still use the wire coat hanger trick to pull the lock open? I'm guessign no.

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The micra doesn't have double locking. wedge something in between the door and the roof and slowly (slowly) bend the top of the door out. then stick a clothes hanger in and undo the door lock from inside the car.

Then with the door and window open, bend the top of the door back.

Get a spare key too!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah was thinking that, but if i get involved and damaged something (I'vee seen an awfull lot of micras around with dmage and kinks from robberies/attempted robberies.) i will never hear the end of it. Might try the get sisters boyfriend roped into doing it, I much prefer being the ideas man (less comeback :) )

cheers.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Get a spare key too!

It is the spare (or rather, a replacement) gotten after the original was snapped last year :D .

most recovery companies will professionally break in for you. they use an airbag to push the door out.

you could see about getting a key cut using the chassis number, you only need the mechanical part to get into the car, but it'd be a good idea to get a proper immobiliser spare key cut

Yea, they are leaning towards the aa (or similar). There seems to be a fear of damage.

smash a window. replacement glass not too expensive ;) if it's a 5 door, I'd reccomend the little one on the back door!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brick. Hey its a worthless Micra! :p

Mike.

petrol and matches while you're at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Pull off the seal that runs horizontally from the wing mirror back towords the door handle and have a look down into the door internals for bars etc, use a torch and you could also use some small wedges to improve the width of the gap. Then get a coat hanger, put a sharp bend on it and have a good auld root around. You never know your luck. (avoid electrical wires)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

I'm surprised to see a discussion on a public forum on how to get into a locked car.

:eek:

:confused:

imagine if some shady character sees this and figures out that cars can be broken into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

I think you know what I meant.

I presumed that's what you meant ;)

Is it that you can't believe the type of topics discussed on Boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You could try something like this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Jim_(lock_pick)
    (A long slim metal ruler does aout the same job with a couple of cuts)

You'd have to research whether or not it could actually be used with a micra, but i would assume it can.

Got it sorted in the end. The missus gave one of her friends a call. She has a 00 micra, key opened the door no problem. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Stekelly wrote:
    Got it sorted in the end. The missus gave one of her friends a call. She has a 00 micra, key opened the door no problem. :D

Anywhere one can buy Micra keys - you know for those nights out when you miss the nightlink? :D

you have got to be kidding.

colm_mcm wrote:
    you have got to be kidding.

Nope. Who'da thunk it.

Theres a used car place next door and it turns out at soem stage last year something similar happened. The guy usually has a fe wold micras and he tried a key in it that time and hey presto. They asked him again last night but he hasnt any micras at the minute.

Ah the ipenetrable (sp?) fortress that is the nissan micra. :D

Get a spare key cut FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

be intresting to see if that same "other key" would also start the car..

the car has an immobiliser so it's unlikely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

:eek: that is absolutly mad...
    ive got a friend with a micra...
    Going to have to try that and see if its a universal thing..
    Crazy.
    why bother giving them locks at all....

could be that both the lock and key have worn down and now are similar. scary!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

AFAIR if the keys are new it will open the doors and boot but if its worn it actually will start the car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Nissan' sfor the 90's are renound for having poor locks. A friend of mine has a 1994 Sunny & it starts with a teaspoon!!!!

A interesting point I read when I was in my VW phase, the VW Beetle/Type 2 van, Karmann Ghia only had 67 different keys. Can you believe that? One othe most manufactured ca with literally millions of cars with the same lock!!! Not sure if this was for the entire life of the production or if it was true for a particular period of production.

In 1995/1996 most manufacturers started to use the mircochip key that used a sensor around the ignition barrel. BMW call theirs the EWS system
    The Fiat system was a disaster in that if you lost the red (or was it blue) master key you couldn't get a spare cut. The system cost approx. £1000 to replace as it included the ECU!!!!
    I know a few people with Opels that the chip "fell" out of the key unknowns to the owner and all of a sudden the key stopped working, I think similar things have happened on other car make too.

Advertisement