Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Content Management System and update for a busy clan site

Options
  • 13-03-2007 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Myself and a few others run a clan called the Irish Online Army. The clan itself has 20 plus active members and amoung other things, we run 4 very popular public servers. However, our website is quite old and based around some old php cms (php nuke)that badly needs an overhaul. The website can be found at www.irish-army.net. The forums are also quite popular and are based on phpbb2.1. I had hand in neither of these, nor did anyone that is still currently in the clan.

Anyway, I have taken on the task of updating the website. Can you guys recommend a particular CMS that is flexible and pretty powerful but still easy to set up and manage. Will this change have any effect on the the existing forums. Also, would it require much effort to migrate the existing forums to a vBulletin solution?

I have a fair of HTML and client/server experience from college and personal projects so don't feel you need to hold back on specific details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

The CMS i've used alot is Joomla and i find it quite handy, easy to use and maintain. I started with it about 2 years ago or so here and since it's been passed to two other admins who aren't the most technical, but they don't seem to have any real issues with the system.

The only problem with this solution is it doesn't play too well with PhpBB forums. There was an intergration module last time i looked, but it had potential to break things in Joomla, badly. It might be better now, but still.

Either way, you should probably be upgrading the phpBB forums to the latest version [2.0.22, i think], or to the Beta of phpBB3. Or you could try SMF or vBulletin. SimpleMachines have a bunch of converts for all forums solutions here. No idea about vBulletin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Joomla would be handy if you are going for a general CMS, it also has a nice bridging feature for the likes of phpbb and smf. The nice thing about SMF forum software is the import utility to drag users and posts from a phpbb bulletin board into the SML system. Works like a charm.

Of course, if you are looking for a cms that has lots of ability as a Clan orientated CMS then e107 is good as well with lots of nice little plugins written by its community for clans and clan management. Or, you could use something like Webspell, a CMS designed for clans. We're using it on our site here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sas1

How's things?

I was just wondering if anyone recommend a fairly small, simple CMS? The site itself will be pretty basic, with less than 10 static pages, but the client will need to upload maybe 10 press releases a week.

I've looked at the likes of Joomla and and plone but they seem like overkill for what is needed.

What I really need is to have a template, let the client copy and paste the press release into the template, save the page on the server and a link to that page pops up on the homepage. No messin

Cheers in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

sas1 wrote:
    How's things?

I was just wondering if anyone recommend a fairly small, simple CMS? The site itself will be pretty basic, with less than 10 static pages, but the client will need to upload maybe 10 press releases a week.

I've looked at the likes of Joomla and and plone but they seem like overkill for what is needed.

What I really need is to have a template, let the client copy and paste the press release into the template, save the page on the server and a link to that page pops up on the homepage. No messin

Cheers in advance...

Wordpress ... easy to install ... lots of templates and fairly handy to modify ...

Easy to add new articles to it ... and they get categorised and so on ... by date / month ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement