Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade in LAW?

Options
  • 13-03-2007 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Just wondering where I stand if I go to a garage and trade in a car I know to be faulty. If the garage spot the fault after the transaction, am I liable as I would be if I sold it on the market?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You will have to sign a SIMI order form. It only asks about body repairs or structural damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jame5_b

does anythin actually happen if you do trade in a car that has been repaired without telling them..

depends on the garage. They could sue you though. Depends on how severe the damage was and how they found out. SIMI form is a legal doc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably depends really what is wrong with the car.

If the car is unroadworthy then they probably have a case against you. Not sure what the legal stance is on this though.

In my experience alot of garages expect little things to be wrong with a trade-in that are not spotted when the dealer looks at the car, they usually incorporate the cost of these small repairs into the trade-in price anyway.

Also the car dealer wouldn't want to lose face by admitting that the salesman didn't properly appraise the trade in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

bazz26 wrote:
    Probably depends really what is wrong with the car.

If the car is unroadworthy then they probably have a case against you. Not sure what the legal stance is on this though.

In my experience alot of garages expect little things to be wrong with a trade-in that are not spotted when the dealer looks at the car, they usually incorporate the cost of these small repairs into the trade-in price anyway.

Your expected to tell ordinary punters if there are major faults with the car . However when dealing a with a garage its up to the Garage to pick up the faults. Since they are the experts in the transaction and should know what they are doing.
    However if they do ask you a question such as "has this car been crashed" you better answer truthfully or you leave yourself open to legal action if they find out when doing a full inspection that the car was crashed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd say it's not worth the risk, and more than a little ethically dubious, depending on what exactly is wrong with the car..

Say for example WHATEVER is wrong isn't spotted and the car is sold on only to then be the cause of a (possibly serious/fatal) accident??

I could be wrong, but seems like the OP is trying to pull a fast one by not telling them the full history of the car?

Advertisement