Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless access problem - No default gateway

• 13-03-2007 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi I have a laptop and up until recently I was able to access any wireless networks without any problem but now for some reason it just stopped working & I can't access any.

I can connect to the wireless in collage.
    I can get a "Very Good" connection at 54.0Mbps.
    I have DHCP enabled and auto configuration enabled.
    IP & DNS server are both configured to obtain addresses automatically.

When I look under connection status my
    IP Address is : 169.254.63.10
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway is now blank & this is where the problem is.

I cannot get a default gateway so I am unable to connect to the internet.
    Packets are being sent out but nothing is being received.

I've tried ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew but I keep getting the same reply : "unable to contact your DHCP server".

I'm all out of ideas so any help is much appreciated,
    cheers,
    Bruce Fan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

Never mind I got it sorted.
    I just changed the Network Authentication under Wireless Network Properties from Open to Shared. That did the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 d-ma

i tried putting it on a shared in network authentication but it just disconnects.

d-ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Might be useful to someone else who finds this thread in a search:

When you end up with an ip address like
    Bruce Fan wrote: »
    When I look under connection status my
    IP Address is : 169.254.63.10
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway is now blank & this is where the problem is.

I cannot get a default gateway so I am unable to connect to the internet.
    Packets are being sent out but nothing is being received.

under conditions like above its good to know that the 169.whatever address was given to the laptop/pc by itself ie : it has no connection to the "gateway device" or the gateway device didn't give it an address

Why does it do this : For when you are trekking across the Antarctic and there is no internet Ireland and there is no internet ( access points ) , you want to swap photos with someone you meet who happens to have a laptop too. The two laptops will have to work out a connection between them all by themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I think the router has to have UPnP enabled to broadcast itself as a default gateway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I think the router has to have UPnP enabled to broadcast itself as a default gateway.

No need usually

Among a few more things DHCP will give the PC

An address for itself eg: 192.168.1.100

A Subnet Mask eg: 255.255.255.0

A Default Gateway eg: 192.168.1.254

Default Gateway (usually) = the next device on the way to the internet = (usually) your Eircom/BT/whoever router

( above might be handy for someone , someday )

• Advertisement
Advertisement