Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guards on M50 driving the 60k/h speed limit - with blue lights a flashing

Options
  • 13-03-2007 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭

Heh, just saw the guards driving with both hazards and blue lights flashing driving down the M50 at the 60k/h speed limit. After about 2min gathering traffic behind them they speed off at 80-90k/h up to the toll plaza where they again put their lights on... wierd, messing or seeing if that speed limit makes sence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Last week (sat iirc) I came onto the m50 at liffey valley heading soutbound, All of a sudden the traffic bunched up and pretty much stopped. After 10 mins of crawling a guy in one of those sign trucks (big huge flashing arrowtelling people to keep left , he was in the inside lane :confused: ) that had been leading the procession turned the sign off and continued driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I think, in order to keep ur sanity, its best not to think about what goes on on the M50... It'd melt ur head the things that go on on it. I go up n down it early in the morn(4-5am) n its bizarre the layouts they have... 90% of the time for no visable reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

unklerosco wrote:
    I think, in order to keep ur sanity, its best not to think about what goes on on the M50... It'd melt ur head the things that go on on it. I go up n down it early in the morn(4-5am) n its bizarre the layouts they have... 90% of the time for no visable reason....

Not to mention the last few miles south is 100 instead of 125 :mad: Whats with that???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Probably looking for a hazard on the road after somebody called it in.

Ready to do stop all the traffic get out and shift it.

As for the 60 km/hr limit its not really enforced. Its only there for when people do kill themselves on that stretch or for the 150 people who crash on the m50 every week.

Only they are responsible because if they had been going 60km/hr they would not have crashed in the first place.

Those signs need to be changed.... The speed limit on the sliproads down that end are 125km. Where's the logic(or safety) of allowing people to do 125 on the sliproad n 100 on the motorway..... I love this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Altreab wrote:
    Not to mention the last few miles south is 100 instead of 125 :mad: Whats with that???

I was told that was got to do with the locals, traffic driving at 100k/h are less noisy as traffic driving 120k/h. Crazy logic, in countries where the local authorities get complaints that the traffic might be noisy to the locals, they build high walls with covers that arch over the motorway to keep the sound from leaking over the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The road curves more sharply in that section.

Stark wrote:
    The road curves more sharply in that section.

There aint one curve on that sections thats as sharp as the one on the leapardstown sliproad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Altreab wrote:

Think you mean 120km/h?

Its due to the bends in the road. The road needs to be straighter to have a 120km/h limit. They could have made it straighter but that would have increased the cost of the road dramatically. So instead they saved money (for a change) and lowered the limit.

$Leon$ wrote:
    Think you mean 120km/h?

Its due to the bends in the road. The road needs to be straighter to have a 120km/h limit. They could have made it straighter but that would have increased the cost of the road dramatically. So instead they saved money (for a change) and lowered the limit.

FFS 30 years in the planning and construction phases and they still decided to put "slow them down" curves in an area they blasted through :mad:

Yeah meant 120km/h not 125km/h ..... then again (looks over at "points for speeding" thread) i might mean an indicated 125km/h :D

• Advertisement

unklerosco wrote:
    Those signs need to be changed.... The speed limit on the sliproads down that end are 125km. Where's the logic(or safety) of allowing people to do 125 on the sliproad n 100 on the motorway..... I love this country

*scratches head* i always thought it was 60km/h on the slip roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Altreab wrote:
    FFS 30 years in the planning and construction phases and they still decided to put "slow them down" curves in an area they blasted through :mad:

I think you'll find land issues dictate the lie of roads as opposed to them deciding to build windy motorways.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was wondering about that. It is 120, not 125, right?

MarkR wrote:
    I was wondering about that. It is 120, not 125, right?

Yeah it is 120 ...when they changed the speed limits a while back motorway limits were revised upwards from the old 70MPH to nearly 75MPH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

kerbdog wrote:
    Heh, just saw the guards driving with both hazards and blue lights flashing driving down the M50 at the 60k/h speed limit. After about 2min gathering traffic behind them they speed off at 80-90k/h up to the toll plaza where they again put their lights on... wierd, messing or seeing if that speed limit makes sence?

Possibly a rolling road block as they do in England. Probably a danger on the road or at least a report of one. Rolling road blocks are much safer to do on a motorway as opposed to stopping traffic completely. Although traffic on the M50 usually is stopped anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

TheNog wrote:
    Possibly a rolling road block as they do in England. Probably a danger on the road or at least a report of one. Rolling road blocks are much safer to do on a motorway as opposed to stopping traffic completely. Although traffic on the M50 usually is stopped anyways.
    Ah, the Garda equivalent of an F1 pace car then! :p

It will be interesting to see how much faster traffic moves on the M50 when the toll booths come down. my guess is that there will be an improvement when travelling from end to end but that there will be tailbacks at the airport round about and same at the southern end.
    The tail backs to get off the M50 will remain the same since the problem there has nothing to do with the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Kaiser2000 wrote:

But with this one, the lights went off an no one accelerated only the guard/pace car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thats cause the pace cars dont come chasing after you if they're in a mood to do so! :p

(though it i an example of the fear some people have of overtaking Garda cars in general. Not me though, if it's safe and legal to do so I'll overtake at will).

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    talking of which ....just 4 days 4 hours 32 minutes to go :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

Altreab wrote:
    It will be interesting to see how much faster traffic moves on the M50 when the toll booths come down. my guess is that there will be an improvement when travelling from end to end

the toll bridge isnt the problem
    its the sheer volume of people merging from the poorly designed junctions that causes the slowdowns on the m50

The toll bridge is a problem. But yes, those junctions are also a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Chief--- wrote:
    As for the 60 km/hr limit its not really enforced. Its only there for when people do kill themselves on that stretch or for the 150 people who crash on the m50 every week.

The Gatso van parked up most weekends will beg to differ.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unklerosco wrote:
    There aint one curve on that sections thats as sharp as the one on the leapardstown sliproad....
    I presume you are referring to the turn just as you exit the roundabout heading northbound - the camber on that is terrible - leaning the wrong way. The engineers must have been pi$sed when they came up with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Altreab wrote:

Crosswinds, road surface and eh deers apparently :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Are there really 150 crashes a week on the M50? I find that hard to believe.

Crosswinds, road surface and eh deers apparently :rolleyes:

All problems that with good planning design and construction would be avoidable. But then they only had 30 years for the project!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

blastman wrote:
    Are there really 150 crashes a week on the M50? I find that hard to believe.

Thats not true:eek:

He meant crashes involving people doing 150km/hr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

This is a ridiculous . On friday just gone I got done for speeding on the M50 northbound just where RedCow roundabout Merges.

Get this .... it was 2am , and there was a guard there with a speed gun .

80Euro fine and my first 2 penalty points.

2am / M50 / limit was apparantly 60kph , i got clocked at 101kph.

Again ... M50 AT 2 IN THE MORNING AND THERE WAS A GUARD WITH A SPEED GUN .

Its a F#&*G scam

Advertisement