Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guards on M50 driving the 60k/h speed limit - with blue lights a flashing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

C_Breeze wrote:
    This is a ridiculous . On friday just gone I got done for speeding on the M50 northbound just where RedCow roundabout Merges.

Get this .... it was 2am , and there was a guard there with a speed gun .

80Euro fine and my first 2 penalty points.

2am / M50 / limit was apparantly 60kph , i got clocked at 101kph.

Again ... M50 AT 2 IN THE MORNING AND THERE WAS A GUARD WITH A SPEED GUN .

Its a F#&*G scam

Is that not the most common time of the day that people crash and/or kill themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Not on Motorways.. country backroads.. locked drunk.. would be more realistic..
    TK

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

eoin_s wrote:
    Is that not the most common time of the day that people crash and/or kill themselves?

Pissed people...

I haven't been breath tested once since they introduced the legislation for random breath testing. I've passed a **** load of speed checks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

C_Breeze wrote:
    This is a ridiculous . On friday just gone I got done for speeding on the M50 northbound just where RedCow roundabout Merges.

I'm not defending the gardai but there is construction work at that time (not sure about everynight) in that area which is the reason why the limit is reduced to 60kph so it's for the safety of the construction workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'd go with one of the following.

1. Debris on the road reported and they were checking.

2. Some EU VIP up ahead about to enter the M50.

3. Some muppet joyrider being chased that would of been heading for the M50 and they held up the traffic to stop them from killing people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I thought the above figure for 150 crashes per week on the M50 did not sound that unrealistic. Is this actually what you meant though?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

C_Breeze wrote:

Its a F#&*G scam

At this stage we all know of the 60kph limit on the M50 I bet there were workers on the road tying to do their job and to let you know on last Friday night a worker was killed on a Motorwayin the Uk while doing his job, So stop complaining and slow down . I would nopt work on that road at night with all the lunatics on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Anyone else get caught by the Gatso van parked before the Liffey Valley exit in the road works? To date I have been lucky, never been stopped for speeding, came across maybe 4 check points and never been asked if I had drink on me, not that I ever had. Only ever got 2 tickets, one for the tax being out, 6 weeks, the other for parking, time ran out. Reckon there will be a fine and 2 PP's in the post, feck it anyway, no one to blame but myself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

C_Breeze wrote:

Its a F#&*G scam

Not trying to be smart but the speed limit is 60kmph not apparantly!! There is signs everywhere on the M50 to say that and as a driver you ahould have seen the signs and dropped your speed!!
    Even if it was at 2AM and there was a gard there it was for a good reason.... to catch people like you that think they don't have to obey the law!!

I have seen one of the most horrific accidents on the M50 when on the southbound side just after the redcow flyover a Civc was actually flying!!! It hit a barrier and shot up through the air and landed on its roof!! It was lucky it didn't come across to my side of the road and hit oncoming traffic!!
    The car was doing well over the speed limit and he hit a bump in the road afaik!!

There is always a sensible reason they have speed limits on roads!! Well roads that have roadworks on them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

jonny24ie wrote:

There is always a sensible reason they have speed limits on roads!!

You were doing SO well up to that point...
    There's NOT always a good reason for a dumb speed limit - unless you count generating revenue. In this case, I reluctantly agree that the limit on the M50 should be lower when the workers are there. I do feel 60 is a bit slow, but people's safety is more important than the OP's need for haste, or want to speed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

overdriver wrote:
    You were doing SO well up to that point...
    There's NOT always a good reason for a dumb speed limit - unless you count generating revenue. In this case, I reluctantly agree that the limit on the M50 should be lower when the workers are there. I do feel 60 is a bit slow, but people's safety is more important than the OP's need for haste, or want to speed.

Sorry I should re-edit that to say

Where there is roadworks!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

C_Breeze wrote:

Its a F#&*G scam

i got done for speeding on the M50 at 8am on a sunday morning at ballymount where the road works are, i was 98 instead of the road work speed of 60 - now i am the only gobshi.te in the whole of ireland who sticks to the 60kph limit at the road works, i cant afford the points and i think its a total scam ..............there wasnt one fecker on the road :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

jonny24ie wrote:
    Not trying to be smart but the speed limit is 60kmph not apparantly!! There is signs everywhere on the M50 to say that and as a driver you ahould have seen the signs and dropped your speed!!
    Even if it was at 2AM and there was a gard there it was for a good reason.... to catch people like you that think they don't have to obey the law!!
    Well said Jonny. The problem with Irish drivers is they think they have a licence to speed, not a licence to drive. Some don't even have a full licence and still complain. The current state of the M50 makes it a very dangerous stretch of road.

irishbird wrote:
    i cant afford the points and i think its a total scam ..............there wasnt one fecker on the road :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

If you can't afford the points then don't break the law!!

jonny24ie wrote:
    If you can't afford the points then don't break the law!!

i dont break the law, i stick bang on 60kph at that stretch of road and from what i can see, i am the only person who does this, i had a horse box overtake me on sunday, i have had people flashing me, beeping me, sitting right up my arse and scream abuse out the window at me and for what because i am abidding by the law???? i think 60kph should be enforced when there are people working on on the road but as they all finish at 6pm, i dont see the point of having it so low

irishbird wrote:
    i dont break the law, i stick bang on 60kph at that stretch of road and from what i can see, i am the only person who does this, i had a horse box overtake me on sunday, i have had people flashing me, beeping me, sitting right up my arse and scream abuse out the window at me and for what because i am abidding by the law???? i think 60kph should be enforced when there are people working on on the road but as they all finish at 6pm, i dont see the point of having it so low

Well if you obeyed the law then you wouldn't have been clocked at ballymount at 98kmph!! You stated that you were caught then you say that you always stay at 60 on that strech of road!! It can't be both!!
    The workers don't stop @6pm they work throughtout the evening and the night aswell.
    The reason the limit is so slow on the road is:
    A: The lanes are a hell of alot narrower!
    B: The workers on the road!
    C: The road surface is in bits because of the roadworks!!

jonny24ie wrote:
    Well if you obeyed the law then you wouldn't have been clocked at ballymount at 98kmph!! You stated that you were caught then you say that you always stay at 60 on that strech of road!! It can't be both!!
    The workers don't stop @6pm they work throughtout the evening and the night aswell.
    The reason the limit is so slow on the road is:
    A: The lanes are a hell of alot narrower!
    B: The workers on the road!
    C: The road surface is in bits because of the roadworks!!

i now stick to the the speed limit of 60kpm - they finish at 6pm, it is part of the planning conditions because of noise pollution to the surrounding houses.

irishbird wrote:
    i now stick to the the speed limit of 60kpm - they finish at 6pm, it is part of the planning conditions because of noise pollution to the surrounding houses.

Sorry but I know a few of the lads that work on it and they do not finish at 6pm!!
    If you drive northbound @ the ballymount exit you will see work going on there during the night on a number of occassions!! I seen them there only last week at 10pm!!

You now stick to the limit because you were caught over it which indicates you are a good adaptable driver!! You learnt from your mistakes! There is many people out there that don't!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

jonny24ie wrote:
    Sorry but I know a few of the lads that work on it and they do not finish at 6pm!!
    If you drive northbound @ the ballymount exit you will see work going on there during the night on a number of occassions!! I seen them there only last week at 10pm!!

You now stick to the limit because you were caught over it which indicates you are a good adaptable driver!! You learnt from your mistakes! There is many people out there that don't!!

Strange. I drive home every night through the roadworks and I've yet to see ANY work going on after 10pm or on a weekend since it started.

In any case, I was stopped on a tax ROADBLOCK on the m50 once. I'd love to hear how having a roadblock on a motorway makes it a safer driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

That Road block was done at the Toll Bridge which has a speed limit approaching and leaving and the lads on the Road Works often work until 6am in the morning to get jobs done that would otherwise cause even worse congestion during the day, if people did not get points only a fine they would not be complaining and from what I have heard it is going to be enforced even more from now on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Actually, and i en quired about this:

Temporary speed limit signs erected by any construction company or non government body(even under tender) are advisory not the actual speed limit. There is no legal requirement to follow these, no planning permission process was followed to erect these at any point.

i.e. If a guy working for some construction crowd is holding a stop sign, you can (but it would be stupid to do so) ignore it as it would be the same as you standing there with a stop sign or erecting a 60kmph speed limit sign outside your house.

If however you are driving at a speed which is dangerous in the conditions you are in then the gardai could do you for dangerous driving or careless driving in the event you could possibly cause harm to another road user.

This has been thrown out in court a few times afaik.

Edit:

Actually .. If the construction guy holding the stop sign was in charge of Livestock then you would have to obey his direction under the rules of the road..

The M50 limits were changed legally, by by-law, with notices in the papers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

I was heading northbound through the 60km/h roadworks last friday night with a grey undercover mondeo right behind me. Some guy in a green mkIV golf went by, probably doing 120km/h or thereabouts. The guards pulled out after him without lights or anything on. Eventually we all hit traffic, the golf ended up a couple of cars ahead and the cop turned off at liffey valley. Lucky escape for him. The cops cant pull anyone over along there cuz theres no hard shoulder...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

irishbird wrote:

As a matter of interest what lane were you in?

I've never had anyone do anything except overtake me when I've driven at th espeed limit in the driving lane.

In fairness, Ste, I've had a couple of people throw a wobbly cos I was at the limit - in the correct lane too!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I hope people aren't misunderstanding the phrase "Be in the right lane!" ;)

The last time I had a driver throw a fit at me was some woman driver last December (ah, the pre-Christmas madness). Since then, no hassle. Not even the other day when I was practising sticking religiously to speed limits and created a tailback of about 20 cars when I drove through an area that had a speed limit of 50kph despite being nowhere near a residential area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

craichoe wrote:
    Actually, and i en quired about this:

Temporary speed limit signs erected by any construction company or non government body(even under tender) are advisory not the actual speed limit. There is no legal requirement to follow these, no planning permission process was followed to erect these at any point.

i.e. If a guy working for some construction crowd is holding a stop sign, you can (but it would be stupid to do so) ignore it as it would be the same as you standing there with a stop sign or erecting a 60kmph speed limit sign outside your house.

If however you are driving at a speed which is dangerous in the conditions you are in then the gardai could do you for dangerous driving or careless driving in the event you could possibly cause harm to another road user.

This has been thrown out in court a few times afaik.

Edit:

Actually .. If the construction guy holding the stop sign was in charge of Livestock then you would have to obey his direction under the rules of the road..
    Actually, not only are you wrong, but you are dangerous too. Stop / Go sign are legal (I'll find the regulations for you) and a managers order is in place for the 60kmh/h limit. Councils don't erect speed signage, they get contractors to do it.

Stop / Go - Road Traffic (Signs) Regulations 2006 (pics in following posts)
    60kmh/h - http://roads.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=45&Itemid=62

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I see there's a fixed speed camera going in just at the beginning of the roadworks northbound. Haven't travelled southbound yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

testicle wrote:
    I see there's a fixed speed camera going in just at the beginning of the roadworks northbound. Haven't travelled southbound yet.

Yeah I noticed the lines on the road this morning. Looks indeed like a static camera is on it's way. Should make things interesting along that stretch for a while as people come up to the lines doing 120k/h and then jam on as they see the road markings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Victor wrote:
    Actually, not only are you wrong, but you are dangerous too. Stop / Go sign are legal (I'll find the regulations for you) and a managers order is in place for the 60kmh/h limit. Councils don't erect speed signage, they get contractors to do it.

Stop / Go - Road Traffic (Signs) Regulations 2006 (pics in following posts)
    60kmh/h - http://roads.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=45&Itemid=62

I'm sorry but you are incorrect and no i am not dangerous, i always adhere to a stop/go sign out of common sense. I was pointing at how this is in the eyes of the law, this was verified by the gardai.

I was referring to the 2004 road traffic act:
    [No. 44.]

(3) A road works speed limit order shall not be made in respect
    of a national road or a motorway, without the prior written consent
    of the National Roads Authority.

(4) Before making a road works speed limit order the manager
    concerned shall notify the Commissioner in writing of his or her
    intention to make the order.

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/6359-0.pdf

In most, if not the majority cases this has not been done, because the road works are not always performed under tender by the local authority through a contractor. The ESX, Bord Gais, Eircom etc etc will apply for permission to dig up the road but the speed limit/stop signs erected by the contractor are not legally enforceable speed limits.

The only person you have to follow the direction of holding a stop sign is a lolly pop lady.

My point here is that any contractor putting up temporary roadsigns is no different to you putting a speed limit sign up outside your house. (Unless its been approved by the NRA)

Advertisement