Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3g Wireless Broadband - Anyone use them?

• 13-03-2007 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/ViewProducts.shtml?offerSelected=devices&bannerdesc=store_modem_010307

Everything mentioned below would be for my laptop.

I'm tempted to buy the above, would be handy to have in Galway city. My question is, i'd like to use it on the Corrib (Lake in Galway). I get full mbile phone coverage. Is it a case that where there's 3g broadband ill get broadband speed, but where there's just GPRS coverage ill only get 56k speeds? Or is it either broadband speeds, or nothing at all? I don't mind it being slow, it'd be nice to get my e-mail when out on the lake for the weekend

I have a Nokia N70 (Currently on 02 prepay but would be tempted to change to bill pay) do I have any other affordable options about getting online with that? Have the Bluetooth and USB cable connections

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 FarSide

JohnCleary wrote:
    https://www.vodafone.ie/df/ViewProducts.shtml?offerSelected=devices&bannerdesc=store_modem_010307

Everything mentioned below would be for my laptop.

I'm tempted to buy the above, would be handy to have in Galway city. My question is, i'd like to use it on the Corrib (Lake in Galway). I get full mbile phone coverage. Is it a case that where there's 3g broadband ill get broadband speed, but where there's just GPRS coverage ill only get 56k speeds? Or is it either broadband speeds, or nothing at all? I don't mind it being slow, it'd be nice to get my e-mail when out on the lake for the weekend

I have a Nokia N70 (Currently on 02 prepay but would be tempted to change to bill pay) do I have any other affordable options about getting online with that? Have the Bluetooth and USB cable connections

It's pretty much as you surmise. If you're getting a good signal you can be almost guaranteed of getting GPRS at the very least and with luck, the full 3G service too. Depends how far the Corrib is from the nearest 3G-enabled cell tower; it might to too far out, but you'll get GPRS anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

All the operators offer datacards, that is the best way to get mobile Broadband. Hold on for a month or so & make sure you get a HSDPA enabled datacard. I'd imagine a lot of the operators, (3, O2, Vodafone) will be looking to off-load their 1st generation 3G datacards. HSDPA will allow you to get speeds of up to 3.6Mbps download.
    The packages will be comparable to some of the regular broadband offerings, the best part of the mobile offering is it's mobility, i.e. not tied to one location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The Vodafone USB modem is already 3.6 Mbps HSDPA enabled. And yes, it will work anywhere you can get a mobile phone signal. Which is, well, pretty much everywhere.

As you surmised, if there's no 3G coverage, you will only get dial-up like speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

So i'll get these dial-up like speeds, but it'll still be a 'constant' connection for that flat fee?

I could live with that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

You'll actaully get speeds 33% faster than dial up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sweet, think i'm gonna get me one so.

I have an N70 (with a usb cable) an dim sure that I could use my current SIM, but I think i'll justget a complete new package so I don't have to be lugging around cables

Advertisement