Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate, SG1, Season 10, Episode 20: Unending [SPOLIERS]

• 13-03-2007 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

So its really over.

I do think that, forgiving the absence of O'Neill this was a fitting end to the series.

I am however is some way feeling odd about Teal'c i dont like that he has aged maybe 30 - 40 years, yes his life is extended because of Tratonin, but i dont like it. Hopefully, they resolve it in the first film, cause the Grey streak ain't cool tbh.

thoughts?

Unending, a fitting one to SG1? 70 votes

10 - Indeed!
    0% 0 votes
    18% 13 votes
    10% 7 votes
    17% 12 votes
    11% 8 votes
    5 - Time travels alright, but it was no 1969!
    10% 7 votes
    20% 14 votes
    4% 3 votes
    5% 4 votes
    1 - SG1 ended a long time ago...
    2% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I thought the title was appropriate, in that there actually was no bloody ending :(

It was pretty much same old same old, and could have been used as a filler about half way through the season. It needed something to distinguish it from the rest, but failed miserably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Well they had always said that sg1 would keep continuing on in missions (ie. the last scene would be them departing for a new mission) even if RDA never left, they wanted fans to know that sg1 kept going on missions even after the show ended.

Also two films are in the making tbh.

But everything was exactly how it was before the episode. I know that a lot of it was charachter based, but what exactly is the point in it being charachter based if you are just going to 'reset' all of the charachters bar Teal'c?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Wow, a whole episode to explain how Teal'c has a grey streak!

On a side note the developtment of all the characters involved was alot better than most of the season....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Piss poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes more filler material to me which makes sense given they know the DVDS are on the way. On the basis of what SG-1 is, I suppose the ending was appropriate. But yet again though they get a whole pile of "new toys" out of nowhere. That aside the interaction between them all was good, despite the slightly plodding storyline and is at the better end of what was Season 10. More relieved than sad it's over and looking forward to the DVDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Some of the things in this episode seemed out of place - I never had the Asguard down as a suicide bunch, and they leave all their technology, knowledge etc. to a race that is obviously cenrruies behind them (technologically) :confused:

The interaction was good - I particularly liked when Daniel was giving out to Vala, but that fell flat on its face when he slept with her :rolleyes:

Was it just my imagination or did Mitchell say sh1t when he was playing chess with Landry??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

worst episode ever

my god... at least now I'm left with no anticipation for the movies... I couldn't give a **** if they never came out

wow... it's amazing how such a great show can just drop the ball like that in only a couple of seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As a mid-season filler this would've worked and been above average..

However, as a final episode to a 10-year saga, it was awful! Almost as bad as the Enterprise finalé, though even THAT had that very cool CGI Enterprise-D at the very end.

Have to say I'm very disappointed. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not bad, but it was just a regular episode. No big finale, no big confrontation. Indeed, me bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Ah, I liked the charachter developement. But then I am a chick who inevitably doesnt mind a love twist.

Thought it interesting to see the weekness in whathisface, Jack wannabe. Freaking out etc. Thought Carter aged beautifully, though, suprised she didnt figure it all out sooner. Or fall in love with on of them, but then she's Jacks woman. Heh.

I am hoping it was left without a cliff hanger because they wanted the movies to be full, and not having a "previously on SG1" requirement for an audience that might never have watched the show.

I think they tried to give us a little bit of what we loved about the show before ending it, and just because no one blew up, or because there was no Ori, or Ori'si (you guys just wanna see her in leather) or feckin Bal's in the show does not mean you cant enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well that was pretty mediocre.. looks like I picked a bad time to start watching Stargate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Would have been a pretty good episode earlier on in the season as a filler/ one shot but as a season finisher....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Mordeth wrote:
    worst episode ever

my god... at least now I'm left with no anticipation for the movies... I couldn't give a **** if they never came out

wow... it's amazing how such a great show can just drop the ball like that in only a couple of seasons

my sentiments exactly. i'm speechless to describe how incredibly bad sg-1 has become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Well i like to think i'm big enough to admit when i'm wrong, and i was wrong about this.

It turns out it wasn't Merlins magic coffee maker MKII that turns the tide against the ori, but the asguard suicide goodbye gift. Colour me shocked.

But seriously, this was trying for the kind of ending we got at the end of season 8, but everything leading up to it made it silly.

After a seasons worth of filler, we have the end of the asguard and the handing over of technology lightyears beyond just about everything else in the galaxy to a race who are knuckle dragging neanderthals by comparison, followed by an episode that would have been far better recieved as mid season filler than an end of series finale.

Were there another season of Sg1, i probably wouldn't watch it. As for the planned movies... well i *might*, but i'm not very pushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

One of the reasons I liked Stargate was that Earth was always the underdogs. Lesser tech, allies etc. All of a sudden they got a kickarse spaceship. With warp, shields etc and can kick anybody's ar5e. NOW they got all the Asgard knowledge. It's turned into Star trek: Replicators, phasers, transporters, shields at max etc. And as for the whole end of the Asgard thing: Oh, we've been around for millions of years. Most thought we were myths because we were all powerful............... but in the 10 years since we met you guys we've suddenly degenerated so here's all our tech and we're all going to top ourselves. Then, in the middle of the battle at the start, Thor goes: Buggerit, I'm outa here. What, was he afraid he was going to be killed?
    In the last 2 years, IMO, the only passable episode was the Wormhole Xtreme movie one. and even THAT was only passable (Although what's-his-name's girlfriend at the reunion ep was a cracker)
    Fitting end to a show that should've ended 2 years ago: Sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Jesjes wrote:
    Ah, I liked the charachter developement. But then I am a chick who inevitably doesnt mind a love twist.
    Agree with ya that it was a very good episode from that point (particularly the fight between Vala and Daniel) but they spoiled it by pressing the "big red reset button" at the end.
    Thought it interesting to see the weekness in whathisface, Jack wannabe. Freaking out etc. Thought Carter aged beautifully, though, suprised she didnt figure it all out sooner. Or fall in love with on of them, but then she's Jacks woman. Heh.
    Yep.. pity they couldn't have gotten him (and Hammond) involved for the last episode though!
    I am hoping it was left without a cliff hanger because they wanted the movies to be full, and not having a "previously on SG1" requirement for an audience that might never have watched the show.
    True.. it was clearly written with a "to be continued" air for longtime viewers, but open-ended enough for the movies.
    I think they tried to give us a little bit of what we loved about the show before ending it, and just because no one blew up, or because there was no Ori, or Ori'si (you guys just wanna see her in leather) or feckin Bal's in the show does not mean you cant enjoy it.
    Also true (no comment on the Ori'si in leather bit! :p), however it really felt like an average/standard episode with no sense of "this is the final episode of SG1 EVER" (hell, Sky hyped it up more than the show itself did) and I think THAT'S what people's problem is, especially when compared to say the last episode of TNG and DS9 (even though it kinda waned a bit in the 2nd hour) or even VOY.... in fact that's another thing, it wasn't even a 2 hour special!

I think the problem is people feel cheated out of a sense of closure after 10 years of following it weekly, and the intention is clearly to make fans go see the forthcoming movies to get it, which is just a tad cynical and really just gives two fingers to the fans who supported the show through the years.

Jesjes wrote:

Ah but y'see, that was Inara from Firefly.......... And she played a SPACEHOOKER in that

yeah, and if the asgard weapons were so effective against the Ori ships on the earth ship.. why the hell didn't the asgard strip their ships of everything sensitive, and then go around the galaxy blowing up all the ori ships they found..

I mean, if they're dying anyway.... couple of hundred asgard ships travelliung together destroying ori... stupid grey idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Was a big letdown!

And I know I haven't seen every ep this season, but Asguard gave earth all their teck and knowledge? When did this happen? And I doubt they would anyway!

the-ging wrote:
    Was a big letdown!

And I know I haven't seen every ep this season, but Asguard gave earth all their teck and knowledge? When did this happen? And I doubt they would anyway!

Well, they just did it in this episode: Said "well, we're arsed as a species so, ah, here's all our good stuff and we're just going to kill ourselves now........ But we won't help in your fight with these three ships at the start in case we get killed"

Really smarts of a reboot for the next spinoff that the TV movies are supposed to introduce. What's the betting it'll be just like Trek with fleet of ships, phasers, transporters etc. Written off as: "Six months after figuring out how to use all Asgard tech........................" at the start of the movie/pilot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I wonder what impact that episode is going to have on the fight against the wraith. Now they have more tech than they know what to do with they should just send a couple of ships over to atlantis station and go wraith whoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I thought it was a good, fitting ending actually. I know they could have had an all singing, all dancing battle with the Ori but it wouldn't have interested me as much. This episode was pretty much a tribute to what Stargate does best - the characters and the relationships within the team. From Sam's interactions with Thor to the characters getting old together to the 'Indeed' scene at the end I thought it was perfect, classic Stargate.

Maybe its because I couldn't give a crap about the Ori as bad guys and in general episodes about them have been rubbish, so I preferred a return to form for the final episode and really enjoyed it.

steviec wrote:
    I thought it was a good, fitting ending actually. I know they could have had an all singing, all dancing battle with the Ori but it wouldn't have interested me as much. This episode was pretty much a tribute to what Stargate does best - the characters and the relationships within the team. From Sam's interactions with Thor to the characters getting old together to the 'Indeed' scene at the end I thought it was perfect, classic Stargate.
    That level of interaction for a final episode, is great.

That level of interaction plus a reset though, makes it seem like the episode didn't really change anything.

[edit] I mean, you would have imagined that the least they would have done would have been to create a data crystal or something to tell the younger versions of themselves any of the valuable information that they had found out in the Asgard library in the past 50 years. Not doing that made the whole time seem a bit of a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

I have to say I really liked this episode. It was "filler" in that it didn't deal with the Ori story but I don't have a problem with filler episodes when they are done well. Indeed the first 5 seasons were pretty much all filler.

The death of the Asguard upset me more than the death of the show. Over the years I was always looking forward to seeing those guys show up and the best Stargate moment for me was probably the first time we saw Thor's Charriot swoop down from the clouds and lay waste to the Goa'uld.

Overall it was a good ending I think. The Ori were irrelevent as they will have a movie dedicated to them that should tie the story up. The new Asguard tech should also spice up Atlantis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This episode had fuction: giving fans who were ready to put it away a way out: sure, they hit the reset button, but if you choose the route of Teal'c's POV: hes seen everything at that point even if everyone else hasnt. He could probably give a **** what happens next, and if thats how you feel, choose to be Teal'c. If not, and you want to continue watching all the new movie eps, then you are clearly either a Sam, Jack, or Daniel.

What people seem to miss then is that they hit the reset button; but unlike most/every other reset button ever invented, there is someone on the show who experienced it all.

Ori sucked. Baal got boring 3 seasons ago. The Asgard have become senile in their old age. And the Ancients plot fell apart under its own weight. But it was still the best Sci-Fi show I will ever witness for at least another 20 years, and I mourn its tragic, long-awaited goodbye.

10/10.

But it was still the best Sci-Fi show I will ever witness for at least another 20 years, and I mourn its tragic, long-awaited goodbye.

you don't ask for alot from your sci-fi do you.

really... best sci-fi?... really? when it was good, it was very very good... but the best?

good lord.

Overheal wrote:
    What people seem to miss then is that they hit the reset button; but unlike most/every other reset button ever invented, there is someone on the show who experienced it all.

new BSG and DS9. Now they're shows with no reset buttons. you know that if something dodgy happens it's going to bite them in the arse sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Mordeth wrote:
    yeah, and if the asgard weapons were so effective against the Ori ships on the earth ship.. why the hell didn't the asgard strip their ships of everything sensitive, and then go around the galaxy blowing up all the ori ships they found..

I mean, if they're dying anyway.... couple of hundred asgard ships travelliung together destroying ori... stupid grey idiots

or just give them an asgard ship ????

Advertisement