Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate, SG1, Season 10, Episode 20: Unending [SPOLIERS]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Jesjes wrote:
    ..., or because there was no Ori, or Ori'si (you guys just wanna see her in leather) ...
    Ah but y'see, that was Inara from Firefly.......... And she played a SPACEHOOKER in that
    Yep, I'll take Morena Baccarin any way she's coming. :D

Anyway... crap way to end a show. My Dad, completely disinterested in sci-fi, watched the odd bit of Stargate because he said it was "down to earth". It seemed kinda believable because they were in present day earth walking around in army uniforms etc. (I didn't ask him why he thought all the aliens spoke english). But SG-1 has detached from that and gone all Star Treky as someone has already said.

But if they had a cloaking device in the last episode, why didn't they use it in this one when they needed to hide? Bah!

Worst series ending ever was Enterprise - that one left a much more sour after taste than this. At least they don't have holodecks in Stargate... yet.

"Computer. Earl grey hot, and a cello please."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

But if they had a cloaking device in the last episode, why didn't they use it in this one when they needed to hide? Bah!
    Well if they can be tracked in hyperspace, chances are they can track them in normal space while cloaked? :)

I enjoyed it without being blown away by it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well I enjoyed it! And it's for the reasons that others did - it did what SG-1 did best, which is the character moments. They worked very well and I really felt the relationships between them. I was even somewhat sad to see that useless lunk Landry pass.

I also automatically assumed Teal'c would be the one to go back. I always thought he looked young for his age n S1 (76, I do believe) so his slow ageing was fitting. L'oreal should look into this for their new cream...

The big 'reset' button feature is irritating but at least someone remembers something. The way it was done was one of the few ways to show the characters grow old together, to let us see a possible end for them and to then leave it open for the movies. I'm assuming the episode was written fairly quickly too, when they knew they weren't getting renewed, so the moments we had between them are - to me - all the more impressive for that. Some very touching and sweet scenes.

The big thing that I didn't like was the Asgard element. They suddenly appear, give them all their technologies, and then we junk them, and their 10 season legacy in a 40-minute window. Not cool to Thor, Freya and the gang. Also their suicide didn't really make sense (although with the home of the Asgard, Ancients, and Furlings destroyed, there's a nice wholeness). They could have fought more rather than genocide to allow us a finale :)

Anyway, I'm happy enough with this ending. There's the DVD films for more stories but as a way to go out with the weekly serial, I'm glad not to see a bunch of CGI explosions. Not what the show was about for me.

Goodbye, you'll be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,644 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It beats DS9 and BSG. DS9 got boring (except that last spectacular war season) and BSG is young yet. Same thing for Heroes; they all have potential but it will be some time...besaides I exclude Start Trek in my synopsis because it seems so 30 years ago in the rgand scheme of things :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

The best sci-fi series ever had to be B5 - first 4 seasons had the best story arc ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Flaccus wrote:
    The best sci-fi series ever had to be B5 - first 4 seasons had the best story arc ever.
    Probably true but that's not for here. Let's keep the "Best Sci-Fi" debate to another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Woulda been better if this was earlier in season and coulda used the Asguard technology against the ori earlier. Even see if they could get it fitted onto other ships and maybe sumfin on the lil fighters, 302's? But like most said here, not a really fitting ending to the series. Maybe getta fleet of big earth ship's and have em all fitted with asguard technology and go wipe out the ori in a movie or sumfin :D hopefully whatever they make, it will bring closure to the series :confused:

Wonder if SG:A will get some of the Asguard stuff now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wow, I've never seen a poll so evenly split before, it's practically the same across all options!

Anyway, for me this felt a bit like a let down. There were quite a few things that just didn't make sense or were just plain bad. Why the Asgard weapons worked so effectively now, when they were practically useless on the Ori ships when they first came through the supergate. Why Thor left the Odyssey to blow himself up, he could have stayed to help them and then killed himself a bit later. The death of the Asgard :(

The character story was quite good though, a very moving episode from a certain point of view. Having Teal'c remember is another plus, it's not quite a reset.

Overall just above a middlein episode, not really what I'd have expected from the end of the series, but not nearly as craptastic as the final Enterprise. When you consider that this wasn't nearly the best season of SG1, it's not that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I liked it quite a bit.

It was in essence, an everyday episode of SG-1. Not everyone fell in love with the show because of explosions and space battles and season long arcs. I have BSG for that. SG-1 was *always* about the characters and team dynamic. That's what i liked about the show and that's what this episode had in buckets.

My one complaint was when Daniel flipped out at Vala. Completely out of character in my opinion coupled with a cheap mention of his wife after years of her being forgotten.

In the end though, this episode was filled with what made SG-1 for me and so I gave it a 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

I would have liked to see an entire episode about the demise of the Asgard tbh.

Something along the lines of:

- SG1 turns up asgard retrofit Odyssey, to continue their legacy, 5ht race etc.

- Ori turn up, big battle between Asgard ships, Odyssey and Lots of Ori Ships (proper space battle like)

- Asgard get raped, decide to further enhance odyssey with their newest technology developed to combat Ori shields and stuff

- The Asgard put themselves in a time dilation field to live out the rest of their lives, so that in 2,000 years they'll still be there if needed, but only a day or two has gone by for them

something like that, moving the asgard but keeping them around would have been nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

Right.

Good:

The little moment between Carter and Thor. Vala and anial, I got the feeling his little tantrum was from unexpressed lovey dovey feelings he had.

Bad:

the story wasmid seaon filler material. Nothing more. If thy were going to have the Asgard go bye bye I think the whole episode should have been about it. But we get fairly standard episode. Which is sad, because SG does really good season endings. also,souldn't Teal'c look as old as Bra'tac if he's a 130.

all in all, a sign of why I fell outof the series after Jack left. And SPOILER with time travel being the story in the second dvd movie, it feels hollow. Teal'c is gonna go back to being a young 60 year old wen Ba'al rewrites history. Let down all in all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

My Christ someone drag the writers out by the ears and flog them - in the last two years or so they have managed to ruin the best show on tele and just made it worse with the load of twaddle.

Thor - "here ya go all the technology we have been keeping from ye all these years, we are about to die.Mmmmmm best of luck" - BOOM-:confused:

Com'on:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Maybe I need to rewatch a few episodes but when did the Asgard set up there new home world in our Galaxy? And If there home world isn't how did the ori ships find them? For that matter if the ori ships can travel between galaxies why bother with a super gate?

Are we supposed to believe that all the Asgard people and there ships were on the planet? What about all the planets there supposed to be protecting? AHHH it's such a load of rubbish when you think about it!

might have been a wording slip up or a misunderstanding: real version, the Asgard homeworld is in a 4th galaxy were the ancients dont have power to interfere blah blah blah why did they splode in less than 60 seconds LAME LAME LAME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tyax

That episode made me feel like I had been robbed of ten years of my life...... It was really really poor, even as an episode imo, the bit with the Azgard at the start was so pathetic, the episode truely showed the signs of last minuteitis, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes of these tv movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Wow, Stargate writers sure love their plot holes and DEM.

A load of rubbish as LoGiE said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Fantastic, but you should all bare in mind that the show wasn't cancelled untill after the series was completed, so i think it was a pretty good episode.

bull****. alll bull****. They had 2 episodes left to write before they were cancelled: they couldve easilly written a 2 parter worth remembering. Instead we got this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i thought it was ****ing great. they resisted the temptation to do a balls-to-the-wall slugfest, and went for a character piece. a tying-everything-up-with-a-neat-little-deus-ex-machina episode would have seemed cheap.

as regards o'neill not being in the episode, he has only had cameo roles in the last series or two. this one was about the six main characters in the show, and it was a good decision that they decided to hand the final episode to just them, and not to play to the fans.

my main beef about the episode was the hair - not teal'c's, but does the deadalus not come with scissors? mitchell, jackson, and landry looked like whitesnake: the comeback tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It was pretty crap if you ask me.
    For so long I was always trying to look on the bright side of bad episodes and then this. It was just sub-par on all levels.
    Every good point that people here have been mentioning about this episode have been done better before. The writers set out a forty year time frame and still rushed everything and subsequently ran it into the ground.
    And don't get me started on the Asgaurd thing.

• Advertisement

Just listening to Creedence there and I was inspired to rewatch the episode.

I do feel I was abit harsh before but that my original points do stand....to a certain degree.

But I was thinking, how much better would it have been if O Neill had went with them?
    Landry has no place on a ship, O Neill has history with the Asgaurd, the unavoidable lovestory could have involved Carter and O Neill instead of Daniel and Vala, and then it could have been Jack that died which would reall have been sad.
    Also, it feels wrong to me that they did an episode like that without him.

id agree to that.

as far as im concerned though: i live in the SG-1 time frame: meaning this episode NEVER HAPPENED. shame about the greybutts all the same.

check out the poll though: this episode is one hell of weird in terms of opinion.

I dunno: for me, i think SG-1 died out when O'Niell left, the Replicators were destroyed and the torch was passed to Atlantis, which has turned into a Class A show in its own right. The 2 seasons with farm boy i regard as a seperate entity altogether: they even had the lame startup of getting the crew back together. So I say let them wrap up that O'ri story arc and we can put it to rest for good: like it never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Overheal wrote: »
    I dunno: for me, i think SG-1 died out when O'Niell left, the Replicators were destroyed and the torch was passed to Atlantis, which has turned into a Class A show in its own right. The 2 seasons with farm boy i regard as a seperate entity altogether: they even had the lame startup of getting the crew back together. So I say let them wrap up that O'ri story arc and we can put it to rest for good: like it never happened.

I agree.
    In a way it may have been better if they had killed it after season 7, went out on a high.
    The Ori storylines just didnt work for me.

The 2 seasons with farm boy i regard as a seperate entity altogether: they even had the lame startup of getting the crew back together. So I say let them wrap up that O'ri story arc and we can put it to rest for good: like it never happened.

It's funny you say that because when they were re-launching season 9, the creators wanted to turn it into a new show. How much better would those two season have been if they had been a new, third show?

Whatsmore, I've noticed something. Season 1 of Atlantis was amazing, whereas season 8 of Sg1 was hit and miss.
    The season 9 was very good, but Atlantis slipped.
    This trend continued for seasons 10 and 3.
    Now season 4 is even worse then ever, with two sg-1 movies in the works.

Your point about the poll is interesting too.

id be interested to know why you think atlantis has been slipping... the overall plot and reason for it, yes, but the episode to episode entertainment just keeps getting better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i was going to mention the poll but everyone did. Ye i admit since this episode aired i have watched it about 3 times actually i watched it a 4th last week.

Its good but it could have been so much more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I hate teal'cs new hair god damnit.

ive only seen this episode once and id never watch it again unless there was nothing better on

id be interested to know why you think atlantis has been slipping... the overall plot and reason for it, yes, but the episode to episode entertainment just keeps getting better :)

I think season 1 of Atlantis was great. Then season 2 was ****e, and now it just gets dumber and dumber. I'm sure the fact that it's only renewed on a year by year basis is to blame for it but the whole show is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

I mean why? did you actually like the black guy or something? So glad to see him leave :D

Advertisement