Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walking from town to....

• 13-03-2007 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Sorry people, following up from the luas post incident this morning I wasn't joking about walking back from Ringsend.. well charlotte quay! to Dundum. Took hour & 3/4 .. I was wondering though as my feet are feckin killing me. What's the madest walk anyone has done from town & why. Sober or otherwise?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i've walked from town home, spirit for example once to foxrock, quite a few times, out of lack of tiredness, boredom, to have a DMC(deep meaningful chats), rob milk, vandalise property or just plain too drunk to get in a taxi. also from marlay park after those stupid gigs cos theres no taxis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭thebookofbob

my feet are in bits today! had to ditch the shoes & switch to runners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

A mate of mine walked from the Burlington hotel to Ballybrack one night, it was after a college ball so he was wearing a tux, and there was a storm that night, so it was pissing down from start to finish. Strangest thing was that he wasn't that hammered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

Back last summer if i was in the palace i'd walk towards bucks to save money and it was easier to get a taxi. Problem is i always made it to abrakebabra in donnybrook, spent loads of money and ended up having to walk to past ucd before i'd have enough to get me home. But the chip butty is well worth it

I've done Fibbers to Bray twice now. not nice at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Papa Smut wrote:
    I've done Fibbers to Bray twice now. not nice at all
    That's genuinely impressive. I've done Ranelagh to DCU, doubt if that's even half your distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

DCU to Rathmines once (then gave up and got a bus).

Harcourt St. to Stillorgan a couple of times. Once because I just wanted to do it, nobody was going my way anyway. So, I decided I was going to walk just so I could say I've walked home from town before.

The second time I just couldn't find a taxi, was seperated from my mates and was creditless so I just started walking, by the time I saw a free taxi I was almost at Dundrum (I walked home a weird way that night) so there was no point getting it.

On nice evenings last year I used to walk from Aungier St. as far as Cowper or Windy Arbour and then get the LUAS. Never bothered walking the whole way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Not Dublin related, but a mate and me were at a night club in uxbridge, middlesex and were staying at my brothers about a 15 minute walk away. We left the club, grabbed a Kebab and off we went.

After about 45 minutes we decided we had taken a wrong turn, so we kind of made a guess which way to go and went for it.

30 minutes later and starting to sober up, we saw some lights and headed towards them, only to find that it was the kabab house next to the club we left an hour and a half.:o

we saw a cab and grabbed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

Bondi to rathmichael, wasn't nice....sober by the end of it though. just keep on the straight and narrow.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

During the summer a couple of years ago, I'd walk from work in the IFSC to my then home in Sandyford every day (as long as it wasn't lashing it down).
    Used to take roughly 1 & 3/4 hours for a brisk walk.
    I'd start at 7.30am, so I'd get the bus, but walk it home. Sure got my exercise back then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i walked to town (well, old wesley) from shankill years ago with my mates, picking people up in cabinteely, deans grange and merrion on the way, was wrecked when we got there even though i was very fit at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Go jogging down as far as UCD, I don't see the point in walking to places for exercise. My bike got stolen recently so I walk a lot more now though purely out of necessity. I think my longest walk in Dublin was from Dundrum to Ballsbridge, which is peanuts compared to some of the others here!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Walked from 92 to killiney with melekalikimaka a few years ago, i remember we got jucie in dunnes,
    walked from belvodere college to killiney another night, missed last bus and had no money for a taxi. took lonly cold hours...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Walked from 92 to killiney with melekalikimaka a few years ago, i remember we got jucie in dunnes,
    walked from belvodere college to killiney another night, missed last bus and had no money for a taxi. took lonly cold hours...

flashback

oh yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭markk06

I think i was with smith and melekilikamaka that night. Luckily i took a turn off at whites cross:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I got a puncture one night at parnell square while cycling. Everything was closed so I had to walk back with my bike to Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i walked from the point to dunlaoghaire one night, after a radiohead concert, because it was too late for a bus and i had no money for a taxi, was stone sober too :(

took about 2 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

My bike got a puncture on Arran Quay on the way home from a party in Castleknock this summer. Had to walk it all the way back to Rathmines where I live. That's nothing compared to some of these I'm reading, but I was damn angry about it at the time! It was so late.

Thank God I didn't puncture in Phoenix park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Wow and I thought I had it bad walking from Sandymount to the Point and Sandymount to Ranelagh! I think my longest was Rathmines to Ailesbury road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I've done town to leopardstown (club 92 if you dont know it). Couldnt get a taxi as it was December 21st or something so just started walking to donnybrook. Then after that couldnt get a taxi for ages, only realised the next day it was because I was on the wrong side of the dual carriageway. Oh, and I was also coming from a fancy dress thing so I was wearing a full builders outfit and boots.

Don't really know how long it took.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Piste wrote:
    Wow and I thought I had it bad walking from Sandymount to the Point and Sandymount to Ranelagh! I think my longest was Rathmines to Ailesbury road.

I used to walk ranelagh to and from merrion (near blackrock) everyday for work, took about 50mins each way, its not that bad of a walk and its damn quicker then it takes to get buses :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Walked from the Liffey to Deansgrange once, simply as I wanted to know if I could walk home from town... took about 3 hours and my legs were mightily banjaxed the next day. I'm convinced there are quicker routes than the coast road but it was a bit of a spur of the moment thing, didn't have time to negotiate bendy roads in housing estates.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Walked from Terenure into Ranelagh and back out to Dundrum once, years ago, because I wasn't sure of the direct route between the two :p

Twas a beautiful, sunny Saturday morning though so I didn't mind. Turned down the option of a lift on my way back from Ranelagh! I've also walked from Templebar to Dundrum at 6am... that however, sucked.

Advertisement