Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passenger to Commercial Conversion

Options
  • 13-03-2007 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

If I were to buy a used Mitsubishi Challenger in the UK, what would I have to do to import it as a commercial into Ireland?

Is it as simple as:
    - remove seats
    - tint windows

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

AFAIK all passenger components have to be removed and broken up to prevent reuse. I think the back doors have to be sealed and glass replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't know what the current status is but a few years ago all VW Golf vans came to Ireland as passenger cars and then were converted at MDL. Same goes for Mitsubishi Pajeroes that were converted to commercials by a bodyshop approved by Mitsubishi. AFAIK, a similar process was/is undertaken by Toyota with Land Cruisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I was thinking that commercial 4x4s wouldn't be as attractive in other markets. I think sealing the doors would be the biggest hassle. Does this have to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sealing doors doesn't have to be done. just flat floor fitted, windows blacked out and window regulators removed.

So:
    - tint windows
    - remove seats
    - flatten floor
    - remove window winders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

remove all the innards for the window mechanism AFAIK.

Thanks, At least now I know that it can be done.

If I decide to proceed I'll be back for the nitty gritty. :D

This is looking quite attractive at the moment.

Does anyone know of any companies doing this?

It's for a Pajero Sport / Challenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Seatbelt fitting holes have to be welded up too. Window winding mechasim can be left in. As can the glass.

Cmar, you had the Surf as commercial?

• Advertisement

Yeah the Surf was comm, but I bought it that way.

Aha, so it's only the sports models of the Surf that can't be converted to commercial. Might look at them also now.

ballooba wrote:
    Aha, so it's only the sports models of the Surf that can't be converted to commercial. Might look at them also now.

Not sure what you mean by sports model. :confused: All surf's can be converted.

Not sure what you mean by sports model. :confused: All surf's can be converted.
    There was a post on here recently about someone trying to convert a Surf.

They couldn't because the chassis wasn't level. The front was lower than the back. They said it was a Sports model. Not sure what that is either.

I see a garage in Blessington has two surfs up for sale marked as commercials. No pics of the inside so I would say he hasn't taken the seats out yet just in case.

ballooba wrote:
    There was a post on here recently about someone trying to convert a Surf.

They couldn't because the chassis wasn't level. The front was lower than the back. They said it was a Sports model. Not sure what that is either.

I see a garage in Blessington has two surfs up for sale marked as commercials. No pics of the inside so I would say he hasn't taken the seats out yet just in case.

Converting is nothing to do with the chassis. All that has to be done is the rear footwells are supposed to be covered with a steel floor. This will more or less level out the floor.

There are 4 Surf models. Gererations 1 - 4. (more info) I've had both the 2nd & 3rd gen models. Plenty of 2nd & 3rd gens around, commericals & passenger. 4th gen is rare in Ireland and very expensive. I'm on the hunt for a 1st gen now ('84-'89).

Converting is nothing to do with the chassis. All that has to be done is the rear footwells are supposed to be covered with a steel floor. This will more or less level out the floor.
    I thought it was strange too. Maybe they were taking the level floor thing a bit too literally.
    There are 4 Surf models. Gererations 1 - 4. (more info) I've had both the 2nd & 3rd gen models. Plenty of 2nd & 3rd gens around, commericals & passenger. 4th gen is rare in Ireland and very expensive. I'm on the hunt for a 1st gen now ('84-'89).
    I was looking at 3rd Gen. I have seen a 4th Gen but never test-driven.

Would you not just buy direct? Stealers in Ireland rip you off at every turn and you can never fully trust the mileage. The prices on those two Surf in Wicklow are ridiculous.

Advertisement