Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought a car without tax disk.

Options
  • 13-03-2007 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi folks, need your advice now. Bought my first car a month ago without any tax disk, nct. Just received log book yesterday. Its stated ther I'm the owner since 11 feb.The seller told me he kept the car in his driveway for about 7month. So what now, am I supposed to pay back all motor tax for the whole time its untaxed or from date I become a new owner????please help!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

localchap wrote:
    Hi folks, need your advice now. Bought my first car a month ago without any tax disk, nct. Just received log book yesterday. Its stated ther I'm the owner since 11 feb.The seller told me he kept the car in his driveway for about 7month. So what now, am I supposed to pay back all motor tax for the whole time its untaxed or from date I become a new owner????please help!!!!
    Edit: Oops , incorrect info. Apologies. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

tax is only payable after the change of ownership. no Garda required.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭localchap

Yeah but I have no proof of purchase, it was private deal through adverts.ie cash on hands, what am I supposed to do now???:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

proof of purchase is the log book (right?), C.9 in the log book will have the date of sale. You have to pay tax from a month after this date (give you a month). You're not responsible for tax upto the change of ownership

I think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the reg cert for the car will have the date of change of ownership on it. YOu aren't liable for a previous owners tax. Only tax from after the date of transfer of ownership is payable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You have the log book. You pay tax for Feb and after! Crap system - complain to the politicians when they come crawling to your door in two months time

wow, machine gun replies lads lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

localchap wrote:
    Yeah but I have no proof of purchase, it was private deal through adverts.ie cash on hands, what am I supposed to do now???:(

If it states on the Vehicle Licencing Cert that you are only the owner since 11 FEB then you only have to back pay the road tax from February afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You owe tax from the 1st of the month of your log book registration Date. I.e. you have to pay one months arrears for February and tax for the normal three /six/ twelve months from this month on.

You could get a Garda to sign a RF143 to say thatit was off the road until you got the log book this month.

WOw, lads, thanx a zillion, what a relief on me:) I was scared to death thinking i have to pay all tax debt on this car:)

• Advertisement

well I got the book only yesterday in post,does that still mean I have to pay all the time car was off the road?? can I call in Garda station tomorrow asking for that form RF143???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I thought the requirement was to get a Garda to sign and stamp the section of the RF100A detailing the time off the road? Is there even an RF143? (There is an RF134 but that's replacement of documents)

You can grab the necessary form online here.

I think the normal RF100A form should be enough... Ill type some jargon I think is relevent from the back of it:

'5.2 If the ownershop of the vehicle has changed since it was last taxed, you are NOT liable for the arrears period from the expiry of the last tax disc to the end of the month immediately preceding the date of sale.'

The RF100A also has an area for the garda to sign/stamp in the case that a period of 'off the road' is being declared

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You owe tax from the 1st of the month of your log book registration Date

Exactly. So if you bought on the 28th of February one second before midnight, but were silly enough to enter the 28th of February as the date on the paperwork, then tax is due on the entire month of February :)
    Perhaps I'm mistaken but I thought the requirement was to get a Garda to sign and stamp the section of the RF100A detailing the time off the road?

You're mistaken. No need for any forms stamped by Gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

unkel wrote:
    You're mistaken. No need for any forms stamped by Gardai
    Perhaps I should have been clearer. I was referring to the previously mis-stated requirements for declaring time off the road in general. Assuming that the OP taxes the car this month that obviously won't apply.

Advertisement