Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard of North-East Forum Moderating

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As a Drogheda blow-in I have never noticed inactivity on moddding the NE forum, as it rarely has any problems. If any temporary cover is needed I can help out, but I don't think that the amount of traffic warrents it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

daveym wrote:
    Surely a user thought the post was 'clearly actionible (sic)' when they reported it? How is the user supposed to get into the mind of a mod on whether they will agree or not?

Posts are actionible if the breach the charter of the forum they are in.
    A poster can look at the charter and see for themselves.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Thaedydal wrote:

you know as well as I do that one mods 'personal abuse' is another mods 'lively debate'.

That depends on the nature of the forum and it's charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Thaedydal wrote:

That's blatently not true, the Mods interpretation can be very different from the users, and indeed a mods interpretation can be diffferent from another mods interpretation on the same forum AND finally a mods interpretation of similar posts can change depending on who the poster is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

That depends on the nature of the forum and it's charter.

I gotta disagree with this. Charter or not, it ultimately comes down to the individual mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

regi wrote:
    I'm sure we could find some fine upstanding person from Dundalk, or even Shelbyville to co-mod this forum

If you're still looking for help co-modding North East, I'm in Dundalk, a regular reader of the forum & available to help. It's not a mad busy forum, but I'd say I'd be more active than the 2 current mods there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

daveym wrote:
    Surely a user thought the post was 'clearly actionible (sic)' when they reported it? How is the user supposed to get into the mind of a mod on whether they will agree or not?

I agree with you here, it all comes down to the individual mod in many cases. However, some posters do report posts just because they simply don't like the opinion expressed by another poster. In these cases a mod will not act (unless there is something abusive to act on) and there is no point entering debate on the topic.

In other cases four or five users report the same post. If the mods act, they shouldn't have to PM every person who reported the post. Sometimes the person who posted the problematic post is banned from the forum by the mod with no mention made on the thread and the people who reported the post feel that nothing was done. There is discussion ongoing as to whether notes should be left in threads, it's not something that is being ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

padser wrote:
    Also reporting the post in question wouldn't address the other part of the OP problem, which was the 'unacceptable absenteeism at times' on the forum.
    Moderation is not the same as posting. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to go to a forum I mod as a user, but that does not mean I'm not keeping an active eye on it as a moderator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

daveym wrote:
    I would say however that most users wouldn't take an active interest in what goes on in feedback and this info would be a candidate for addition to charters or faqs.
    A lot of the charters already do say something along the line of "if you have a problem, report the post and we will look at it". I've always taken that to mean what it says, and if the report is acted on then fine, if not, then the mod doesn't agree with you.

Also, some mods do take a back seat style of moderating, in that you'll rarely see them posting in the forum, but as soon as you report a post, they are on to it.

I'd imagine that the amount of completely pointless reported posts in somewhere like AH would be unreal, and responding to every person who gets offended/uptight over nothing would be impractical.

I suppose it may be possible to add the reported post info to your user cp, but the problem is, how do you confirm that the mod has looked at the post?

• Advertisement

Blowfish wrote:
    I suppose it may be possible to add the reported post info to your user cp, but the problem is, how do you confirm that the mod has looked at the post?

It should all be automatic. I had a look and it looks like when we upgrade and install this feature we will have some kind of info in quick links and info on reported posts:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137031

This looks like very useful user feedback to me and worth having.

daveym wrote:
    It should all be automatic. I had a look and it looks like when we upgrade and install this feature we will have some kind of info in quick links and info on reported posts:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137031

This looks like very useful user feedback to me and worth having.
    That involves more work for the mods though. I average between 50-100 emails a day. I don't have time to respond to all of them. I can only imagine how bad it must be if you are a mod.

But yes, it is a good idea in theory.

Blowfish wrote:
    That involves more work for the mods though. I average between 50-100 emails a day. I don't have time to respond to all of them. I can only imagine how bad it must be if you are a mod.

But yes, it is a good idea in theory.

It doesn't though does it? The mod just does their usual thing but the user gets to see the status? Or am I missing something? It looks like some of the steps in the example could be made automatic.

In fact this could save the mods who do pm users with status on reported posts some time, as they wouldn't need to any more.

edit: Thanks though, you have reminded by that 'in theory' is one of my pet hates, up there with 'technically' ! Now, where is that thread gone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

europerson wrote:
    I don't believe "aggrieved" is a particularly strong word, especially in comparison to "frustrated" and the not-so-synonymous "apprehensive"..

i do. it suggest a personal involvement, whereas actually, youre just saying that there isnt a mod about that you can see.
    europerson wrote:
    II am, however, not a stupid poster, by any stretch of that adjective's definition. As a user, who has never caused any trouble on Boards, and someone, who gets on with their posting in a quiet and respectful way, especially in comparison to some other users, I think it rather unfair that I should be deplored for starting this thread. Similarly, I am anything but rude, as users who know me will testify.

im not suggesting you are. i suggested that we get the same thing on here time after time after time.
    i dont believe you should be deplored for starting the thread either. i suggested that i thought the language used for something that is not 'personal' was off.

but dont worry about. people say im rude all the time, but im not. i guess yo uand me are in the same boat eh? grab an oar...
    padser wrote:
    Also I never understand why WWM feels the constant need to abuse posters, I know its been brought up before (at least in Personal Issues) but I would have thought that as a Cmod you might make some effort to attempt the behaviour that moderators are on are supposed to prevent.

yawn. this argument gets really tedious.
    'wwman said something that i dont like or dont agree with, therefore i will just be lazy and accuse him of not being a good mod. he has let down the good name of boards.ie'
    like i said. yawn.
    padser wrote:

I know that it would be possible to construe you comment as saying the post was stupid rather then the poster but TBH I just don't see where to need to be constantly so disparaging to users.

oh, perhaps thats what i meant then, but far be it for you to see something positive, but youd rather have a pop at a mod.
    bravo.
    im sure your friends are planning a celebration for you now.

daveym wrote:
    It doesn't though does it? The mod just does their usual thing but the user gets to see the status? Or am I missing something? It looks like some of the steps in the example could be made automatic.
    Well from what I can gather, most mods make their decisions about reported posts through their email, so the steps for checking up on reports but not acting on it are:
    1) open email
    2) read report
    3) open link and read post.

Adding anything to that at all would involve more work for the mods.

Blowfish wrote:
    A lot of the charters already do say something along the line of "if you have a problem, report the post and we will look at it". I've always taken that to mean what it says, and if the report is acted on then fine, if not, then the mod doesn't agree with you.
    some do, some dont.

but why is it when someone doesnt use the report button, and then someone else suggests it, there has to be a huge thread over the whole issue of using the report button, and some mad suggestions that we change everything at the drop of a hat?

im not against change of any kind, but this is not a business, mods are not at the mercy of every whim of the users. they are simply users who make sure that certain fora run smoothly.
    Blowfish wrote:
    Also, some mods do take a back seat style of moderating, in that you'll rarely see them posting in the forum, but as soon as you report a post, they are on to it.
    this is true, although personally, id rather that mods actually had an interest, and took part in those fora that they moderate. after all, they are supposed to be users as well. we are not custodians and jail keepers!
    Blowfish wrote:
    I'd imagine that the amount of completely pointless reported posts in somewhere like AH would be unreal, and responding to every person who gets offended/uptight over nothing would be impractical.?

you have no idea.

'please delete and ban this user as they mentioned that they agree with abortion'.
    so, should i mail them and tell them they just need to put up with it? am i babysitter now as well as some sort of moral compass, paladin of just causes, and general role model?

seriously, the amount of people that feel that mods should do this that and the other are kidding themselves.
    Blowfish wrote:

no idea. i leave that to the techies :)

and some mad suggestions that we change everything at the drop of a hat?

a mad suggestion? who said anything about changing 'everything at the drop of a hat'?

It looks like when vbulletin is upgraded there would be a feature available that I think would be a good one.

Hardly a mad suggestion since it is a feature that is available. Or a request to change everything at the drop of a hat for that matter since I believe
    there is an upgrade planned anway.

It's not hard to see where you got your 'rep' from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

daveym wrote:
    Look, Copperface Jack's is not in the North-East and what happens in Dublin stays in Dublin.

daveym wrote:
    a mad suggestion? who said anything about changing 'everything at the drop of a hat'?

It looks like when vbulletin is upgraded there would be a feature available that I think would be a good one.

Hardly a mad suggestion since it is a feature that is available. Or a request to change everything at the drop of a hat for that matter since I believe
    there is an upgrade planned anway.

it was a generalisation, rather than aimed at this perticular idea.

although as far as reps go, im interested to learn more.

it was a generalisation, rather than aimed at this perticular idea.

fair enough, I was picturing you running off into the sunset in hysterics worrying about who was thinking of the children..

now, back on topic, what happened in coppers?

• Advertisement

pesky children.

and i have to admit i was in coppers in february, for the first time in about 10 years.

and i got chatted up.

and then i texted my wife to tell her i got chatted up. i was very drunk.

but back on topic, and enough of the bickering.

stick bard in as a mod and let him be more active, and can we please use the report feature from now on as it makes everyones lives very much more easy.

and please please please, if a mod doesnt jump straight on something right away, can people give them the benfit of the doubt that they are either busy, or that there is not a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

WWM is making some bold suggestion and thinking outside the box people. I fully support his ideas and feel it's high time chances which have been long promised where enacted without delay. Bard should be made mod as he's old school. WWM should be made legend. Ibid should be banned along with Padser for a period of no less then four years. Europerson should have the person part of his/her/it's name removed.

Boston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

He's thinking outside the box, he shifts paradigms, leverages synergies too from what I've heard. At the end of the day, he's a forward thinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Bard added as mod.

Thanks Bard.

V.

both of you should be banned, for what its worth.

i do like the idea of being a paradigm shifter. must use that in my sales meeting later

i do like the idea of being a paradigm shifter. must use that in my sales meeting later

Paradigm shifter or paradigm shíter ?

youd also be banned if i had the powah.

Nearly bought one of these once, based entirely on the cool description. Could be a useable business phrase:

Paradigm Shifter is a beat shifting delay mangler with lots of modulation options.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/640.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Hahahahahahaha.

... Jesus.

Thanks for adding me Vexorg...

I'll read this thread fully and skim through the forum itself later when I'm NOT AT WORK. To paraphrase Vanilla Ice, "If there's a problem, yo, I'll solve it." Oh yes.

Cheers, hey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Thaedydal wrote:
    Paradigm shifter or paradigm shíter ?
    what's a Paradigm? some sort of fancy shirt?

Advertisement