Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing training firm

• 13-03-2007 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi, has anyone changed training firm during their ACA training contract?

I am sitting FAE this September but my training contract is not up until Oct/November 2008.
    I am working in a Big 4 in Dub and getting on well, dont mind work most of the time but i'm getting sick of Dublin and of busy season in a big 4. Also would really like to get some small practice experience and ideally some tax work. currently just work in audit. I would like to change firm to one nearer home. Not going to say where for anonymity u'd be surprised how small Dublin is sometimes:o

Anyone been through this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've switched but from a Big 4 firm, not sure how they would approach it to be honest.18 months left? You're over halfway there, I'd honestly try stick it out for a while. Sure you'll be on study leave soon anyway and that'll be you out of the loop for the whole summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Oct2008

Ya I thought about sticking it out but I aim to work in a small practice when I qualify (and eventually myself:D ) so would ideally like some small practice experience especially in the areas of accounts prep and tax during my training contract. i'd imagine it would be difficult to find a job as a qualified aca in a small practice if you had no experience in the above areas.

There are also a few personal reasons i would like to be closer to home.

What is the process to change firms?

I wouldn't be changing until after my FAE's. Anybody have any idea how the firm would view this?

Well I guarantee that if you ring the institute about it they'll tell you not to do it and be of no further help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Oct2008

Ya i'm not sure how helpful the institute is in this process however there are a good few people in my firm now who transfered from small firms to ours. (after and before FAE) They argued that they wanted to get the big firm experience. Surely i could argue the opposite arguement that I wanted small firm experience.

If it's something you really really want to do then ask the institute. Actually come back to me and let me know what they say.

Don't approach any firms or anything like that till after the exams though. Oh and you've to get permission from your firm to do that anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement