Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this can't be right

• 14-03-2007 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

please read this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055061115

someone says "I'd be the first to admit that I hate working and tire of things too easily"

and mrtip replys maybe you have adhd and need to see a therapist

then the thread turns into an attack on mrtip

in my opionion
    better to not have a problem and see a therapist (what? maybe €50 wasted)
    then
    have a problem and just carry through life with it (your entire life a misery)

i know its not a medical board, but no one can file a lawsuit against boards for someone suggesting to a poster with a problem to see a doctor
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Tivoli wrote:
    please read this thread

someone says "I'd be the first to admit that I hate working and tire of things too easily"

in my opionion
    then

i know its not a medical board, but no one can file a lawsuit against boards for someone suggesting to a poster with a problem to see a doctor

How do you know they won't try anyway? Better not take any chances in any case. mrtip is not licensed to give anyone a diagnosis on boards.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Tivoli wrote:
    please read this thread

in my opionion
    then

seemed to be a bit of a random post:
    I think you have adhd, but I can't be sure

people disagreed with it, hardly an attack?
    Why don't you post your opinion in the thread rather than here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

daveym wrote:
    people disagreed with it, hardly an attack?
    Why don't you post your opinion in the thread rather than here?

because the people against it are the forums mods :D

Tivoli wrote:
    because the people against it are the forums mods :D

thats when you really have to stand up for yourself man! keep them on their toes. they love it really..

daveym wrote:
    thats when you really have to stand up for yourself man! keep them on their toes. they love it really..

stand up for "myself" ?, that whole thread is nothing to do with me

i actually gave up posting on boards for lent, but was very annoyed by this thread (boards does that too me :) )

• Advertisement

Tivoli wrote:
    stand up for "myself" ?, that whole thread is nothing to do with me

i actually gave up posting on boards for lent, but was very annoyed by this thread (boards does that too me :) )

well you have an opinion on it and are put off posting because the mod will disagree? stand up for your opinion. Maybe you can get a ban until easter!

daveym wrote:
    well you have an opinion on it and are put off posting because the mod will disagree? stand up for your opinion. Maybe you can get a ban until easter!

oh is that the date, guess lent ain't over yet, and since i broke my pledge, i am not going to even read boards till easter now

it will be nice to have my offline life back for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Typical. The speed issues get sorted out and suddenly we're right back in with the "fight teh powa!" threads.

Typical. The speed issues get sorted out and suddenly we're right back in with the "fight teh powa!" threads.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ruu wrote:
    How do you know they won't try anyway? Better not take any chances in any case. mrtip is not licensed to give anyone a diagnosis on boards.
    Sums it up nicely tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

MrTip has 2 posts - the 2 on that thread. What that says, I dunno. I think his choice of words was bad, but not his advice. I wouldn't go out on a limb by suggesting it might be ADHD (only ever knew one lad who suffered with it, can't make an informed opinion on 1 experience), but the "maybe you should seek help" wasn't a bad idea and I think etho_ and nesf came down on him with too much agression - I'm all for ruling with an Iron fist, but that thread didn't warrant it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I have to disagree with you Kharn...
    The Mods were right to knock MrTip down good & hard as it sounds like the OP has enough problems without someone offering a half-ar$ed diagnosis of possible mental illness based on a couple of lines in a post. (Maybe the Mods could have deleted the post & sent a harsh PM instead?)

As for the OP of this thread - why not take this up with WWM as CMod or one of the other Mods of Work & Jobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Make up your minds - first we're told not to give medical advice and now we're told that it's kinda ok.

"boards.ie: so good you'll be giving it up for lent"

Gordon wrote:
    Make up your minds - first we're told not to give medical advice and now we're told that it's kinda ok.

"boards.ie: so good you'll be giving it up for lent"

"boards.ie : so annoying you'll give up your Lenten vows to complain"

daveym wrote:
    :rolleyes:
    I know, its awful isn't it.

I know, its awful isn't it.

well, you didn't seem to have read the thread and were just posting to complain about people giving feedback in the feedback forum (again). I actually rolled my eyes when I read your post so it seemed the right reply

Would you ever grow up and grow a pair? Surely we need more users giving feedback and criticism like the charter asks for, without people like you complaining about them giving it, in the feedback forum (again).

I'd have used a smilie too, but couldn't find a tongue in cheek one, and worked on the assumption that people would recognise the tone. Particularily on that second one.

Apparently I give you too much credit...

I'd have used a smilie too, but couldn't find a tongue in cheek one, and worked on the assumption that people would recognise the tone. Particularily on that second one.

Apparently I give you too much credit...

well fair enough, possibly I'm prejudiced due to previous posts of yours on the slowness thread and was quick onto my high horse (I am always at the ready). Apologies if the post above was meant in jest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hang on, was MrTip actually banned from the forum or just given a harsh talking to? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

IMO, I agree this isn't right.

IMO, MrTip should have been dealt with more severely than that by the mods.

What if the OP believed him?

• Advertisement

*warning, I'm in a kinda !RANT! mood and will go a bit mad over the course of the next 2 or 3 paragraphs :) *

Do you believe everything you read in the papers?
    No

Should you believe everything you read on the internet?
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! tbh, you'd be a moron if you did. Advice was offered, it's up on the person to act on it or not. If I ask for help on putting together a new PC, I will go to the appropriate board and ask advice. I might get 10 replies and only 1 might be of any use to me as it's the advice of a professional as opposed to enthusiastic amateurs. If people thing the internet is going to fix all their problems, then let's hurry the funk up and get them OUT of the genepool - I have no sympathy or tolerance for that kind of blind stupidity. Going back to the papers, if you see a racing tip from someone the papers says is a professional (let's keep it topical) and decide "I'm betting my house on that!" and loose, can you sue the paper for providing the tip? You'd be laughed at and hopefully made an example of. In that sort of situation, I would hope the person who made the bet got kicked by a horse and brutally maimed for their stupidity :D

We can all agree that the main body of the problem is that MrTip started talking about ADHD and that's where you're getting into the unqualified medical advice side of things (actually how do we know that MrTip is not a medical professional? :D). The advice to go and see someone about it is still sound advice. If I were the mod (not a criticism of the mods there, it's not a board I regularly visit so I'm not familiar with the culture there) - I'd have nuked MrTip's post and told him why and banned him for a week or not paying attention to the charters/site rules. I see nesf has (quite rightly) banned him now for snotty answers instead of civil questions. Again I mention the very low post count - what's that about? Paranoia levels must be high when these sorts of characters pop up.

But of course, maybe the OP has already read it and the "damage" is done (where the damage is to go to a professional who might genuinely be able to help). It's not like MrTip said "you have ADHD and need to take drugs X, Y and Z."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tbh, my attention is wandering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Tivoli wrote:
    please read this thread

what was the attack?
    Tivoli wrote:
    in my opionion
    then

and you think that boards.ie is the one and only hope of recovery for this poor wandering soul?
    i would suggest that if the OP had an issue that he felt needed to be addressed, i would hope that they would have the nouce to get it addressed.

i fail to see what impact the vague diagnostic powers of a random internet user is going to have on the someone with so little info or input.

seriously.
    Tivoli wrote:

and by that token, i can just say you have a personality disorder, that you didnt get loved as a child becuase you feel the need to validate yourself by interceeding on this posters behalf, not even on the thread, but in some sort of attention grabbing thread on the feedback forum?

you know, i may just be wrong about you, but hey, can i suggest you see a psychotherapist, you know, just to be sure?

i have no problem with people telling other people they should see a therapist. hey, it would probably do us all good, but we cant have these random medical diagnostics going on.
    telling someone that they may suffer from something is very different than giving solicited advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I was going to post a detailed serious post UNTIL I SAW SOMETHING SHINEY!
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEeeee

THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL FORUM!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

t's never wrong to suggest that someone seek qualified medical advice i.e. a doctor.

It's wrong to suggest a diagnosis on boards even if you are a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

More to the point, it's wrong to diagnose ADHD on the basis of anything other than a proper assessment.

I know it's fashionable to do so, feature articles in Sunday papers' magazine sections are forever coming out with "[historical and/or famous person] probably had ADHD/Aspergers/ADD/whatever-its-commonly-fashionable-to-over-diagnose", but it's hardly unreasonable that posts of similar quality are mocked.

Advertisement