Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do now?

Options
  • 14-03-2007 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I need some advice. I have collected a number of names (approx 150) all calling for BB for our local community. We are placed between two BB enabled Co. Limerick villages but no sign of any upgrading of the local exchange for us. Nor do we have access to wireless - only satellite at huge cost.
    I have been in touch with a local TD who forwarded my desperate call for BB to Noel Dempsey......it came back to me with the usual rubbish and a copy of 'the map' showing us that we had a list of suppliers all waiting to offer us BB (all satallite providers however!)
    Can you advise me what to do, who to contact with our petition? Eircom (who?) politicians (who?)
    Thanks
    Val

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

What exchange are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Will these people agree to sign a 12 month contract with an ISP if they come in and offer broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Val Dennison

Hi Smells, the Kildimo exchange
    Damian, really don't know whether these people will commit but as the local frustration with incredibly slow connections is so intense, I expect a large number will jump at the chance.

Damian, really don't know whether these people will commit but as the local frustration with incredibly slow connections is so intense, I expect a large number will jump at the chance.

Dominic Hannigan from the Labour party seems to have negotiated a deal with ercom where 150 people in Stamullen agreed to sign up for a 12 month broadband contract with eircom if they enabled their exchange. He managed to get 160 people to sign up and I believe the town is going to be getting their exchange enabled this year. It seems unofficially that eircom might just enable an exchange if they got that many customers on their broadband product. Anything less means they would lose money on their investment, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

damien.m wrote:
    Dominic Hannigan from the Labour party seems to have negotiated a deal with ercom where 150 people in Stamullen agreed to sign up for a 12 month broadband contract with eircom if they enabled their exchange. He managed to get 160 people to sign up and I believe the town is going to be getting their exchange enabled this year. It seems unofficially that eircom might just enable an exchange if they got that many customers on their broadband product. Anything less means they would lose money on their investment, apparently.
    That just shows how unfair the Irish market is for competing Telco's. Nice, you wont get BB Val unless you go with eircom. Great Job Noel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

160? And during the "trigger program" they needed over 1000 :)

That just shows how unfair the Irish market is for competing Telco's. Nice, you wont get BB Val unless you go with eircom. Great Job Noel!

Any other telco can do it too by unbundling the exchange.

Okay, I have no time for Eircom BUT I'm a pragmatist. Can anyone tell me who to contact at Eircom and an address if possible?
    I'll send them a copy of my bundle of names.
    Thanks for the info. lads.

Val

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ that happened two years ago here in Hospital co.limerick a town with almost 2000 people and who knows how many within 5km
    we had a petition and had loads of people sign it
    ive sent letters, wrote to the limerick post talked to peter power td everything ive done to no avail
    I dont know anyone who has tried to get broadband as much as i have
    like its been 4 years of trying now
    i dont mean to sound pessimistic val but dont waste your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

How about you get the locals in Hospital Co Limerick to petition for a mast to cover the village with 3G services. That way you can get away from Eircom who dont seem to be too intereted in offering you a service.

You could try and get the mast to be multi-operator and to allow for WISP's to go on it too. Do this, and beet you'll get eircom enabling as well. You'll have more choice than any city dweller by the time your finished :D

Wexfordman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I think its very important that you get in contact with your TD about this. Elections are comming and like Damien said it was someone from labour who convinced Eircom to upgrade the exchange. Eircom and most other companys would probably ignore you in this situation but might take notice if you have a politician heading it up for you. Even get in contact with election hopefuls because 150 definite votes is a big deal tds and wannabe tds will bend over backwards for them.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted.
    Val

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Val send me a PM. I know of 2 wireless companies rolling out into County Limerick soon. I'm not sure if that includes Kildimo but I'll ask.

I wouldn't just hand eircom 150 names and addresses. Get a written commitment from them first before parting with that info.

the gills

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ I'm in county limerick too in a town much bigger than kildimo (sorry val) almost 2000 people and loads more in within 5km
    Its Hospital Co.Limerick

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

kildimo is a village.

I'll send them a copy of my bundle of names.

If you get 150 people committing to sign up for broadband package I can give them to the eircom chairman next time I meet him but as was said you shouldn't hand anything over until you get a commitment. But that goes two ways. Anyone can get 150 people to sign anything, 150 people willing to commit to signing up for a broadband package is quite different.

It would be worth shopping this around to other providers too and see who are interested.

Advertisement