Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Veterinary

Options
  • 14-03-2007 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Our principal who is wise beyond his age (...........yes I am being sarcastic) advised parents in our year at the CAO to always fill professions in your CAO that you'd never even dream of getting the points for, a la Medicine, Dentistry etc... He gave himself as an example, saying that he wanted to do teaching, but put medicine first, dentistry second, pharmacy third... :(:(

Yes, this is our PRINCIPAL.

Anyhow, question is, if YOU got 600 points, would you do the course that you genuinely want to do (that could be worth say, 400 points for ex.) or would you spring for the big bucks?, ie choose medicine, whatever, just because of its prestige even though you have no interest in the job itself?

I was inspired to make this by the amount of (mainly hopeless) candidates who are very open about the choices they stand little chance of getting :rolleyes:

Not that I have anything against those who actually do get it, of course.

With 600 points, you'd do... 44 votes

What you want to do
    0% 0 votes
    Something that needs high points eg Medicine, Dentistry
    100% 44 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Definitely not. I couldn't stand doing any of those jobs, and I think choosing your career solely on how much money it's gonna earn you is just.. wrong, on a fundamental level.

I think people are concerned about the prestige of their course though. I know people put off going to colleges of further education that hold the course they want, because they're worried people will think they're thick for going there. It's a bit of a shame because some little-known places have some really interesting courses but they're immediately assumed to be for people who failed their lc or whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'm casually aiming for over 550, but I only need 355.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I wouldn't do Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Veterinary (but if I was forced to do one from those four it would be medicine.) even if the points were 200.

I need mid-300s at minimum but I'm not aiming that far over them. I don't see a point

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

JC2K3 wrote:
    I'm casually aiming for over 550, but I only need 355

What do you intend doing? And "casually" aiming for 550, never knew anyone could do such a thing.

With 600 points, I'd still do what I want(primary teaching, despite not even putting it down on my cao). No point in pushing up demand for courses you've no interest in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

As appealing as the money sounds I'd much rather go for something I actually want to do. Hence, law...

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote:
    What do you intend doing? And "casually" aiming for 550, never knew anyone could do such a thing.
    "casually" because I don't need it, but it'd be nice. I'm basically not working my ass off, but I'm steadily making an effort.

And I wanna do Computer Science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Mushy wrote:
    And "casually" aiming for 550, never knew anyone could do such a thing.

With the right subject mix, it's very possible, eg a maths/science whiz can take maths, applied maths, all the sciences etc... and cruise into elite results.

I'm more of a languages fella so it's not as easy for me! :D

Steve01 wrote:
    As appealing as the money sounds I'd much rather go for something I actually want to do. Hence, law...

law is usually quite a profitable area if I'm not mistaken! ;)

md99 wrote:
    With the right subject mix, it's very possible, eg a maths/science whiz can take maths, applied maths, all the sciences etc... and cruise into elite results.

You could do Irish, English, 4 other languages and OL maths......

JC 2K3 wrote:
    You could do Irish, English, 4 other languages and OL maths......

A little awkward learning four other languages my school doesn't teach though.

• Advertisement

Who are the two that voted the second option?

md99 wrote:
    A little awkward learning four other languages my school doesn't teach though.
    Well I'm sure they do at least 2 foreign ones, and you could do another one outside school or on your own(like myself with App Maths) - that's 5 languages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

God I hate languages, well I suppose I don't hate them but meh

I hate em too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

md99 wrote:

Hahah, thats me (bar the whiz thing), I made the choice of doing bio, chem, phys and took up applied math at the start of 6th year for the craic. Ive got 5 sciencey subjects, so as long as I can pull off the B in eng/fre Ill be grand.

Em, I doubt I would wanna do any of those courses, if I got 600 I would definitely consider studying actuary in England. Minted!! :D

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Who are the two that voted the second option?
    There's three of them now. You people ought to be ashamed of yourselves! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Make that 4 who'd want to be ashamed of themselves. My gf wants to do medicine though, so guess she needs 600. Guess I'm kinda distracting her by now

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

The fact is if you really wanted a course with high oints you would work extremely hard for it otherwise you won't push yourself furthur than you need to go!

Speaking of Medicine...
    Irish Examiner 14/03/2007

www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=ireland-qqqm=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=27696-qqqx=1.asp

Students to qualify for medicine without top marks

STUDENTS entering fifth year next autumn will be the first to qualify for medical school places without achieving top marks in their Leaving Certificate, Education Minister Mary Hanafin has announced.

The minister will reveal details later this month of the CAO points students will need — in combination with their performance in an aptitude test — to be eligible for undergraduate medicine courses.

Ms Hanafin and Health Minister Mary Harney are awaiting the final report of an expert group which is examining the issue but it is expected that the cut-off point will be at around 450 points out of a maximum of 600.

The outcome of the final report will be unveiled in the coming weeks by Ms Hanafin. She said the changes will be introduced in time for students sitting the Leaving Certificate in 2009.

The minister said she is not disappointed that the changes will come into effect two years after the lifetime of the present Government which made a commitment in 2002 to address the distortion of the points system caused by medicine and other health science degree courses.

“I’d prefer to have delayed and do it right rather than do it wrong. This is a major change for the way the CAO system works and has the potential to be very fair for students who have the aptitude to do medicine,” Ms Hanafin said.

Statistics, published last week by the CAO, suggest that points requirements for medicine may rise again this August as applications up to last month’s deadline were up by 13% on last year.

The least points with which students were accepted into any of the country’s five medical schools in the 2006 first round of offers was 570.

Ms Hanafin said that a number of other measures were already in place to ease the pressure faced by school leavers hoping to pursue a medical career.

These include an increase of 110 places for undergraduate medical students last year and next autumn, bringing the numbers for Irish and other EU students to 420.

The figure had been capped at 310 since the 1970s, meaning the Government now has to effectively buy back these extra places from the medical schools, who previously filled them with fee-paying non-EU students.

The Government is also setting up a graduate med- icine scheme, with more than 500 people applying for the first 60 places being made available next autumn. Vacancies will rise to 240 over the next three years, and Ms Hanafin will also announce which colleges will offer the graduate courses in the coming weeks.

The minister said it was worrying for the economy that last week’s application statistics showed a drop in the numbers of young people applying for science and technology degree courses. For level 8 (honours bachelor degrees) courses, applications for engineering and technology fell by 22% with a 5% drop in numbers seeking entry to science programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Myth wrote:
    The minister said it was worrying for the economy that last week’s application statistics showed a drop in the numbers of young people applying for science and technology degree courses. For level 8 (honours bachelor degrees) courses, applications for engineering and technology fell by 22% with a 5% drop in numbers seeking entry to science programmes.

This is the best Education article I have read all year:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

There's 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

What a joke! I've come across people like that whove said things like "Nobody here should go to *IT. Everyone should go to an Ivy League university like UCC or TCD." Absolute bull.

Choosing a profession based on "prestige" is f-ing ridiculous. Isn't that one of the reasons they're bringing in an assessment for certain courses like medicine, becasue they were getting unsuitable people?

"Prestige" doesn't equal money.

^Why not IT? IT is an area of massive oppertunity....

JC 2K3 wrote:
    ^Why not IT? IT is an area of massive oppertunity....
    Exactly. Don't be fooled into thinking IT courses are substandard just because the points are low. Demand for IT graduates among employers has never been higher and money prospects are damn good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I think by *IT they meant <Any letter>IT as in, DIT, LIT, some otherIT.

Oooooohhhhhhh....

Oh yeah... sorry bout that :rolleyes: I keep hearing the words 'IT' (as in information technology) and 'massive opportunity' being used in the same sentence. Then again the topic of the post should have been a dead giveaway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Physics for life baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Robbiethe3rd

Just reading this I think youre being a bit cruel, I got 600 points and am doing medicine; but I only got those points BECAUSE I wanted to do medicine, if I didnt have to, i certainly wouldnt have worked that hard, there a lot better paying jobs out there than doctors and vets and you'd be foolish to choose either of them for money; you wouldnt make it through the course if it was just for money!

• Advertisement

^It's not aimed at people like you.

Advertisement