Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US visa issue - country of re-entry

Options
  • 14-03-2007 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, quick question about immigration procedures.

Let's say you have a US visa and you're returning to the States after visiting home/Ireland. If you leave from Dublin, then you pre-clear immigration in Dublin airport before you board the plane. BUT, let's say for a few reasons you choose to fly to London first and then on to the States from there - do you have go through immigration in London instead and is it more difficult to re-enter from a country that is not your own?

It's a long shot but does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If you fly from London to the US then you will go through immigration in the US at the port of entry. E.g I went Dublin->Heathrow->Chicago (went through immigration in Chicago O'Hare). Is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Yes, that's what I meant - thanks Ruu! It's good to know because it means I can fly direct to where I live (can't from Dublin) and not have to worry about being held up with immigration between flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 divagirl_2000

2Scoops wrote:
    Yes, that's what I meant - thanks Ruu! It's good to know because it means I can fly direct to where I live (can't from Dublin) and not have to worry about being held up with immigration between flights.

Hi I flew from London Heathrow into Boston and I had to clear immigration in Boston! Just thought I tell you ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There is a bilateral agreement between Ireland and the USA which allows preclearance of immigration in Dublin and Shannon airports. There's also a similar agreement between the USA and Canada.

If you're flying to the USA from any other country, you must clear immigration in the USA on arrival.

So, if you route through London you'll go through immigration at whatever airport you land in in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Immigration_Pre-clearence

Looks like the Carribean countries have got in on the act.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the extra replies. Don't see the point in the whole pre-clearing immigration in Ireland thing: it's a pain in the butt to have to go through when you could be late for a plane. I'd much prefer to do it over there when the time-pressure is off, although that assumes you don't have a stop-over, which is the reason I'd prefer to go from London to begin with!

I was often in Dublin and on the plane and we had to wait for people who were delayed at immigration, at least thats what the flight attendants told us. I have my green card now its not so bad. :)

Ruu wrote:
    I was often in Dublin and on the plane and we had to wait for people who were delayed at immigration, at least thats what the flight attendants told us. I have my green card now its not so bad. :)
    Would these be the guys getting the backroom interogartion? :D

Ruu wrote:
    I have my green card now its not so bad. :)

Lucky [/jealousy]. How'd you swing that? Lottery or marriage or a secret way?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Would these be the guys getting the backroom interogartion? :D

Probably, was hauled there twice meself at one stage before I got the visa. That tiny little room. :)

2Scoops, married to an American lass, 3 years this year.

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote:
    2Scoops, married to an American lass, 3 years this year.

My understanding was getting married only means you get on 10 year waiting list - or is that actual citizenship? So how soon after tying the knot can you get one, out of curiosity? May have to convince/trick some American burd into marrying me! :)

I think it used to be alot easier to get citizenship by just marrying an American. Right now you get a 2 year conditional green card, conditions are that the marriage wasn't just to enter the country or a sham. You have to show that with having bank accounts, loans, etc in both names.

I'm in the middle of lifting the condtions at the moment and when they are done processing my stuff then I will get a 10 year green card. I believe you have the same benefits as a citizen except you can't vote... Don't know about citizenship as it is not in my plans right now, sticking with my Irish one.

Ruu wrote:
    I believe you have the same benefits as a citizen except you can't vote...

It's a bit more complex when it comes to taking important government-funded jobs, unfortunately. I won't be able to compete at the top level here without citizenship because I'm denied about 50% of the opportunities.:(

"US citizens only" i.e. "Irish need not apply" :)

Yeah that is true, never thought of that one.

It is even tighter for some jobs in that they only allow US born citizens to apply. Arnold Schwarzenegger need not apply. :D

Well, in fairness, I'm not trying to be president....
    ...that's for the voters to decide!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Ruu,

There are a couple of BIG reasons why you may want to get the US citizenship, when eligible:

Right now, you are paying taxes but have no say in how said taxes are spent. As you become more and more immersed in US, State and local politics, this will probably become improtant to you.

The Patriot Act. They can deport you and seize all your assets. Your wife would have an awfully hard time...

Dual citizenship is the way to go, mate.

Dave

Something to think about alright, a family friend of mine owns a business here and he is on a green card, advised me to keep my Irish one. I am not sure if I am eligible for a dual citizenship but will look into it. That Patriot Act is a shockin' piece of work!. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Ruu, PM me if you want re the dual citizenship. 'Allegedly' there is no need to give up the Irish passport. But I never said that. :)

There have been problems where "dual citizens" try to re-enter the US after a trip to Ireland. They can get shirty if you don't use the US passport to enter Ireland. No irish entry stamp in your US passport etc.

Don't you have to give an undertaking to renounce your Irish citizenship when you become a US citizen? I know that few do but those that do are careful about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement