Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will my mobile work in NZ?

• 14-03-2007 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi all,
    I am in south America at the mo and had my Irish mobile stolen so i have bought a new one in chile. It is a nokia 1600 which i thought was a pretty much universal phone however someone over here has told me it won't work in New Zealand, something about different netcoverage,Chile-1900,NZ-900 i think he said!? I am a complete dunce when it comes to anything tech so i haven't a clue what that means. Can anyone tell me for sure whether i've bought a dud or not.

One other thing, i know it's the wrong place to ask but it's just a quick question, it is locked to Claro chile network and none of the unlocking sites i've checked support this network, what's my best bet for getting it unlocked..I have entered the wrong code 4 times so i only have one last shot at it :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

http://www.gsmliberty.net/shop/nokia_unlock.php

get the fone unlocked here dude,
    as for chile and nz, just google the operating frequencies in nz.
    i dont know if that fone is tri band, its a basic model so maybe not.

actually, it wont work in nz, so bad luck.
    u need a tri band fone down there boy.

900/1800 is all the nokia 1600 got.
    no good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 will'o'wisp

Cheers for quick response, unfortunately that link you sent me doesn't support the Claro Chile network, I've checked about 15 sites today and only 1 did but the code they sent me didn't work! Am thinking i'm going to have to sell a sob story to the claro folk and hope they take pity and give me an unlock code (probably unlikely since i only bought it yesterday)

About the frequencies, if New Zealand and Chile run on different ones does that mean my phone won't work over there? Sorry for my ignorance, like i said i'm an utter pleb when it comes to phones :confused:

i could write a novel on gsm bands but suffice to say, from my knowledge and i am an engineer, nz cell fones are tri band. yours in dual band.
    so u shud swap if for a tri band fone, get it unlocked and continue your merry way to nz......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Thanks for your help, at least the phone only cost me twenty quid

• Advertisement

Oops that last post from Jabberwock was actually from me :rolleyes: didn't realise someone else had logged in on this computer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telecomsman

To put it simply the advice given to this poor chap is mis-leading.

Check out the site below...from the GSM association and will give a list of its members and the freqs they run.

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml

From the Nokia site, see below, it tells me that the phone can be configured to work for GSM E850/1900 or E900/1800....

http://europe.nokia.com/A4142068

As Chiles GSM operators are running on 1900Mhz this would suggest that the phone will not work on Vodafone NZ, there are other operators in NZ but they are CDMA and not GSM....to the best of my knowledge.

yes, so in plain english, a nokia 1600 WONT work in NZ........:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

legs11 wrote:
    yes, so in plain english, a nokia 1600 WONT work in NZ........:rolleyes:

in even plainer english

a nokia 1600 with firmware version RH-64 will work in NZ
    a nokia 1600b with firmware version RH-65 will not work in NZ

It's all ok, while i've been banging on about my problems on boards the bf has been doing something about it and has managed to find a guy who has just arrived here from New Zealand and is willing to swop phones :) He is even throwing in his sim card with a bit of leftover credit :D
    I knew boys were useful for something!!:p

Thanks again for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement