Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Remapping - worth it?

Options
  • 14-03-2007 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭

Morning all,

A mate of mine has just been on MSN telling me he's getting his BMW 320d E46 remapped through the guys at www.autoremap.ie

According to their database, my 02 Passat 1.9TDI 130Bhp (B6 on the site) would/could get to 165Bhp with another 95Nm of torque.

All looks impressive, but is it really worth it, or are there downsides?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

You'd need 4 wheel drive with that kinda torque

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Not trying to be smart but until they prove to you on a Rolling road that they are the gains you get I wouldn't believe it!!
    www.westwardeng.com
    Martin is his name, has a rolling road and all and you will see proof of the results straight away with him!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The correct process if you intend doing a remap is to dyno the car, remap it and then dyno again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

There is a guy in the north that brings in DMS Automotive & he promises big gains for most diesel cars.
    Remapping is better than a straight chip swap as far as I can make out from what I have read. I would imagine that any changes woudl have to be monitored real-time either on a rolling road, or the real road.
    No two engines are set up or built the same in reality so any "tuning" that would be done has to be done onan individualised basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

Having had many cars remapped i would deffo recommend it. The only exception is a new car still under a factory warranty, just in case. Ok unless you dyno it before and after you wont know exact bhp but you will notice a power increase on a mapped turbo engine for sure. Fuel economy wont suffer
    if driven normally of course and other items like brakes and clutch wont be effected again if driven normally. See link below for upsolute, a well known company in this field.

http://www.upsolute.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Moanin wrote:
    You'd need 4 wheel drive with that kinda torque
    Eh what?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insurance may be an issue. Please bear this in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

im deffo looking to do this, looks like I'll get a 45bhp gain when I remap my 2.0Tdi (140bhp) 185bhp?? sounds great. Should be at least as fast as my old Cupra..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

omega man wrote:
    I have my doubts that you can achieve their figures by chip/remap alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

kbannon wrote:
    I have my doubts that you can achieve their figures by chip/remap alone!

If you had a turbo engined car and had the ecu remapped you might not doubt it. I have had petrol and diesel turbos remapped with great effect. Upsolute are a well known company around the UK and Europe and if you look at the other companies such as revo and amd etc you will see the figures are fairly standard in the industry. The VAG turbo engines are particularly good to remap. Remapping is old news now as its been tried and tested over many years at this stage.

• Advertisement

legally, should insurance companies be told about it?

and what's the biggest issue i'd be dealing with if i remapped a e46 320cd? i don't have one yet, thinking of importing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

this thread is over a year and a half old!

But to answer your question the biggest issue to deal with when remapping a car,particularly a diesel car with high amounts fo torque is the clutch,if the car has high mileage the clutch will be near the end of its life and a remap will accelerate (pardon the pun) that process.

With that said i would recommend a remap,it wil transform your car.stick with a reputable mapper though.

was checkin on other forums linked from google and it's pretty crazy what it can do to a 320d. 0-100 in under 8 seconds.

only worry would be like you said, too much torque for standard parts but people on other forums who had it done didn't think it was an issue..

is there anyone here on boards who has a remapped diesel engine?

edit: mis-typed 7 seconds first time..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

legally, should insurance companies be told about it?

Yes, it's called full disclosure.

There is not a hope that a 320d with just a remap would hit 100kmph in under 7 secs

The 330d with 201bhp takes 7.2 seconds to reach 100kmph,so how is a 320 with 180-190 after the map going to get there quicker? more like 0-100kmph in a shade over 8 secs.

sorry i think the figure was 7.9.. meant to say under 8. apparently a remapped 320d can get to 207bhp and outruns a 330d. just what i read, i'll link if you like..

anyways, back to the insurance thing.. i know ya should legally tell insurance company but how would they find out its remapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

sorry i think the figure was 7.9.. meant to say under 8. apparently a remapped 320d can get to 207bhp and outruns a 330d. just what i read, i'll link if you like..

anyways, back to the insurance thing.. i know ya should legally tell insurance company but how would they find out its remapped?

Would you really run the risk of them not paying out €20k odd grand for the sake of a few hundred euro onto your insurance. I got a quote to take my car from 190bhp to ~220bhp via a remap and was only going to cost me about €200 extra.
    If you were in an accident a diagnostic kit should probably tell it was remapped

yea you're right.. wouldn't worth it.

did you get better fuel economy?

sorry i think the figure was 7.9.. meant to say under 8.

na i was right first time.. http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?p=552153

after reading around on the huge bhp and torque increase, i kinda believe it..

yea you're right.. wouldn't worth it.

did you get better fuel economy?

I haven't done it yet. I'm in too minds, warranty issues to considered, its about €500-€700 and its already fast enough!

• Advertisement

what about resale value? i'd pay more for a car already remapped if its what i was looking for.. or is that not wise?

what about resale value? i'd pay more for a car already remapped if its what i was looking for.. or is that not wise?
    You'd probably be foolish to do so. Extras like that generally don't add value to your resale.
    If you were to do, you might want to look into a bluefin kit (a simple but expensive) handset that lets you add and remove the new map as often as you like. You could then use it on your next car - providing you pay the original supplier an additional fee for the latest map (assuming 12 months i think haven't passed).
    Have read of superchips, regal & thorney etc websites for info on bluefin kits.....

thanks for the info.. will do.

is that the 500-700euro you meant or what way would you go about it?

thanks for the info.. will do.

is that the 500-700euro you meant or what way would you go about it?

Aye. A bluefin kit costs about £400-£500 stg. Superchips have a dublin branch but want roughly €750 for the same thing. The above manufactures give 12-24 month warranty also.
    I'd stay away from ebay tuning boxes

A remapped 320d estate hitting 100kmph in 6.9 secs is thaty guy on the BMW forum smoking crack?

synergy 2.. any thoughts?

tossy wrote: »
    A remapped 320d estate hitting 100kmph in 6.9 secs is thaty guy on the BMW forum smoknig crack?
    possibly :rolleyes:

when did diesel engines get so good anyway or is it just bmw?

Advertisement