Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

move to Cork City

Options
  • 14-03-2007 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,

We're currently living in West Cork but due to my job we may have to move to Cork City or close by - Kinsale, Carrigaline etc. My office will be based in Mahon. Just wondering on peoples thoughts on a nice area to move to with good schools, pubs, food etc. Will have about 400k to buy a house.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ballinlough is one of the most sought-after areas in the city - begging letters from estate agents through the letterbox - and it's only up the road, but I'm not sure what you'd get for 400k. Anywhere around there will do you fine though: Ballinlough, Blackrock, Ballintemple, etc. Just watch out for unscrupulous agents (never!) that label Mahon as Blackrock. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sakigrant

thanks lads - I'll check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

If it was me, I wouldn't live in Ballincollig and work that side of the city. 'Cos Ballincollig is a hole. Ah no, seriously, traffic going from that side up to Mahon Point in the morning is horrendous but worse is traffic coming back through Sarsfield roundabout and Bandon roundabout. Always seems particularly clogged from about the flyover all the way back. I'd avoid it if I were you.

corblimey has a point, traffic in Cork is genuinely reaching a crisis at this point; I've heard many people claim it's worse than Dublin, and I'm inclined to believe them. Your commute could be anything from 15 minutes to over an hour, depending on where you settle.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Kinsale would be a big no-no for me if I was working in Mahon. You'll have to go through (or around) a fair few bottlenecks. Carrigaline is more doable, but still tricky. As Dahamsta said, Blackrock and Ballintemple would be your best bet. Ballinlough to a lesser extent.

You're more qualified to comment than me Dave, but I will say that the last few times I've been in Dublin I've found the traffic improved; whereas in Cork it just gets worse and worse. I've spent an hour or more getting across the city, which in a city the size of Cork is ridiculous. Of course it's a matter of timing too, and thank christ I'm self-employed is all I can say. I'd flip if I had to deal with the kind of crap that goes in at Mahon daily.

adam

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

yes, avoid ballincollig it's souless sprawl with no personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I live between Dublin and Cork and the traffic is much worse in Dublin. There is not really a "rush hour" in Dublin any more as pretty much all day is bad. Then again, because traffic moves so slowly in Dublin, cycling is (or at least feels) a lot safer which is how I try to get around as much as posssible in Dublin. I've almost been killed a couple of times on my bike in Cork.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

A friend told me recently that it took him 2 hours to get from the Silversprings hotel to CIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

The best place i would say that is close to Mahon and has everthing you want near it is Douglas i have been there 5 years and i love it here

Nothing wrong with Douglas per se, but I wouldn't fancy living there. I live in the country these days though, so I guess I'm no longer qualified to comment. :)
    daveirl wrote:
    Somebody ticked me off a while back for taking the piss out of Joe Gavin. I'm still not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

A friend told me recently that it took him 2 hours to get from the Silversprings hotel to CIT.

He probably got lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Good Luck with the move! I'd think about Carrigaline - as it's close enough to Mahon - Douglas, City, also the Coast - i.e. Crosshaven, Fountainstown etc. on those summer days. Good schools, lots of shops. Brand new Dunnes and Lidl just opened a few weeks ago, nice Hotel - with newly refurbished bar (plus lots of other bars/restaurants). And Carrigaline would be a teeny bit cheaper than Douglas. There's still a Community Spirit within Carrigaline!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Glanmire is nice - bit more of a community feel to it than some areas in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

daveirl wrote:

two of the biggest dumps in Cork, no Ireland.... in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sakigrant

thanks for all the replies - given me plenty to work on.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

daveirl wrote:

well personally, i wouldn't advise anybody to live somewhere that i wouldn't live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

I'ld be lookiing at the housing market in Carrigtwohill or even Middleton as a base if I were working in Mahon.

50,000 yo's or more cheaper than an equivalent house in Douglas or Blackrock. And the commute at rush-hour could be even less time-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cobhman

Don't rule out Cobh or any east Cork location - allows you the best of both worlds - town and country. Commute is ok. Schools are fine. Gets you out of the City.

He's right of course. I live in Castlemartyr myself and I'm as happy as a pig in poo. Unfortunately I may have to move to Cloyne soon, but we all have our crosses to bear. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

Judes wrote:
    Good Luck with the move! I'd think about Carrigaline - as it's close enough to Mahon - Douglas, City, also the Coast - i.e. Crosshaven, Fountainstown etc. on those summer days. Good schools, lots of shops. Brand new Dunnes and Lidl just opened a few weeks ago, nice Hotel - with newly refurbished bar (plus lots of other bars/restaurants). And Carrigaline would be a teeny bit cheaper than Douglas. There's still a Community Spirit within Carrigaline!
    community spirit my eye. though it is good for commuting and is near everything. the bus service is quite good the pubs there are pretty good too. houses are reasonably cheap too loads of developments going up. the schools are good though there is only one community which is hit and miss in many people opinions. but plenty of schools nearby. the shops are good too dunnes, lidil and we boast the biggrest super value in munster i know exciting. all in all its not a bad spot for newbies. im just a bit cynical because iv grown up there. best of luck. oh the only thing you may get caught on is carrs hill which is the main road to the south link but if you leave early enough its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

dahamsta wrote:
    Unfortunately I may have to move to Cloyne soon,
    adam

Heh, then you'ld better start learning how to play hurling! Otherwise you'll be ostracised for life down there. At the very least pick up the "Bluffers Guide To Hurling" so you can spoof away in the local pubs. They don't talk about anything else down there.
    Quantum Computing or Windows Operating Systems are NOT the hot topics of conversation in O'Neills pub.

BTW, I re-pocated to Ladysbridge for around three years in the early 90's ...... and I loved it down there.

Advertisement