Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here work as a chef?

• 14-03-2007 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I'd appreciate it if anyone working as a chef of any grade could give me their opinion on this?

In about 12-18 months I'll have the opportunity to leave my job, and possibly move to Australia/New Zealand with my partner.

The chances of me getting work over there in what I do are slim, and I'm not sure if I want it anyway.

So my plan is to finish my job here, and do a 4month Failte 'Culinary Skills' course, which basically 'qualifies' you to become a commis chef, or at least looks better on a CV than no chefing experience at all!

I have a big interest in food, can cook, and have worked in many 'fine dining' restaurants for more than 4 years as a waiter, so I'm used to the pressure/speed of work etc.

I'd like to start out in a decent restaurant/hotel such as Ely/Merrion Hotel or Bleu etc, so then I can continue to work in places where the food is good and challenging to cook.

So I basically have a few questions about working as a chef, such as;

Is 24 a bit old to be starting out as a commis?

Will the pay be terrible, or at least minimum wage?

Is it easy enough to find work abroad as a chef?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Have to say, fair play to you man. I did that course and finished about a fortnight ago, and I'm 26! You wouldn't be the first and won't be the last to start mid-20's, or even older; there were guys and girls doing it twice our age, so don't worry about it. Pay is something slightly above minimum wage, I'm looking for work at the moment so it's more a case of getting your foot in the door than anything else. Working abroad, maybe if you have hotel kitchen experience here it'll help you more looking for work abroad, in another branch. Hope that helps you, and the best of luck in the future :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

Thanks for the reply man. How was the course, it's very basic isnt it? Prep skills and theory etc?

If you dont mind me asking, can you work while you're doing it? And do you still get the the social welfare payments if you work as well?

Btw, there's plenty of commis chef jobs going in Dublin at the moment on www.jobs.ie

Gordon Ramsay is also hiring apparently...http://www.gordonramsay.com/corporate/humanresources/currentvacancies/ :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

It is basic but it covers a lot in a short time and the instructors are top-class. There's not too much theory, it's mostly practical work. I thoroughly enjoyed the course but in addition getting a book like, for example, Jacques Pépins Complete Techniques would help a lot, especially for covering basic knife techniques, prepping vegetables, and so on. About working at the same time, there were some who did it, but I'm not sure on the specifics. I've just yesterday applied to a rake of commis jobs on jobs.ie so fingers crossed :) You need any more info feel free to PM.

Advertisement