Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route Selection Issues

• 14-03-2007 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Yesterday my wife (using a Chicago 6000) was returning from Tuam to Portlaoise. The GPS brought her towards Galway, then towards Portm=umna and across country to Portlaoise - distance 186 KM time predicted 2hrs 46 mins.

She had expected it to go via Athlone, Tullamore. I checked the route planner in it and by forcing it to go via Athlone, Tullamore the distance was only 166KM and predicted time was 2hr 42 minutes - 4 minutes less!!!!

It's set to choose "fastest/car" so any ideas why it would select the Galway route?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Incidentally, I just checked with MS Autoroute 2005 and its first choice was Tuam to Portlaoise via Athlone/Tullamore at 152Km, but when I forced it to go via Galway it was 161KM

(Note in both posts above by Galway I mean towards Galway, neither Chicago or Autoroute actually suggested going into the city, both correctly turned at the N18)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not sure about Chicago 6000, but the Garmin software has additional criteria for route selection, such as: prefer highways (as compared to lesser roads).
    Maybe it's got a larger road bias?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Yeah, thats what I'm thinking, the route it selected had more N roads (N17, N18, N6, N65).

However, either way the route selected was neither the shortest (186Km vs 166KM) nor the quickest (2hrs 46mins vs 2hrs 42 mins).

So how does this meet "fastest/car" as a criteria?

If anyone has a non-Navteq GPS, would you try Tuam-Portlaoise and see whch route/KM/time it selects?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm surprised that it didn't pick the quickest time route but they will tend to aim for higher rated roads whenever they can. Is there also any difference between the routes with the number of turns that you'd have to make?

It does show that you need a certain level of general map reading ability when using the GPS so that you can ignore it when needed and pick a different route until it catches up and recalculates for you.

Advertisement