Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Subaru Legacy Estate

Options
  • 14-03-2007 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying a Subaru Legacy estate new or nearly new (preferably nearly new). Any thought on the car. I hear the resale is crap as they dont sell too many of them and that it drinks petrol (there is no diesel). otherwise it is supposed to be an excellent car. The front and back of the car is a bit bland but the side profile is one of the nicest I have seen in a while. Anyone here have one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

Jez, not sure the resale is crap, where did you see that?

If you are buying, make sure you get the newer model with the 2.0 'R' or 'RE' spec. Power is ~ 165bhp compared to ~125bhp for the GL. Also, pretty sure they come with 17" alloys now too. Make the car look much better.

The 2.5l is also another option, again, ~165bhp, more torquey than the 2.0l I hear. Also, full leather as standard. UK has laods of them at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Never thought of UK - but there is a good bit of hassle with VRT etc. Yeah it comes with 17inch alloys alright. I have seen the resale thing mentioned on CBG and elsewhere. Basically in Ireland no one buys them so the second hand market is poor for them. I have always really liked them but have heard some scary things about fuel consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

The Legacy is ultra reliable and a great car to drive. Servicing is reasonable also. We have a 2.0 auto and get low to mid 30's mpg overall. Go for the estate as more practical, better looking and far easier to sell on (when the time comes) than the saloon - which always had poor residuals. You are buying a car with more equipment, character and engineering than most 3-series or A4's and all for Mondeo money.

The 2.0L's power was increased for the 2006 model year up to 165bhp when the 2.5L was dropped (apart from the Outback) and then there is the 3.0 & Spec B too (Q Car).

2005 & earlier 2.0L's have nice sporty cloth seats & 16" alloys .... the 2.5's a few more bhp, leather upholstery, 17" wheels & cruise control.

I think leather became an option on the 2.0L in 2006.

2007 - All models have 17" wheels & cruise control (AFAIK) ... slight facelift and interior upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

they are a great looking estate but the lack of diesel obviously limits them....diesel on way though but prob 12-18 months away

I have been doing some investiagtion and these things seem great value for money alright. I think they look great as well. I saw a silver 2007 estate yesterday and was very impressed. The interior IS a little bit drab as discussed but it's more functional than plush. Does it come with A/C as standard I wonder? Going to have a look at one on Saturday in Crumlin.

• Advertisement

Gonna go down and test drive it on Saturday in Bursey Peppard in Crumlin. There is a 06 demo model down there for sale.

I have also been recommended to get the automatic. Anyone have any idea what a 06 demo model would go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Auto is definitely the way to go, helps resale as well. Most legacy owners hold on to their cars for years because of their reliability, hence the lack of them second-hand.

Can highly recommend them after owning one, even if it was only for a short time!

Expect to pay €28-€29k for a 06 Demo

28-29 seems low. i owuld have expected it to be around 31 if it was fully loaded plus it is through a dealership and they always start off at a higher proce. It all depends what you get trade in at the other end of course!!! 28 would be good though depending on mileage of course. I wonder what kind of warranty you get with that demo model?

• Advertisement

You will get the balance of the new car manufacturers warranty.

Carzone stats: ???

Full car warranty: duration (months): 36 or distance (miles): 99,400, distance (km): 160,000

Powertrain warranty: duration (months): 36 or distance (miles): 99,400, distance (km): 160,000

Anticorrosion warranty: duration (months): 144 or distance (miles): unlimited, distance (km): unlimited

Paint warranty: duration (months): 36 or distance (miles): unlimited, distance (km): unlimited

Road-side assistance warranty: duration (months): 36 or distance (miles): unlimited, distance (km): unlimited

Intermediate service distance 15,000 and period (mths) 12

Main service distance 30,000 and period (mths) 24

NB: On my warranty & service booklet it states -

General: 3 years or 100,000 km ... whichever comes first

Rust: 12 Years ... Distance driven unlimited

Paint Surface Rust: 3 Years ... Again unlimited distance driven

Genuine Parts / Accessory Parts Coverage (i.e. Replacements): 2 Years from date of installation.

Not so bad plus you know it will have got a full service history and all the extras. On the downside there is bound to be a high mileage and a few dings and scratches. Mind you that is always good for knocking down the price. Plus with the facelift you can argue it is an out of date model.

(FWIW) Personally, I can fully recommend HB Dennis at Airside.

kmick wrote:
    Not so bad plus you know it will have got a full service history and all the extras. On the downside there is bound to be a high mileage and a few dings and scratches. Mind you that is always good for knocking down the price. Plus with the facelift you can argue it is an out of date model.
    You can try, but the facelift for 2007 is very slight compared to most manufacturers. Having said that, the improvement in spec might be a good bargaining tool. Subaru paint is quite delicate too, so chips easy enough.

Good selection in the UK too

http://www.allapprovedcars.com/NearlyNewCars.aspx

Was that improvement in spec just a facelift to the seat covers and the dash?

kmick wrote:
    Was that improvement in spec just a facelift to the seat covers and the dash?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&MakeID=29&xMakeID=29&ColourID=&xColourID=&ModelID=251&xModelID=251&Doors=&BodyID=&Engine_Min=&Year_Min=&Engine_Max=&Year_Max=&Price_Min=&Price_Min_integer=Minimum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&CountyID=&xCountyID=&Price_Max=&Price_Max_integer=Maximum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&BusinessID=&xBusinessID=&IsPrivateSale=&FuelID=&SortBy=MakeAsc&MaxRows=100&InsertPeriod=&ResultFormat=&submit=Find+%3E%3E

2005 v 2006 ... 2.0L engine up to 165bhp, but exact same bodyshell & interior trim (AFAIK). Check though that an '06 reg car is not the slightly lesser powered engine from '05.

2007 .... New bumpers, alloy wheels, twin exhaust, cruise control std on 2.0L, interior trim upgraded slightly & and a few new colours. All in all, even better value for money. Although a used one of the 2006 165bhp model (auto estate) probably the best buy if ~ 10K+ below new RRP. Like Hens teeth in Ireland though, when you start to narrow things down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Just look at the back if its the new 165 bhp engine it will have twin exhaust ie one at either side! Was thinking of changing my 03 Forester but will wait to hear details on the new Diesel

Advertisement