Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best time to replace a hedge?

Options
  • 14-03-2007 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

We're working on our house at the moment and I can't wait to get started on the garden. The back is like a warzone but the front garden won't be affected by the builders (I hope!).

The neighbour to one side has agreed to let me take down our nasty shared hedge, fix the fence and replace the hedge (she's not lazy, she's an old lady and we're glad to do it). I was thinking of putting in a rose hedge, rosa rugosa. I reckon it'd be good-looking all year round and fairly dog-proof (any thoughts?). It also would be relatively low-maintenance and quick to establish.

We could do this any time in the next year. Is there any best time?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would imagine now, to give it time to establish before the weather gets too warm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

The experts used to say "any month with an R in it" which I guess would be around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Thought that was oysters? I'd better get digging so. Anyone reccommend a good nursery for reliable plants?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wouldn't leave it much later than Easter, and you will have to water fairly frequently over the summer. Otherwise leave it till October. Rosa Rugosa is lovely, would love a hedge of that myself :) .

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

container grown plants can be planted at any time of the year, but bare rooted plants can only be sown from nov-march.

Now is a good time to plant your hedge as its not too dry or wet and plants will have time to settle and root some, before hot weather, It's important to keep it watered during dry weather....

Rosa Rugosa or Japanese Rose is ideal for hedging, it is an informal hedge and is pretty easy to maintain by dead heading in summer and pruneing in winter. Be sure to select a suitable variety for the space available....

(The month with r in it, I think is related to oysters)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i planted a bare root beech hedge at the weekend, about 16 inches between the plants; what's the best way to prune it to promote growth, both upwards and outwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Will a thorny hedge not cause issues with any children?

I would also plant now to get it started before any heat arrives.

Keep pruning it bak so you dont get many long single stems, also keep the base free from grass and weeds or you will end up with a bare base.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

GreeBo wrote:
    Will a thorny hedge not cause issues with any children?

Don't have any yet, but I assume that the once bitten, twice shy rule applies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Whizzo

I just planted a laurel hedge around my garden. I asked the guy in the garden center/shop when was the best time, he said before end of march. Get busy this afternoon:D
    I found the link below very useful, it may be of help.
    http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/forestry/boundaries.htm

Advertisement