Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing question

Options
  • 14-03-2007 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Guys, my new second hand car is out of TAX, im collecting this week, and the weekend thats in it im a bit reluctant about driving with no tax. the garage is telling me that they cannot tax it because they only have trade insurance !? and that the car needs to be insured private. is this true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Just pick it up. If you get stopped by a guard, explain that you only bought the car. Tax it as soon as you have the VLC, insurance cert etc. Just don't park on a street where a traffic warden / Guard could give you a ticket, even if you do, you can get the ticket cancelled.

I drove my last new/second hand car for nearly 6 weeks before I taxed it. Was never stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Squawk

Am in the same sitution myself, just bought second hand car and cannot tax it until I have my insurance cert (which is in the post supposedly). Was advised by the garage to bring my VLC with me when I was driving for proof of ownership and explain the situation and I'd be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Squawk

Hey,

Just read over previous posts about tax issues as am anxious too and saw this quoted:

"Failure to tax your vehicle and/or display a current tax disc is a serious offence and you are liable to receive a fine and/or face prosecution if you do not comply."

Seems to be at the discretion of the Guarda at the time but that cars that are out of tax for a considerable amount of time eg 3 months will be hit with heafty fine or summoned to court. Are supposed to be coming down hard on drivers who are driving without tax for long periods of time.

H

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

It will take Shannon about 4 weeks to get the Reg Cert back to you, So you can't tax it until you get that. That should take you well into April, but you'll have to tax it from 1st April. Also get a receipt from whoever you bought it from .Keep it in the car. No self-respecting cop will do you ,then !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

It will take Shannon about 4 weeks to get the Reg Cert back to you, So you can't tax it until you get that. That should take you well into April, but you'll have to tax it from 1st April. Also get a receipt from whoever you bought it from .Keep it in the car. No self-respecting cop will do you ,then !!!

ya keep the recipt in the area where you would put a tax disc on the windscreen. have your cert of ins with you and have your driving licence with and there should be no hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

I wouldnt worry about it, tax on my 1st car was out when I bought it and I didnt sort it out until 7 months after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Ehh... that's nothing to be proud of Lorax...

Like the others have said, you would usually be given a week or two grace after buying the car. As long as you keep the receipt with you there shouldn't be any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Phone Shannon to ''enquire'' about the change of ownership forms. Even though they have a backlog, they will root out yours and if you tell them you need it asap they will have it on the way to you straight away. I did this last week after only buying my car two weeks ago and got my cert on monday. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Youll be grand dude.
    There is a period of grace that the guards will give you.

Just make sure you have some documentation showing you have just bought the car and youll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

Guys, my new second hand car is out of TAX, im collecting this week, and the weekend thats in it im a bit reluctant about driving with no tax. the garage is telling me that they cannot tax it because they only have trade insurance !? and that the car needs to be insured private. is this true.
    hi a dealer who has motor trader policy can put tax on a vehicle but he is limited to3 months only.

• Advertisement
Advertisement