Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No GPS Signal in Churchtown, Dublin???

Options
  • 14-03-2007 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm new to this board; I need help from somebody who has already used Airis T920A.

I had ordered an Airis T920A GPS Navigator on pixmania.com, which was delivered to me yesterday. I did all the initial set-up as it was mentioned in the user manual, like - insert the smart card into the slot, activate the GPS by generating the activation key and feed it into the machine, language set-up, etc.

But all the while, its been saying "No GPS!" on the screen and also there is no GPS information - the latitude and lontitude shows zero. I checked in various locations, on Landscape Rd Churchtown and on the way to the Nutgrove shopping center Rathfarnham. But it still said "no gps!" :(

Any idea as to what the problem may be or have I screwed up or missed something in the initial set-up?

Thanks in advance!!!
    thehegdes

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Mine took a good while to start up, but now once i'm in the car it picks up a signal after about 30 seconds. I presume your not indoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

it most likely won't work indoors...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Try using the "navigate to" option. Sometimes I have notices that it can be a bit lethargic getting its signal and when you give it a destination to go to, it seems to get the signal almost immediately.

It won't really work indoors unless you're in a bungalow with a felt roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭thehegdes

I was not indoors and I did give it some time to get itself up. I will try this "navigate to" option next. Hope that helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Firstly, don't worry, it's not location dependent, Churchtown isn't in a GPS vacuum, but if your location is typically surrounded by tall buildings, it may take a little longer for it to get a lock. Try moving into an open area to try and establish initial lock.

Secondly, the first time you turn on your GPS device (or even if it hasn't been turned on in ages) it needs to re-orient itself, find out where in the world it's currently located, and download the latest almanac data (position, status, and path of the satellites). This can take up to 15 minutes, as this information is only broadcasted every 12.5 minutes.. This is called a Factory start.

So, head to a field, bring a newspaper, and give it 20 minutes and see how it goes.. Once the device has downloaded the latest alamanac data, it should only take 30 seconds or so, to get satellite lock (a cold or warm start).

After 20 minutes, if you don't have satellite lock, then you may have the GPS reception turned off, or you may have a hardware issue.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much!! The info was very helpful. Hope going into the field with some newspaper and coffee will help ;)

Well, I don't know if the newspaper and coffee will actually help, but it wont hurt!

Unless you spill the coffee..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You will also need to allow the gps to redownload the almanac data if you have moved a long distance since the last time you turned it on, such as after a plane journey.

Did that work for you Thehedges?

Oh yeah!! Thanks so much again!! I did go a field with a novel and ofcourse the GPS.. :) It took around 5 min to get the signal. Then I realized that it only had the France map in it and so was not able to locate itself in Ireland.

Now I have a new problem, I am not able to download the Britain.prm file using the activesync application. Activesync is very slow and unreliable and the Route66 software requires a card reader/writer.

Guess these devices are not meant for layman.. The user manuals are also not helpful.

• Advertisement

Thanks to the card reader/writer on my laptop,. it was a cake walk to load the maps into the card this time.

Hopefully, my problems with the GPS should end here :)

Advertisement