Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

typical cost for free fees on evening degree

• 14-03-2007 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

A friend is considering taking an evening degree in UCD. What is a typical cost per year? Does it differ between a higher dip and a degree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I'm doing an Arts Evening Degree at the moment and it costs a little bit over 12,000 € (for the full course).
    UCD is however changing the Arts Evening Degree at the moment and from 2008 on it's combined with the Day Degree and you can take courses whenever you want. I don't know, how that has influences on the fees and, if for examples free fees will be available for evening degrees as they aren't at the moment and you have to pay full fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Yes, it's about €1,550 per subject per year in the evening Arts degree, (obviously that tends to increase a bit every year) so if you take two subjects in the same year it'll cost something over 3 grand since it's €3,100 at the moment.

With regard to the amalgamation with the day degree, I doubt this will have any effect on the matter of fees for evening students. It seems to me to be just a 'smoke and mirrors' exercise to conceal the fact that they are dropping subjects from the evening degree. In theory they'll say you can take them during the day instead, but if that suited people they wouldn't be doing the evening degree in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

It might have an impact on the fees, as at the moment the evening degree is seen as a part-time degree, which means that you are not eligible for free fees, even if you take the required number of credits during the year, which would qualify you to be classed as full-time student. if you would study during the day. With day and evening degree merged, that might make it harder for the state to deny us free fees.
    Of course for that to happen, someone would have to sue the state first.

Advertisement