Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dick Roche came out against boundary extension

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Kilkenny/Carlow constituency is going to be a battleground for FF and FG hence this sort of thing.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mike65 wrote:
    The Kilkenny/Carlow constituency is going to be a battleground for FF and FG hence this sort of thing.

Mike.

Agreed. No boundary extension (or mention of) this side of an election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Maharet wrote:
    http://www.051.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117

He says no commission will be set up to examine the proposal. :confused:

He said the same last summer at a Coco meeting in Kilkenny last summer, that he wouldn't be proceeding with a boundary commission,, and that he wanted to see greater co-operatione between the local authorities instead..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Common sense to prevail.
    Just as well anyway with one third of Waterford City Council off again on their annual mid March " jolly" to the US of A with their partners in toe!!!!
    Meanwhile Avensis joins job losses at Kromberg & Waterford Crystal amongst others. Waterford people would be better employed putting pressure on these characters to fight their corner for the proper city needs rather than worry about diversionary tactics like land grabs.
    If they could claim a few areas of South KK maybe they could have qualified to bring a few more heads next year & throw in a few extra trips to St Heberlain on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Common sense to prevail.
    Just as well anyway with one third of Waterford City Council off again on their annual mid March " jolly" to the US of A with their partners in toe!!!!
    Meanwhile Avensis joins job losses at Kromberg & Waterford Crystal amongst others. Waterford people would be better employed putting pressure on these characters to fight their corner for the proper city needs rather than worry about diversionary tactics like land grabs.
    If they could claim a few areas of South KK maybe they could have qualified to bring a few more heads next year & throw in a few extra trips to St Heberlain on top.

I was wondering how long it would take you to start trolling on here. Common sense doesn't even enter into it, and you know it.

If I were you I would pay more attention to the shameful way your ignorant south Kilkenny politicians behave than to anything Waterford City Council does. You recently had another idiot compare Waterford to Nazis looking for Lebensraum on his blog until he was shamed into taking it down. Who wouldn't want to keep these Paisleyite savages away from running the northern suburbs of the city? The same crowd wouldn't even cut a weed, or clean up a road in advance of the Tall Ships, not to mind spend a penny in the area.

What harm, sure it'll probably happen mid-way through the next term of government if FF get in. Dick Roche and Bertie are the right men to be sending down to south Kilkenny, they know how to talk to the gombeen men.

And again, KKCAT, if you are unhappy with Waterford city, you can always leave. The less bitter little vipers like you we have infesting the city the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Well said Merlante.

It just goes to show you how insular these idiots are when they have the arrogance to compare their own petty parish pump grievances with the suffering inflicted by the Nazis.What's even more amazing is the fact that their so called political leaders seem to be totally unaware that this behaviour is unacceptable in the 21st century and openly indulge in it.It's as if none of them have seen a news bulletin or a news paper other than the Kilkenny people in the last five years.Cue the nut jobs from Glenmore sending in letters to the News & Star announcing Kilkenny's moral superiority over Waterford. Its like Irelands equivelent to the "end timers" in Americas bible belt who welcome global warming because it's a step closer to the rapture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

mad man wrote:
    Well said Merlante.

It just goes to show you how insular these idiots are when they have the arrogance to compare their own petty parish pump grievances with the suffering inflicted by the Nazis.What's even more amazing is the fact that their so called political leaders seem to be totally unaware that this behaviour is unacceptable in the 21st century and openly indulge in it.It's as if none of them have seen a news bulletin or a news paper other than the Kilkenny people in the last five years.Cue the nut jobs from Glenmore sending in letters to the News & Star announcing Kilkenny's moral superiority over Waterford. Its like Irelands equivelent to the "end timers" in Americas bible belt who welcome global warming because it's a step closer to the rapture.

Are you for real? It's clear from reading this post of yours and previous ones you deeply hate Kilkenny. Do you seriously and honestly think that an extension of Waterford city into KK would have made life any better for the citziens of Waterford or surrounds?

And as for KK politicians, yes many of them are idiots. But so are politicians from everywhere in Ireland. There is certainly nothing superior about the politicians from Waterford I might add.

mfitzy wrote:
    Are you for real? It's clear from reading this post of yours and previous ones you deeply hate Kilkenny. Do you seriously and honestly think that an extension of Waterford city into KK would have made life any better for the citziens of Waterford or surrounds?

mfitzy, it's easy to dismiss posts on the basis that it allegedly shows some sort of obvious hatred. What I hate about Kilkenny is the attitude of politicians and many individuals in south Kilkenny to Waterford, in comparing us to the Nazis. I hate the fact that they are mired in parish pump politics and cannot see that the boundary extension is not an act of invasion. I hate the fact that Waterford Port, with a history of some 1,093 years, having relocated to what is technically Co. Kilkenny a scant decade ago, is now being claimed as a Kilkenny port and named as 'Belview Port' in documents produced by Kilkenny. I also hate the money grabbing use and abuse of south Kilkenny by the same council, who consider it their right to own the port in perpetuity and not to re-invest any of the cash generated from the northern city suburbs back in the area. I hate the fact that the council do nothing for the northern approach for Waterford, never upgrade any roads, or even cut a blade of grass. I hate the fact that south Kilkenny polticians refer to Ferrybank as a separate town, as if it were somehow not part of the city just because an imaginary line crosses it. I hate the fact that Kilkenny Co. Co. grease the wheels for developments in the northern suburbs regardless of whether they fit in with the city's development plan or not. All of this is nothing more than gombeen savagery.

BUT, I do NOT hate Kilkenny people, and I do NOT hate the Co. Kilkenny, and I do NOT hate (or want to steal) Kilkenny hurlers. I would just love it if the city council could plan for the entire city, and not have to fight with Kilkenny Co. Co., over every little thing. The talk of 'compromise' and 'co-operation' by Kilkenny Co. Co. is analogous to the same talk from vintners during the leadup to the smoking ban. Compromise and co-operation are only ever put on the table when one party realises that it's previous intransigent stance will harm them even more in the long run.
    mfitzy wrote:
    And as for KK politicians, yes many of them are idiots. But so are politicians from everywhere in Ireland. There is certainly nothing superior about the politicians from Waterford I might add.

No member of Waterford City Council has ever, to be best of my knowledge, referred to another council/city/county/people as Nazis, and so on. I'm afraid south Kilkenny politicians currently set the bar for ignorance and stupidity in this part of the island.

mfitzy wrote:
    Are you for real? It's clear from reading this post of yours and previous ones you deeply hate Kilkenny..

...I see though KilkennyCat 2004 gets no comment from you when he wants to insult Waterford.

What a crock of ****.Quote one post I have made that demonstrates that I hate Kilkenny.My post was in response to Merlantes comments about KK2004's post.The rest of my post concerns letters that appeared in the News & Star from Glenmore and Slievrue that that were in fact racist and offensive to Jews,Palestinians,Germans,English,the weakest members of society and last but not least Waterford people.Including claims that Waterford was the most English of all the counties (despite it having a gaeltacht) and the fallacy that Kilkenny was more Irish.No to mention moral superiority.People who have no problem exposing themselves as bigots if it means they can get a dig at Waterford.

Any politician local or otherwise who can make comments about Nazi Germany on this issue is absolutely without dignity.Also the fact that they can do this without any regard to the controversy by similar but less vitriolic comments (which at least had some basis in fact) by President Mary McAleese in Northern Ireland not long before this means only one thing,an insular view of the world.

mfitzy wrote:
    Do you seriously and honestly think that an extension of Waterford city into KK would have made life any better for the citziens of Waterford or surrounds? .

Yes I do.So does anyone who has a scintilla of knowledge about urban planning or sustainable development and is not blinded to reality by county loyalties.Counties that were founded by the British in the first place and based on 16th and 17th century demographics.The fact is if there was no merit in Waterfords proposal there would be no reason for "stir up the mob" language like "land grab"or "money grabbers" or "Hitlers henchmen/lebensraum".The proposal would be debated and accepted dismissed on its merit or lack of.

mfitzy wrote:
    And as for KK politicians, yes many of them are idiots. But so are politicians from everywhere in Ireland.There is certainly nothing superior about the politicians from Waterford I might add.

Well until Waterford politicians start having extremist rants about "lebenstraum" and "Hitlers henchmen" and threaten to parade around Kilkenny in their county colour underwear then I'm afraid Kilkenny councillors will remain superior on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Indeed, anyone of us from Kilkenny with any decency should be ashamed of the Nazi comments. Comparing people to nazis has become way too easy these days, people forget just what they're talking about. Whole countries being taken over by a bunch of nuctcases, with people like Mengele given free reign to experiment on the non-"aryan" parts of the population in disgusting evil and inhumane ways. Shipping all the local Jewish population off to the camps. Millions died. :(

Oh yes I can see just how that's like Waterford city council wishing to extend an administrative boundary so as to run a city more efficiently. Anyone who even thinks of agreeing with this nonsense should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves and the KK people were absolutely ridiculous for printing pictures of maps with swastikas and Hitler on them! Disgusting, absolutely disgusting. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Common sense to prevail.

Dont tell me you live or work in Waterford... :D

Trotter wrote:
    Dont tell me you live or work in Waterford... :D

Hardly any trade secret there if you look to the left of any of my posts.

kilkennycat2004

As for the usual anti-KK ignorant comments from Merlente its exactly what I would have expected from him.
    Hes just like a few other small minded Waterfordians I'm well familiar with that have no feeling for ones sense of identity.

kilkennycat2004

As for the usual anti-KK ignorant comments from Merlente its exactly what I would have expected from him.
    Hes just like a few other small minded Waterfordians I'm well familiar with that have no feeling for ones sense of identity.

The lack of a proper response to valid criticisms is certainly what I expect from you. Still, I wouldn't be too keen to jump in on the side of those who use Hitlerian rhetoric to describe their neighbours either.

And again, this idea that Waterford people have no sense of identity. Will you clear off you troll, you're well known to most of us at this stage.

kilkennycat2004

Just wanted to make complete sure you hadnt made a mistake on that.. Its just odd to see someone being so negative towards the place that gives them a livlihood. Sad to see some KK people biting the hand that feeds them. Common sense says a bigger more prosperous Waterford (at the expense of an area of KK that their council is bleeding dry) would make your life better too.. because you live here.

As for my identity... Whatever it is, it isnt anything to do with a jersey I wear, a parish I'm from, etc. Waterford has provided me with so many other facets to my life that I dont need to go waving my blue and white flag around. Anyway.. I wouldnt like to identify with a county who's councillors spend more time shaking fists of ignorance at other counties than bringing in jobs for their own constituents.

And so.. some are forced so horribly to cross the bridge.

Anyway.. back on topic.. Dick Roche is telling Kilkenny what they want to hear because theres a FF/FG struggle for seats there. Everyone knows Martin Cullen will walk back in so Dick Roche has no need to keep Waterford sweet.

The tune will change post election.. and then.. we shall march in armour with.. horses.. and .. turn back at the train station because the armour was making us sweaty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

In a few months time Dick Roche will not be in Environment, so it will not be "His" decision to make.. He therefore is 100% telling the truth that "he" will not set up a boundary commission, but that does not stop his successor from doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

kilkennycat2004

Anti-KK comments? Small-minded Waterfordians? Was there not some councillor from Kilkenny who 'protested' outside City Hall:rolleyes: in Waterford and proudly announced that she had her 'black and amber knickers' on?

Small-minded doesn't even cover that one. But it's the type of behaviour you tend to expect from people who cannot see the bigger picture. And as for Merlante's alleged anti-KK comments that's complete and utter tripe.

A balanced, rational discussion was taking place prior to these accusations.

But it is, again, the type of paranoiac response you'd expect.;)

merlante wrote:
    And again, this idea that Waterford people have no sense of identity. Will you clear off you troll, you're well known to most of us at this stage.

Revert to name calling as usual. F**n typical.
    Waterfordians have nothing like the sense of identity found in counties such as Kilkenny or Tipperary and seem to have had huge difficulty understanding what this means.
    You cannot redraw lines on maps & think that people who actually do have an identity will just sit back & accept it.
    It was never going to happen & no political party was ever really going to touch it with a barge poll.
    Just another waste of money by Waterford City Council.

Revert to name calling as usual. F**n typical.
    Waterfordians have nothing like the sense of identity found in counties such as Kilkenny or Tipperary and seem to have had huge difficulty understanding what this means.
    You cannot redraw lines on maps & think that people who actually do have an identity will just sit back & accept it.
    It was never going to happen & no political party was ever really going to touch it with a barge poll.
    Just another waste of money by Waterford City Council.

So what about the people of Ferrybank / Newrath area then who have little or no representation? Who's kids go to school 10 minutes away in Waterford, Who have had no money put into their infrastructure, who havent had their roads fixed in years?

I can see this identity thing being an issue fair enough (I dont agree with the small mindedness of it to be honest), but why deprive people on the Waterford border who are a part of the Waterford community of representation and proper funding?

If Kilkenny was interested in these areas, they'd fund them, not bleed them of financial resources which are spent further North.

A nice sweeping generalisation. Does making obscene statements in defence of the bad management of our county council give us a sense of identity?

Has anyone seen the disgusting stuff written on the bridge on the Dublin road just past the Grannagh "roundabout"? I wonder how long it'll take to be cleaned. I cringe at the thoughts of the tourists reading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'd just like to point out that this thread appears as "Dick Roche came out again" on the frontpage :D

This of course based on nothing except your own ignorant,inflated,biased and ultuimately meaningless opinion.Yes your sense of "identity" is so secure you have to come on here and troll the Waterford forum:D

Its not the first time you've unleashed that self deluded bile here.The only other place I've seen anything like it is on an Orange order website.Just replace Waterford with Republic or Dublin and it is the exact same narrow minded rubbish.It seems some "cats" can regurgitate their food.Especially when that "food" involves knocking Waterford and therefore biting the hand that feeds them.

• Advertisement

mad man wrote:
    This of course based on nothing except your own ignorant,inflated,biased and ultuimately meaningless opinion.Yes your sense of "identity" is so secure you have to come on here and troll the Waterford forum:D

Its not the first time you've unleashed that self deluded bile here.The only other place I've seen anything like it is on an Orange order website.Just replace Waterford with Republic or Dublin and it is the exact same narrow minded rubbish.It seems some "cats" can regurgitate their food.Especially when that "food" involves knocking Waterford amd therefore biting the hand that feeds them.

100% correct mad man. The Kilkenny identity couldn't be all that strong if a small boundary change could harm it, and if they feel compelled to have to go on Waterford websites telling us we have no identity.

This sort of bull**** of telling us that we have no identity because we see no problems with the boundary extension is just an attempt to distract us from the truth: Waterford is just a more forward looking place that sees that proper development and organisation is more important than a line on a map.

Kilkenny on the other hand is mired in hate talk: Nazis, Lebensraum, land grabs, etc., and now KKCAT's pathetic attack on Waterford's identity. This is all indicative of a kind of savagery that you just don't get in Waterford. We also do small minded, but the Kilkenny representitives take the biscuit.

Trotter wrote:
    So what about the people of Ferrybank / Newrath area then who have little or no representation? .

Just like the residents of the Lansdowne Road area of Dublin acting as if a stadium popped up overnight in their back garden these people new exactly what county they were setting up home in when purchasing same.
    Also I personally know 6 cohabiting couples who were more than happy to use the Kilkenny County Council joint ownership purchase scheme. Hand that feed indeed.

Just like the residents of the Lansdowne Road area of Dublin acting as if a stadium popped up overnight in their back garden these people new exactly what county they were setting up home in when purchasing same.
    Also I personally know 6 cohabiting couples who were more than happy to use the Kilkenny County Council joint ownership purchase scheme. Hand that feed indeed.

In your heart of hearts you know that Waterford city would make a better fist of south Kilkenny than Kilkenny co. co., but you would rather defend a pointless line on a map, drawn by an English hand, just for the sake of parish pumping and flag waving.

Right.. so you're you saying that the people there knew that there was little or no representation all along, so they've no right to complain now?

Oooooh kayy.

Not that.. maybe its wrong for KK Co.Co. to ignore them.. thats ok right?

Im out of this debate. Its ridiculous. Theres no common sense to it.

Yes a scheme that's funded by central government and is availaible to any citizen in the republic to avail of in any county.One which the local authority still makes a profit on,One that no doubt many a KK person has availed of in Waterford or elsewhere.KK is still part of the country after all.I know a KK couple with ten children who live in a council house in Waterford who could be said to be "work shy".However I'm not going to extapolate anything from it because it is meaningless just like your statement about co-habiting couples(You obviously have an issue with co-habiting couples).However since you seem to have a problem with Waterford couples availing of the affordable housing scheme this only further undermines your statement that Dick Roches refusal was commom sense.You can take comfort in the fact that the aforesaid couples will probably be living in a part of Kilkenny disgracefully neglected by KK co.co.and the slack will be taken up by Waterford City as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mullanimal

Disappointed with Dick Roche's comment but I reckon they feel the Waterford vote is safe... Perhaps as one poster said here he will not be Environment Minister when the decision comes around.

Have to laugh at Waterford having no identity. Kilkenny have a great identity regarding hurling, that is for sure and it is great for them and the likes of Tipp, Cork etc. that they have had so much success in the sport over the years.

Waterford has a great sense of identity and diverse too... we are the oldest city for instance (over 1000 years old) and the country can thank Waterford men for the Irish Flag(TF Meagher), St. Patrick's day feast (Luke Wadding), Rashers (Denny), Crackers (Denny). The CBS was set up in Waterford by a man from Callan who made his fortune here and gave it up here in order to make life better for the poor catholic boys. We have a fantastic culture, our own comprehensive slang, food such as the blaa, we have produced fabulous sporting heroes such as Sean Kelly, John Treacy. Robert Boyle, the father of Chemistry grew up here, Ernest TS Walton, the only Irish man to win the nobel prize for science and the first man to split the atom also hailed from Dungarvan. This is the tip of the iceberg and is more than an identity if you ask me. Besides hurling I would love to hear what makes Kilkenny's identity superiour to ours?

Finally, the comment about Waterford being the most English of counties was some load of tripe especially coming from Kilkenny. Truly laughable.

mullanimal wrote:
    Disappointed with Dick Roche's comment but I reckon they feel the Waterford vote is safe... Perhaps as one poster said here he will not be Environment Minister when the decision comes around.

Have to laugh at Waterford having no identity. Kilkenny have a great identity regarding hurling, that is for sure and it is great for them and the likes of Tipp, Cork etc. that they have had so much success in the sport over the years.

Waterford has a great sense of identity and diverse too... we are the oldest city for instance (over 1000 years old) and the country can thank Waterford men for the Irish Flag(TF Meagher), St. Patrick's day feast (Luke Wadding), Rashers (Denny), Crackers (Denny). The CBS was set up in Waterford by a man from Callan who made his fortune here and gave it up here in order to make life better for the poor catholic boys. We have a fantastic culture, our own comprehensive slang, food such as the blaa, we have produced fabulous sporting heroes such as Sean Kelly, John Treacy. Robert Boyle, the father of Chemistry grew up here, Ernest TS Walton, the only Irish man to win the nobel prize for science and the first man to split the atom also hailed from Dungarvan. This is the tip of the iceberg and is more than an identity if you ask me. Besides hurling I would love to hear what makes Kilkenny's identity superiour to ours?

Finally, the comment about Waterford being the most English of counties was some load of tripe especially coming from Kilkenny. Truly laughable.

....Last but not least the World Famous "Waterford Crystal"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I presume "the most English of counties" crack comes from the Citys Prodestant influx after Cromwell and having close trade and financial links with British port cities like Newport and Bristol, and not obviously 'republican' like west Waterford was and still is I'd say!

Mike.

Have Kilkenny invaded Waterford's Cyber Space?.

from http://www.waterfordcity.ie

click on "Newcomers guide to the South East" and you will notice it take you to a site hosted by kilkenny.ie

Put up the Firewalls quick:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The best bit is the vocabulary section at the end of chapter 1! It even explains what a Blaa is! And what's more, you can check it out in Polish... surreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭jmcc

Bards wrote:
    Have Kilkenny invaded Waterford's Cyber Space?.

from http://www.waterfordcity.ie

click on "Newcomers guide to the South East" and you will notice it take you to a site hosted by kilkenny.ie
    It must be for all the Kilkenny people moving to Waterford. Perhaps having it on the Kilkenny site is the right place? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

They have em in the library in polish, czech and russian. :) As well as english

Advertisement