Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aventis to close in December.

• 14-03-2007 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

200 peeps work there roughly, there has been much speculation at the company for some months now and many reckon the writing was on the wall when the Nenagh plant closed in 2002.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

A bit of a slap all right. I worked there myself for a few years.
    It's sad to see anywhere shut down, but I have a feeling they won't be the last to go in this town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

The company in question has been walking a tight rope for years, but I don't think there was any doubt that this day would come. Manufacturing, unless it is very highly skilled, cannot survive in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Not doubting but is there a link to this news anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The company was Hadensa for years then became Natrapharm then something else - Rhone-Poulenc Rorer (?) then Aventis I think.

The local and national media was parked outside at lunchtime and the MD Michael McGrath did a radio interview on RTE news.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I'm one of those getting the chop.
    We knew it was going to happen some day.
    The plant was just too old and small to last forever in such a big organisation.
    We had quite a few machines come to us over the years from factories that had already been closed. It was just our turn.

Still a bit sad though.:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

The Q&A session after the announcement was made was a waste of time. The management offered no new information up than what they'd already said in the presentation. There are people there on temp contracts, and the MD couldn't even tell them if they'd have a job after the end of the month. Two weeks away.

Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Jor wrote:
    I'm one of those getting the chop.
    We knew it was going to happen some day.
    The plant was just too old and small to last forever in such a big organisation.
    We had quite a few machines come to us over the years from factories that had already been closed. It was just our turn.

Still a bit sad though.:(

Very sorry to hear that butty.

Advertisement