Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

htaccess question

Options
  • 14-03-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

hi

I created a newsletter directory to put HTML files.

I’d like to block the access to http://www.domain.com/newsletter/ but not to the newsletters themselves.

I can’t remember how to do that.

does anyone know ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I'm not 100% on what you want to do.
    Do you have files in a dir which you don't want listed if they go to domain.com/dir? If that's the case then you need to prevent directory listing via a .htaccess file, put this line in a .htaccess file and save it in the dir - IndexIgnore * - You could just put a blank index.html file in the directory too.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Standard Unix permissions will help you here as well.

Providing you own the directory and aren't the user who runs Apache, then:
    $ chmod 711 dirname

If non-octal permissions make more sense use:
    $ chmod u=rwx,g=x,o=x dirname

That means read, write and execute permission for you (i.e. full control), and only execute permissions for everyone else

Execute-only permissions on a directory means you can read files from the directory but only if you know their full name. You cannot get a directory listing.

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

An alternative would be to just throw in an index file into that folder thats empty hence they won't get a directory listing ? as I believe you still want people able to see ... /newsletter/januarynewsletter.html ? if they so wish ?

edit: just saw "Rollo Tamasi" .. blank index file .. :D

Advertisement