Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best route Dublin - Inishowen?

• 14-03-2007 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭

I'm heading up to Inishowen in NW Donegal in a few weeks time, and am wondering as to the best route to take. The AA route planner tells me to take the N2 to the border and then the A5, but since I've never travelled these roads I'm not sure what they're like and where the potential bottlenecks are. I'll be travelling up on a Friday afternoon if that's relevant.

As an aside, is there any kind of online resource that gives a good visual overview (i.e. a map!) of what bits of new road, bypasses, motorway and HQDC are actually completed? Short of going out and buying a new road atlas every month it's a bit hard to keep track of what's open and what's not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

The best way to go would probably be... take the M1 and turn off for Ardee (after toll) - its the N33. Then follow the N2/A5. The only likely bottle-necks would be Omagh and Castleblaney. Castleblaney by-pass is under construction and Omagh has a "through-pass". Most other places are by-passed already. Once you get to Strabane head for Lifford (over the bridge) and then head for Letterkenny. Just outside Letterkenny there is a roundabout for Derry and Inisowen.

The road between Lifford and Letterkenny is in good condition but it can be dangerous as it is quite narrow and has dangerous bends in places. Overall the roads are in good condition all the way up and you should do the journey in around 3h 30 (without stopping) from the southern end of the M50 (but the whole journey time will probably depend on M50 traffic).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

bryanw wrote:
    The best way to go would probably be... take the M1 and turn off for Ardee (after toll) - its the N33. Then follow the N2/A5. The only likely bottle-necks would be Omagh and Castleblaney. Castleblaney by-pass is under construction and Omagh has a "through-pass". Most other places are by-passed already. Once you get to Strabane head for Lifford (over the bridge) and then head for Letterkenny. Just outside Letterkenny there is a roundabout for Derry and Inisowen.

The road between Lifford and Letterkenny is in good condition but it can be dangerous as it is quite narrow and has dangerous bends in places. Overall the roads are in good condition all the way up and you should do the journey in around 3h 30 (without stopping) from the southern end of the M50 (but the whole journey time will probably depend on M50 traffic).
    Thanks for that, Bryan. Just what I was looking for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another option is M1 and on to Newry, Armagh, Caledon and back onto A5 at Aughnacloy.

Slane Bridge on the N2 is a notorious bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

What Bryan said up to Strabane, but unless it's to beat traffic jams in Derry, I don't know why he's taking you through Lifford. I'd go all the way to Derry and then either steer west via Bridge end (for Buncrana and most of east Inishowen) or north via Muff for the Lough Foyle shore (Moville, Greencastle, Quigley's Point and Muff itself).

Edit: This may not be any faster, but an interesting alternative if you want to get to near Moville, but there is a ferry across the mouth of Lough Foyle. For this route, you'd head Belfast-Ballymena-Coleraine-Magilligan, though with the option to avoid Belfast by going via either Crumlin or Cookstown. Probably only useful as a scenic option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

bryanw wrote:

I'm from Lifford and would advise against going to that roundabout. Take the M1 to Dundalk, exit for Castleblayney and then follow the N2/A5 to Strabane. Depending on what part of Inishowen you are going to, you can either go via Lifford or Derry from here. If it is the Buncrana (or Clonmany/Carndonagh/Culdaff/Malin) you are you are going to, go via Lifford in the direction of Letterkenny. About 2km out of Lifford, St. Johnston is signposted to the right. Go to St. Johnston and drive straight through it. On leaving St. Johnston, there is a petrol station on the left hand side. Turn left immediately before it and follow the signs to Buncrana. If you are going to Muff, Quigleys Point, Redcastle, Moville or Greencastle, from Strabane head to Derry and on through Culmore, following the signs to Muff.

• Advertisement

FYI I'm heading for Culdaff. I'll have to get the maps out and examine all the options. Actually, I've just been informed by SWMBO that she's taken the Friday off, so a more relaxed journey might be possible after all. Mackerski's suggestion of the ferry across the mouth of Lough Foyle sounds attractive then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alun wrote:
    FYI I'm heading for Culdaff.
    Strabane-Derry-Muff-Carndonagh-Culdaff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Slane Bridge on the N2 is a notorious bottleneck.

Slane is no longer a real bottleneck... Most of the traffic now takes the M1 and heads onto the N2 at Ardee (Taking the N33 off the M1, signposted Ardee, Derry, (N2))
    If you want a pleasant, non motorway drive, The N2 from Dublin is not a bad option.

It also depends on where in Dublin you are coming from??? If coming from Leixlip, Lucan, Blanchardstown, etc. a good way of getting onto the N2 is taking the N3 North, as far as the Ratoath/Fairyhouse turnoff. Then Heading Straight over to the N2. You'd be on the N2 before you made it to the Airport Via the M50.
    But coming from anywhere else, the M1 option is the best (just like bryanw explained)

All the Towns in Monaghan are now bypassed except Castleblayeny (where a 2+1 bypass is under construction). This is the first town Traffic Meets after leaving Dublin, therefore is the only Major Bottleneck along the rout.
    Another option is M1 and on to Newry, Armagh, Caledon and back onto A5 at Aughnacloy

I definitely wouldn't go this way..... Newry to Armagh is an OK road, but the rest are bad. Don't forget most Southern "N" & "M" roads are now miles ahead of Northern Ireland Roads.
    The N2/N33 rout from M1 to Aughnacloy is an Exceptional Single Carriageway Road except for Castleblayney to Clontibrey (bypass under construction) and a few miles the other side of the Monaghhan Town Bypass (Just Windy, no bottlenecks).

Let us know how you get on???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I go by the M1 and Caledon and I like it. Caledon is an interesting looking town and there is an interesting grove of trees on the two sides of the road for part of it.

Personally, I often go the back-road via Newmanorhamilton to cut a few miles off the journey and get a bit of a feel of the real South Armagh. But I suppose that isn't for everyone. (And I wouldn't be mad about doing it in the pitch dark.)

I am pretty sure that this is the fastest route.

However, the N2 is probably a more pleasant drive as you say. The disadvantage for me is that the road isn't that great and you have to go through a number of towns which can be congested at peak times.

The disadvantage for me is that the road isn't that great and you have to go through a number of towns which can be congested at peak times.

The M1/N33/N2 rout is really good (all Motorway/Single Carriageway Class I standard) as far as Castleblayney.
    North of Monaghan Town, and the A5 is another story. It's not so good in some areas. But none of the routs mentioned will avoid that.
    The main way of avoiding the A5 is by going to Belfast and taking the M2 out of Belfast heading for Derry. But this rout is much longer and you hit the Belfast Westlink bottleneck.

Go the M1/N33/N2 rout...... Simplest, Fastest and Best way to North Donegal.
    You will probably get caught going through Castleblayney (which is a relatively large town)..... but that's the only place you'll see congested at peak times....All other Town south of the border are Bypassed.

• Advertisement

Hi Alun,

Just saw you are living in Bray..... It will take you longer to get to the Airport, than from the Airport to say Castleblayney :)

The M50 or City Centre will by your major Bottleneck en rout.

Enjoy the trip!!!

Skyhater wrote:
    Just saw you are living in Bray..... It will take you longer to get to the Airport, than from the Airport to say Castleblayney :)

The M50 or City Centre will by your major Bottleneck en rout.

Enjoy the trip!!!
    Yeah, pretty much wherever I go in Ireland from here, except the South East, getting to the real start of the trip via the M50 is always the longest stretch!

I think I'll stick to the M1/N33/N2/A5 option and use smashey's suggestion to avoid Derry.

Thanks for all your help! I've also just found out from SWMBO that the trip is going to be postponed a bit and will now be the May Bank Holiday weekend. I'll let you know how I get on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I never found the traffic to be that bad in Derry centre. fwiw I went, M1 to Ardee, Omagh, Derry, Carn.
    Going to Letterkenny adds time to the journey imo.
    The whole trip usually took me 4-5 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I agree that you should go via Derry if it suits. The traffic is pretty well managed, and I mean, where else in Ireland do you get to drive across a double-decker bridge? I like to park the car (plenty of parking in Derry, for an obvious reason if you think about it) and go up on the Walls too, if I have a bit of time.

Re N2, Monaghan isn't bypassed, is it?

And no matter what way you go, there is a well-kept supermarket/petrol station in Aughnacloy to stop for a toilet break or to get something quick to eat.

Re N2, Monaghan isn't bypassed, is it?

Yep Monaghan Town is Bypassed for N2 and N12 Traffic..... Opened Last Year!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Buy the Michelin Map of Ireland for about 7 euro.

www.viamichelin.com
    Alun wrote:
    SWMBO
    Some Welsh Man with Body Odour?

Victor wrote:
    Some Welsh Man with Body Odour?
    She Who Must Be Obeyed :) I think you can guess who that refers to!

Advertisement