Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo St. Patricks Day parade

Options
  • 14-03-2007 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

Just wondered if anyone has more info about it. I know there was a lot of trouble about it not going through O'Connell Street but I've given up listening to Ocean fm so I don't know much about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

from the sligo champion

SLIGO Borough Council requested the St. Patrick’s Day Committee to route this year’s parade via an alternative due to the closure of O’Connell Street to traffic, it has been confirmed.

“O’Connell Street was pedestrianised in summer 2006 and the Council has major plans for the enhancement of the street, including paving, landscaping, seating and other street furniture.

“Following consultation with the St. Patrick’s Day Committee, it was agreed that the Parade would follow an alternative route in this and future years,” said a spokesperson for the Borough Council.

The Parade Committee announced in last week’s Sligo Champion, that O’Connell Street would not be re-opened for the Parade.

Following a meeting last Tuesday night it was agreed that the Parade would continue from Wine Street, across Hughes Bridge and turn left onto Markievicz Road, going up Connaughton Road and finishing at the Garda Station via Bridge Street and Thomas Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

No, the parade WILL be going up O'Connell Street!
    The council did a u-turn, thank God. I mean how ridiculous would it be for the parade not to be going up the town's main street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Thats good then, I also see in the paper that they have limited the amount of commercial vehicles so thats a good move too.

so did anyone got to the sligo town parade? Was it good?
    I didn't go, the weather was too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I didn't go either, the weather was too bad and we were all ill. :(

• Advertisement

magnumlady wrote:
    I didn't go either, the weather was too bad and we were all ill. :(

Sorry to hear that. Haven't been 100% myself either the last few months. Thank God the Summer is just around the corner.

Read in the Weekender anyway that the Parade Judges said the floats and window displays weren't great at all. We didn't miss much then!

Advertisement